Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 1, 2016
Our fourteen year old liked the adventure and survival techniques of the island. She said this book reminded her to not give up and be lethargic in your circumstances but to be active in problem solving. She also was encouraged to stand up for those in underprivileged circumstances or in abusive situations and not just be a by stander. She liked there was a lot to take away from this book. She would recommend this book to whoever likes adventure.

Our eleven year old liked the ingenuity of Crusoe when he was stranded on the island. She said it made her think of being creative if she were ever stranded somewhere without the proper resources. She disliked the beginning because she felt it was too slow moving. She would recommend this book because it is a good book and you can learn a lot of stuff, specifically if you feel like you are at an end, keep trying because you can always find a way.

As the mom, I am thankful the book kept both girls engaged. We had many points for discussion throughout the entire book. I would recommend all families with children in middle school and above to read this book aloud as a family. I look forward to reading it again when our younger two are older. (I can't say that about all of the books we read aloud.)
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 5, 2017
I used to work at Macmillan when Scribner was under the Macmillan umbrella and I knew when I bought this edition that it was the highest quality you can buy. The N.C. Wyeth illustrations are wonderful and they're on the very best high quality paper. All the Scribner Classics are well made. If you like classics, you'll love these editions. They are very well bound on very good paper and, as I just said, the illustrations are on the very best paper. For the price, you're getting a great deal. The only drawback: because it's such a high quality edition, you'll want to take very, very good care of it. Read it away from anything that might spill on it. Try to keep it away from any humidity. I know I'm sounding like a crazy book person and, okay, I probably am, but when you buy it, you'll see what I mean.
22 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 18, 2015
I had not read "Robinson Crusoe", as a youngster or as required in school. I thought I knew the story, but I was very pleasantly surprised and pleased by every page. With scenes that could have come from, "Two Years Before the Mast", and "Treasure Island", Daniel Defoe weaves a story of magic and experimentation. Our Crusoe is an "old time" MacGyver. I was mesmerized as Crusoe invented useful implements from the ruins of the sunken ship and those things he found on his island. Crusoe's main home and his alternate abode were described with exacting detail. It was as if I was helping him build and bring in his crops The introduction of "Friday" and how he impacted Crusoe was touching and realistically humanitarian. This is not only a story of survival, but one of a man's need to live, love his God, and look for a new tomorrow. I recommend this fine novel to readers starting at middle teens and all adults. There are several other novels that Mr. Defoe has written that follow the further adventures of his Robinson Crusoe. This first original start of "Robinson Crusoe", is a must. Please read and enjoy it, as I have. David G. Parsons.
I read this in high school about 50 years ago and decided to reread this book written about 1712 or so. Once I got past the ancient writing style, I got hooked on the imagery. I thought I recalled the book, but what I recalled was the various Robinson Crusoe movies that I had seen. Needless to say the book is much different than Hollywood's version. For example, Crusoe's faithful friend and servant Friday was not a black African but rather a South American Indian. Reading the book in the original is more difficult because of the very long sentences with punctuation not much in use nowadays. Also, it sends you back to the culture of that time period where slavery, servants, etc. were part of everyday life, and things like blood-letting assumed to work great. I got the free version put together from OCR of the original and a team of volunteers to edit the text, which was great except for a few clunkers. All in all I recommend it as a great read.
on January 26, 2017
Obviously of its time, but surprisingly fun and easy to read. Sort of hard to imagine that to most of the British colonialists in India or to the naval officers fighting Napoleon, this book would have already been considered quite old.

The first half of the book is a classic (the classic) shipwreck survival tale and very clear in its parallel of the castaway's physical survival alone to everyone's spiritual survival in the privacy of their relationship to mortality. A worthy companion to Milton or to Pilgrim's Progress, both of which it echoes in a lot of ways.

The second half is a straight up 18th century adventure novel, which is quite fun. The attitudes towards servitude cross over, even for the time (I think), into pure fantasy. Easy to see why it was so popular for so long.
on November 9, 2017
I would offer "0" stars, if possible. This edition is thin, without page numbers, and the book ended in the MIDDLE OF A SENTENCE! Obviously, it is not a legitimate copy, and is a fraud. If I had only purchased one copy, I would not be so upset, but I bought 17 copies for a book discussion group and cannot return them! This "publisher" is fraudulent and Amazon should not allow them to sell this knock-off of the real thing. VERY FRUSTRATING!
review imagereview image
on November 2, 2015
This is a classic of English literature so I am not reviewing the book only the version. It is an excellent copy, it is exactly what you would think of a version aimed at young readers. I wish it had notes and I wish it had the original spelling and not modern spelling. Someone should put out an adult version with the N.C. Wyeth illustrations but I cannot down rate this edition for not being my preferred edition.
on January 22, 2018
The last time I read this book was close to 60 years ago, while still in high school, where it was assigned, as one of the required books for the term, in our Freshman English class. That was way back, when schools actually required students to read at least 4 books, each semester of every year, just for their English course. While the syntax and language are, at times, arcane, the story is a classic one, to which I recommend all readers.
on March 7, 2014
I was looking for the original version of Robinson Crusoe. I looked at several of the other book's ratings, and I wasn't very impressed. Some of the books were not the original version; I didn't want anything that was added to or taken from. Others were the original Robinson Crusoe plus the sequel. I found this book, and it said that it was the complete original version. Usually, I am a little wary about purchasing new and unrated books, but I decided to give it a try. I was very happy with this book!
I think that Daniel Defoe did a great job at this book. I found some reviews about Robinson Crusoe from some other books that said it was incredibly boring and hard to finish. I did not find this the case at all! There was one portion of the book that seemed a little redundant, but I definitely never wanted to quit reading it.
If you want to read this book, give yourself a little time. I had to read a Daniel Defoe book for school, and I chose this one. It is a good book, but it could be a little difficult to read just because it was written in a different time period. I wouldn't really suggest this book if you don't have a little time. For me, this was not one of those read-in-a-few-hours books (and I LOVE to read!!!).
Overall, this was a great book that spurs the imagination and keeps the reader interested!
on May 23, 2014
For anyone who considers themselves well-read, this book is a must. It used to be required reading in many schools, and there's a good reason for it: a basic understanding of the many profound advances that society enjoys, and a long-forgotten touch of grateful contemplation of the state of modern human existence can be gleaned from nearly every chapter.

From the dangers of going to sea, to the state of man without neighbors, to the use of various common items in uncommon ways under the harshest of circumstances, each chapter brings to mind new appreciation of the world our forebears encountered in any new venture to "new lands" or wild and unsettled nature, foreign business dealings, and the degree of planning and discipline required to survive such endeavors. Amongst all of this is a demonstration of great literary proficiency, and an observation of even more intense adventure than most contemporary works, and although the writing style may take some practice and diligent reading to fully absorb, the effort is well worthy and quickly mastered due to the simple fascination instilled in the reader.

They just don't make 'em like this anymore.

Highly, highly recommended.