Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Robin Whalley
Robin Whalley is a Landscape Photographer with a passion for software, photo editing and a skill for sharing knowledge. He’s been honing his photography skills since 2000, starting first with film before moving quickly to embrace digital. Although not widely known as a photographer, his work has sold around the world and appeared in the popular photographic press. His photography has also appeared in several exhibitions, including The Landscape Photographer of the Year. He now runs Lenscraft Photography, where he shares insights into creating beautiful and engaging photographs.
Visit Robin's Lenscraft website https://lenscraft.co.uk
Read Robin's Blog https://www.thelightweightphotographer.com
Watch Robin on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/robinwhalley
Customers Also Bought Items By
Titles By Robin Whalley
Does your photography library feel out of control?
If you are like most photographers I know, your library of images is growing almost uncontrollably. Sometimes you try to organise them but it’s difficult to know what to do. After struggling for a while, you admit defeat and go back to ignoring the problem. But you’re left with a nagging feeling at the back of your mind. Your photography is a mess and it’s becoming harder to find the images you’re looking for. And what about that backup that you keep putting off because the backup drive is full? You know your hard drive will eventually fail and when it does, you lose everything.
If this sounds familiar, you’re not alone. Photographers everywhere are facing the same problems, and they feel out of control.
But what if I told you there is a better way?
Imagine that I can show you how to easily organise your photography using a method that could handle any number of images. That helps you sort and search for your best photos in seconds. Where you can make regular and automatic backups so that you don’t risk losing valuable images. And what if we can do all this using the existing features in Lightroom. Would you be interested?
Well, there is a way. Following the quick and simple workflow laid out in this book you will learn:
- How to use a self-organising and expandable folder structure to hold your photography.
- Create a bespoke workflow to suit your needs, whilst easily organising your photographs.
- Ways to sort and filter your images so as not to waste time.
- Tools to find the perfect image amongst thousands.
- What to do with all the finished images you produce when editing.
- How and why to use keywords, even if you don’t sell stock photography.
- Ways to move and reorganise an existing photo library that’s already in a mess.
- Storing and backing up your photo library so as not to risk losing everything.
Even if you have hundreds of thousands of disorganised images, you can quickly regain control following the simple steps in this book.
If you don’t feel confident using Lightroom, don’t worry. Everything you need to know is explained in the step-by-step instructions in a way that’s easy to follow.
This method works with both the latest version of Lightroom Classic CC, and older pre-CC versions of Lightroom
Regain control of your photography today with this concise, easy to follow guide.
Quickly learn Affinity Photo image editing
Affinity Photo is the hot photo editing package from Serif. It can compete head on with the latest version of Photoshop. It’s also affordable, incredibly powerful and exceptionally flexible. But all this power and flexibility brings its own challenges.
Just like Photoshop, Affinity Photo can be confusing and tricky to learn. Even with a background in Photoshop image editing it’s likely you will miss a lot of its features. And unlike Photoshop you won’t have an endless choice of books to learn from. Which is where “Essential Affinity Photo” comes to the rescue.
In this comprehensive yet easy to follow book, Landscape Photographer Robin Whalley explains the core features of Affinity Photo Desktop. Written in his unique, easy to understand style, Robin explains logically the essential techniques you need to know to learn Affinity Photo. Follow this book and its examples and you will soon be editing images as though you have been using the software for years.
The book is arranged into a series of lessons that focus in on the essential image editing skills. Each lesson builds on the previous one, minimising repetition and saving you valuable time.
You will learn about:
- Different Affinity Photo Personas, what these do and how to navigate them.
- The Develop Persona, using it to convert a Raw photo file into a high-quality image.
- How layers form the backbone of the Photo Persona and how to use them to improve your editing.
- Different Adjustment layers, filters and live filters you can apply, to fine tune and improve your photography.
- How to convert your images to black and white as well as important techniques such as Dodging and Burning.
- Creating and using layer masks to precisely target your adjustments to specific areas of an image.
- Harnessing the power of the Export Persona.
- And lots more.
Throughout the book there are examples and exercises for you to follow. The author provides the images for these on his website, allowing you to follow along on your own computer.
You won’t need to wade through hundreds of pages to find answers. This is a comprehensive and concise guide to help you learn Affinity Photo. It doesn’t matter if you are a complete novice or have some experience of Affinity Photo, this book could help improve your Affinity Photo editing.
Become a Photo Editing Master
In November 2021, Adobe launched a version of Lightroom with features that set the photography world buzzing. But there was much more to this release than a collection of new features. This was a new approach to editing in Lightroom, with tools that for the first time allowed photographers to create masks rivalling Photoshop.
In this easy-to-follow book, landscape photographer Robin Whalley guides you through these new Lightroom tools and how to use them. With his usual no-nonsense approach, he carefully explains the tools and how they have changed Lightroom.
