Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 60 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 129 reviews
on August 6, 2017
First, I am, and always have been, a big fan of Robert Redford's works, environmental concerns, cultural/Spiritual ideas, and what I perceive to be his politics. Most of the things set forth in this book, I already knew, but I thought I might learn something new, so I downloaded it to my Kindle. I wish I had read the earlier reviews before I took the journey of reading this boring book.

Second, the author must have been paid by the word as he compiled as many words as possible; no wonder it took him ten years to write it. To paraphrase one of Redford's quotes, on page 368 (Kindle): "Do we really need to know such a huge amount of detail about the minutiae of every person and event of the lives of every person who ever interacted with Robert Redford?" My answer is NO; we wanted to read about Redford, not every person with whom Redford ever came into contact with.
on June 26, 2017
It has to be difficult to write about the life of another person and to cover all the bases. To present someone as mercurial as Robert Redford has to be an especially daunting task. However, this reader was left wanting more about his personal life - his interactions with his wives and his children; his views about the other women and co-workers in his life. His views on his legacy and what he leaves behind. More direct quotes and photos about the different phases of his life, which would have added so much. This is such a talented, interesting, multi-layered person, yet the author, like many biographers, chose to follow the cinematic trail of Redford's life rather than unravel those layers. This book would have been more aptly titled, "The Cinematic Robert Redford." For these efforts, it ranks 4 stars with this reader. The subject may be such a private "mountain man" that we may never see an autobiography. And yet, this reader waits ....
on August 8, 2017
Good biography of Redford, although I felt there was something missing. I felt that the book did not capture the essence of this complicated man. There was something missing re what makes him tick. Perhaps that is because Redford himself is guarded about his privacy which is something I have always respected and admired about him. This is a long and fairly thorough book that apparently had Redford's full cooperation. Ergo, it is safe to assume that this is all the man will allow to be known about him as a person.
on June 23, 2011
Like many of the other reviewers on this page, I looked forward to reading this book. But, honestly, this is more of a meticulously manicured autobiography than it is a biography. It's truly as though Redford was hanging over the author's shoulder with a gigantic red pen, carefully sculpting his own quotations to the point that they ring ridiculously false. It's as dry as dead wood, void of emotion except when waxing poetic about periods of Zen loneliness. It's as though Redford existed almost entirely alone in a bubble, because there's so little mention of real human interaction with people. It's all business. Granted, as long as a celebrity is alive, he has a responsiblity to present himself in a favorable light, because the media does whatever it can to counter that. But this book suffers from an almost insane need to present the subject as a very deep-thinking, very serious intellectual who traverses the continent with a furrowed brow. At times it's almost cartoonish, how people sort of just bounce off of him as he moves from project to project. I felt starved for some indication of human foibles. But even his quotations are calculated! I found that the most annoying, by far. No one responds verbally in perfectly formed bits of erudition. I felt claustrophic reading this. It's wrapped up in a stuffy tuxedo and a bow tie that's way too small.
on September 19, 2014
Because this is an authorized biography it draws on Redford's own thoughts about the very impressive activities in his life. More than an actor and director, his life as an environmental activist and visionary for his film institute comes into focus here. The writing is workmanlike and practical. One still gets the sense of retained privacy which seems just fine. An interesting read about an interesting and substantial person.
on July 4, 2017
We always think the "stars" have it all. This book gives us a view as to the inner struggles of the man. I did start to get bogged down in the details of how each movie was created. I personally recommend watching Bagger Vance and An Unfinished Life neither of which did well at the box office but are worth a watch.
on August 16, 2017
I was surprised that we attended the same schools in los angeles. Also that he wanted to be an artist !
on July 29, 2017
Done.
on May 26, 2011
Robert Redford is an irresistible subject for a major biography. First, his career spans a tremendous range of Hollywood history. He has proven himself to be a chameleon as a stage actor, film actor, director, activist, and public person. He has broken convention time and time again. He represents an American ideal.

Unfortunately, this book is simply poorly edited and written. It benefits from Robert Redford's approval and access. However, it simply contains a lot of verbatim quotes from people in his life as well as Bob Redford himself. It would have benefited from more context about the times-- the box offices draws, other current events, and so forth and somehow, more about what makes Robert Redford tick. He somehow springs nearly full formed into a major movie star in the book from humble beginnings. How did that happen? How did he overcome the stereotypes? This book makes it look a little too easy and that makes for tedious reading.
on April 8, 2014
I loved this book and have even re-read it several times. Beautifully written, numerous insights, incredibly interesting. I would highly recommend this book.