Here you will learn about:
- Each of the selection and masking tools including the new Select Sky and Select Subject Tools.
- The different elements of the new Masks Panel.
- Combining the different selection tools to create previously impossible masks.
- How the Add and Subtract options are used to refine Masks.
- How to intersect selections to easily create complex Masks.
In addition to a detailed description of the tools, there are four full-length editing examples. You can also download the image files for these from the author’s website, allowing you to follow the examples on your own computer.
Make the most of Lightroom 11’s new selection and masking tools with this easy-to-follow guide.
The material in this book duplicates my Adobe Camera RAW book with the same title. If you already have that book, you do not need this.
Are you ready to improve your skills and knowledge of Affinity Photo?
If you ever find yourself wondering how to do something in Affinity Photo, then this book is for you. It doesn’t matter if you are a novice or advanced Affinity user, you are likely to discover something you didn’t know by reading this book.
In Affinity Photo How To you will learn how to perform common tasks such as how to crop a photo, how to sharpen an image or how to create a mask. But in doing so you will learn much more than just a collection of simple techniques.
Each chapter of the book focusses on a different activity, and using instructive exercises, explains how Affinity Photo works. Importantly, it links what might seem unrelated activities together, to build your understanding and editing skill in Affinity Photo. By the end of this book, you will find you are delving deep into Affinity Photo to perform tasks such as easily creating complex selections and masks.
Here are just a few examples of what you will learn:
How to customise almost every aspect of the Affinity interface.
How to control the many different options when exporting an image, like colour space, bit depth and image resolution.
How to edit images using different colour formats for example RGB and CMYK, but how to do this without changing the image format.
How to easily add layer effects including shadows, outlines, and glows.
How blending modes work and how you can use these with different Affinity Photo tools like the Paint Brush.
How to use the Refine Selection dialog to greatly improve the accuracy of a selection automatically.
Accompanying the many exercises in this book are sample files. You can download these from the author's website, allowing you to follow along in your own copy of Affinity Photo.
Packed with tips and advice, this book is a valuable resource for all users of Affinity Photo.
Unlock the Hidden Power of Adobe Photoshop CC
Adobe Photoshop CC is loaded with powerful photo editing tools, and yet its most powerful features are hidden away. Let me help you tap Photoshop’s most potent tools and begin to work just like a professional photo editor.
Here are a few of the things you will learn in this book:
- The fundamentals of how Layers work in Photoshop. How to work with and organise them, making Photoshop faster and easier to use.
- Learn about the different types of Photoshop layers, including detailed instructions for using EVERY Adjustment Layer. These are some of Photoshop’s most powerful tools.
- How to use the Blend If controls to make targeted adjustments to photos based on colour and tone.
- How the different Blend Modes work in Photoshop. You will learn how to use these to make editing faster and easier as well as create amazing effects.
- How to use Smart Objects in your editing, to save you time in both the short and long term.
- Ways to combine different tools and techniques to produce impressive effects with ease.
Even if you have never worked with Layers before, this book will give you the tools to quickly advance your skills. All that’s assumed is that you have basic Photoshop knowledge. Everything you need to know is explained step by step in detail.
This book is loaded with illustrations, exercises, and examples. You can download the supporting image files from my website to follow the editing on your own computer. There are even links to supporting YouTube videos that I've published.
This is a book written for photographers by a photographer.
No fluff. No filler. Just clear instruction and help.
Lightroom is powerful and easy to use. But it isn’t always obvious how to achieve the best results. In fact, many of the most powerful features are buried away and easily overlooked. It’s also not obvious in which order to apply your adjustments, which can make a substantial difference to your results.
This comprehensive, yet concise guide to Lightroom’s Develop module, is organised into four sections:
Section 1 – Lays the foundations to help you work quickly and effectively in Lightroom. The features covered here are often ignored, yet they can make it much easier to edit your photographs.
Section 2 – Provides detailed guidance for all the adjustment tools. Use this section to develop your skills, and then later as a reference. It’s also packed with hard earned tips from many thousands of hours using Lightroom.
Section 3 – Explains how to make selective adjustments to your images. Creating selections is one of the most valuable editing techniques you can develop. Despite this, surprising few people can do it well. This section will guide you through creating detailed and complex selection with ease.
Section 4 – Helps you develop your Lightroom workflow. You can then apply this to the three comprehensive examples. RAW files to accompany the examples can be downloaded from the authors website, allowing you to follow along on your own computer.
This book will help you:
- Fix common problems with your images.
- Learn how to reveal the full potential in your photos, making them stand out from the crowd.
- Create complex and precise selections that leave most people wondering how.
- Develop a standard workflow you can apply to any image, for great results.
- Use important tools and adjustments, but also understand why.
- Understand the best way to tackle any image and what order to apply your adjustments.
- Find new and powerful uses for tools you may previously have ignored.
The Photographers Guide to Lightroom’s Develop module has been written and illustrated with the latest Lightroom Classic CC edition (release January 2018). But if you’re using an earlier version of Lightroom, it’s still relevant but you won’t have access to all the features covered.
This book has been written for photographers by a photographer. It assumes only a limited knowledge of Lightroom’s Develop module but will quickly build your skills to an impressive level. It doesn’t matter if you find Lightroom a challenge, everything is explained with the author’s characteristic, no-nonsense approach.
If you want to achieve excellent results fast, follow the guidance in this book.
Revealing the Powerful Photoshop Masking techniques of the professional image editor.Easy to understand, with step by step instruction and illustration.
In this clearly explained book, Landscape Photographer Robin Whalley reveals a powerful collection of Photoshop techniques. Tools enabling you to create complex and impressive photography in minutes. You don’t need to spend hours in Photoshop once you understand a few simple techniques.
Photoshop masks are one of the most powerful and flexible editing tools you can use. They make possible complex adjustments. Adjustments that can transform a photograph. Take the cover of this book for example. The image was taken in the middle of the day. And yet it’s been transformed into a moody nigh time scene. All of this was achieved using masks and is explained step by step for you to follow.In this book you’ll learn to:
- Produce detailed and complex masks in minutes not hours.
- Create detailed Channel Masks, allowing you to replace a boring sky or change a colour.
- Quickly generate Luminosity Masks to target adjustments on the highlights, shadows or midtones of an image.
- Make complex selections using the latest Photoshop CC tools as well as traditional techniques. It doesn’t matter how old your version of Photoshop is, there will be techniques you can use.
- Quickly clean up masks with a simple brushing technique. This enables you to beautifully blend adjustments, essential in creating realistic photography.
The complex subject of Photoshop masking has been distilled into this easy to use book. Featuring many examples, you can follow along using the actual image files supplied on the author’s website.Cut through the hype and confusion circulating on the internet and learn Photoshop masking. Even if you have tried to before and struggled, this book can help you.
Newly expanded and revised, May 2021
In this latest edition covering Nik Color Efex Pro 4, landscape photographer Robin Whalley explains how to make the most of this powerful and versatile photo editor. In his usual straightforward style, he carefully guides you through using Nik Color Efex Pro 4 as both a plugin and standalone photo editor.
After explaining the many features and how you might use them, the 55 Color Efex Pro filters are described in full. Each filter and its controls are detailed, together with useful tips and advice for combining the different filters.
You will learn how to:
- Use and manage Control Points to make complex selections and adjustments with ease.
- Integrate Nik Color Efex Pro 4 into your workflow as either a Plugin or standalone editor.
- Combine multiple filters to greatly improve your editing results.
- Apply the non-destructive workflow introduced in the Nik Collection 3 by DxO.
- Work with the Nik Selective Tool in Photoshop.
At the end of the book are four full length editing examples using only Nik Color Efex Pro 4. The examples demonstrate how to use the software to transform ordinary colour photography and elevate it to a new level. The starting images are available to download on the authors website, allowing you to follow the examples on your own computer.
This comprehensive book assumes no prior knowledge of Nik Color Efex Pro 4 and is ideal for both the beginning and intermediate Nik user. It covers all versions of Nik Color Efex Pro 4 up to and including the version in the Nik Collection 3 by DxO.
Immediately improve your Nik Color Efex Pro 4 skills with this book and take your photography to new heights.
Learn to manage your images like a professional.
Are you struggling with too many photos cluttering up your computer?
Do you find you can’t keep pace with the growth in your image library?
Can you find the photo you need quickly, or are you wasting time browsing thousands of images?
Are you faced with a backlog of photos, unsure of the best way to organise them?
In this comprehensive yet easy to follow guide, Landscape Photographer Robin Whalley explains how Lightroom can help you manage your photo library. Written in his unique, easy to understand style, Robin explains logically everything you need to know. Even if you find yourself with a huge backlog of images, this book will help you to wrestle back control.
Section 1 provides an overview of the Lightroom Catalog and the important feature of the Library Module. This ensures you understand the most important tools and can be used as quick reference guide later.
Section 2 then explains how to apply the tools of the Library Module to real-world problems and situations.
You will learn:
- Why the Catalog is critical to Lightroom and how to avoid some costly but very common mistakes.
- How to organise your digital photographs and how this relates to Lightroom’s folders.
- How to import photos to Lightroom, while using automation to save yourself time later.
- To apply Flags, Ratings and Labels to your photos, helping you sort and organise your photo library.
- To quickly find photos, even from a library with many thousands of images.
- To create and manage a vocabulary of keywords, adding these to your photos.
This book doesn’t have you wading through hundreds of pages to find answers. It’s a comprehensive and concise guide to quickly help you to manage your photos like a professional. Seemingly complex processes are summarised into a simple to apply but effective workflow.
Follow this guide to regain control of your photo library.
Become a Photo Editing Master
Towards the end of 2021, Adobe launched a version of its Photoshop Camera RAW software with features that set the photography world buzzing. But there was much more to this release than a collection of new features. This was a new approach to editing in Camera RAW, with tools that easily allow photographers to create masks rivalling what could be achieved in Photoshop with more complex techniques.
In this easy-to-follow book, landscape photographer Robin Whalley guides you through these new Adobe Camera RAW tools in Photoshop and how to use them. With his usual no nonsense approach, he carefully explains the tools and how they have changed Camera RAW.
Here you will learn about:
• Each of the selection and masking tools including the new Select Sky and Select Subject Tools.
• The different elements of the new Masks Panel.
• Combining the different selection tools to create previously impossible masks.
• How the Add and Subtract options are used to refine Masks.
• How to intersect selections to easily create complex Masks.
In addition to a detailed description of the tools, there are four full length editing examples. You can also download the image files for these from the author’s website, allowing you to follow the examples on your own computer.
Make the most of Adobe Camera RAW’s new selection and masking tools with this easy-to-follow guide.
The material in this book duplicates my Lightroom book with the same title. If you already have that book, you do not need this.
Save Time, Money and Frustration
It was a sad email that brought this book about. I wish it was unique, but it wasn’t; I receive emails just like this, all too frequently.
The gentleman in question was delighted when he was asked to show his photography. He tried hard to print his photos for the exhibition, but eventually gave up in frustration. As well as the expense of a new printer, the paper and the ink, he was running short of time. He decided his best option was to send the photos to a printing service. What came back shocked him; the photos were worse than his own attempts and that’s when he contacted me for help. We did solve his problem, quite easily as it happens, and I decided I had to write this book.
This book is here to help everyone who’s ever struggled to print their photography.
Creating prints to match your computer screen is something you can achieve. What prevents most people is misinformation, fragmented systems, and seemly technical problems. This book presents a clear and easily understood approach to printing photography. One you can follow repeatedly, to achieve perfect prints every time.
In this step by step guide you learn:
- The essentials of Colour Management, to ensure the colours you see on the computer look the same in your prints.
- Understand how to select the best resolution for your printer and paper choice.
- How to soft proofing your images so you know exactly how the prints will turn out. And if they don’t look right, how you can fix them.
- Configure the print driver in your computer to reproduce colours and tones accurately.
- To prepare images for printing by a third-party. Be certain the printed photos will match your screen rather than relying on luck.
- How to select a paper to enhance and do justice to your photography.
- To avoid common problems encountered when printing.
You can easily follow and apply the approach in this book. It doesn’t matter if intend to print yourself or send your photos to a third party. This book will help you produce consistent, high quality prints for less than the cost of a branded ink cartridge.
Avoid frustration, wasted time and expensive. Follow this systematic approach to photo printing.
(A new edition of this book is now available - "Mastering Photoshop CC Layers")
Concise, easy to follow steps makes learning Photoshop a snap
If you want to achieve professional results, use professional techniques. Layers, Layer Masks and Blending Modes are the tools of choice amongst professional image editors.
In this concise book, Landscape Photographer Robin Whalley guides us through these essential tools and techniques. Specifically designed to meet the needs of the photographer, this guide is packed with easy to follow examples and advice.How this book will help you
The book is arranged into three sections:
- Section 1 explains how to work with layers and how you can apply their power to your photography.
- Section 2 looks at using masks together with layers. You will learn how to easily target adjustments onto precise areas of an image. You will also learn powerful techniques to create complex masks with ease. The section concludes with a detailed example, combining two images seamlessly into one.
- Section 3 examines how Photoshop blending modes can be used with layers. It will help you quickly understand the different blending modes, what they do and how you can use them. Several blending mode recipes are presented to reinforce your understanding of the different modes. The section concludes with a powerful demonstration of blending modes, combining photography and image textures into beautiful digital art.
To support the book’s many examples, Robin provides the images. These can be downloaded from his website, allowing you to practice on your own computer. This is a concise book focused on helping you develop your Photoshop skills. Don’t waste valuable time, needlessly wading through pages of filler content.
If you want to learn Photoshop Layers fast, read this book.
The techniques in this book can be used with any version of Adobe Photoshop supporting layers, including the latest Creative Cloud release. Please note, the book doesn’t apply to Elements or Lightroom.