Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 347 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 634 reviews
on January 3, 2014
For anyone who is not familiar with the Penguin Clothbound Classics editions, you're missing out on something wonderful. These are well produced clothbound editions, much better quality than most "hardbound" books now. The price is very low--if you buy them when they first come out...drat that I missed the Madame Bovary and Crime and Punishment releases that now cost hundreds of dollars. The price is typically lower than other "hardbound" books; in fact, the price is not that much more than the price of the Penguin Paperback edition of the work, but this copy will last a lifetime.

As with the other Penguin Clothbound Classic editions, this too includes introductory material and appendices typical of other Penguin editions.

I hope Penguin continues to release titles in the Clothbound Classics series, and I wish it would release more titles per year in the series.
on October 27, 2011
For those only familiar with the more "abridged" versions of the story that are popularly printed, this version is the original. It's less a story of a man castaway on a remote island than the story of a man railing at a god he professes not to believe in--complaining about having to live with the consequences of his decisions and blaming that same god for giving him a hard life.

Those unfamiliar with the original text and context should also be aware that the racism of the times comes through very clearly in Crusoe's thoughts about and treatment of the "natives" he encounters.

Generally I'm a big fan of NOT abridging classic texts and I'm sure there's merit in this well-known classic but I found it hard, slow reading.
on January 18, 2016
Robinson Crusoe is a classic. However, I have always found the middle of the book very boring. Defoe spends, in my opinion, too much time discussing the mundane activities Crusoe performs for survival rather than developing his character. Defoe is also a proponent of slavery because he writes numerous times about Crusoe's desire to obtain servants and going on a journey to obtain slaves. Besides my couple personal issues it is a wonderful book and a must read classic.
on May 27, 2017
Read this because it was referenced in another novel, Crusoe's Daughter. Since I had never read it and it's considered a classic, I thought I should read it. There were quite a few surprises to me. I thought I knew the general plot, but I had no knowledge of any details. It was worth my time to have read it.
on October 19, 2015
What a great story. There is so mush more to it than a person would realize. Most people would know about the Island part of the story. Yet the Island is only a section of the book. The whole adventure is quite long with twists and turns. The old English style takes a bit to get used to, however the reader soon adapts, and the writing is really very good. I read the book via Kindle so the dictionary came in handy to understand some words that have fallen out of use in today's English. Also, it gives an excellent insight to the times the book is set in. The best book I've read this year.
on October 5, 2006
I finished this a couple months ago and really enjoyed it. If nothing else, this classic is historically interesting for revealing the worldview of a 17th-century Englishman. The world was far more interconnected even in that day that we might imagine. Crusoe's forays into Portugal, Morocco, Africa and Brazil speak to that.

I came away with a greater appreciation for the problem solving skills, critical thinking, creativity, and physical strength that pre-modern humans had to draw on daily. As moderns, most of us plop ourselves in front of the computer screen or televsion and lead a comparatively easy life.

The inspiration in this story is Crusoe's ability to find the positive in any situation. He starts out grumbling about his isolation on the island, and his dim prospects for any rescue. He comes to see though, that he alone was saved from drowning in the shipwreck. So he comes to appreciate the very fact of life. He also comes to appreciate how he has been provided for, and that the simple things in life are most important. He comes to an increasingly deepening awareness of and faith in God. One of the only items salvaged from the ship was a Bible. Crusoe's thoughts on God and his interaction with the biblical text show how central religious faith was to the author, and the pride of place it held in most Europeans' lives at that time.
on January 13, 2012
My favorite book of all time. I have read it several times, but I recently bought my first Kindle and wanted to read this book first on it. Turns out I read faster on a Kindle, because I finished this book in record time!

The adventures presented in this book are second-to-none, but what always capitvates me is the detail of Crusoe's habitations on the island. I have to admit, every time I read this book it makes me want to find a deserted isle and build myself a castle, a bower, and raise a flock of goats.

The only aspect of the book I don't really care for is Crusoe's religious monologues. I understand that it's his new-found faith and relationship with God that helps him make it through the ups and downs, but I find when these asides start it kills the momentum of the story. I'll usually end up skipping these passages to get back to the story. Other than this, this book is captivating and awe-inspiring.
on August 29, 2016
I highly recommend this book even for older readers. Most people think that it's just for children but it's not. Even though I read the printed version several times before, this version has a second half that is not usually published. Daniel Defoe has some very interesting insights into religion that don't come out in the first half of the book.
on August 8, 2017
Two stars for the printing. This is nearly impossible to read. The book is too large, with the text spreading all across the page. There need to be columns, or the book itself should be about half the size. The human brain just doesn't track text formatted like this. I will be purchasing a better version.
on March 9, 2002
The DK Classics series is a great introduction to the a good range of classic books. Having been raised as a purist, I was a bit uncertain about giving abridged versions of the classics to our kids, but re-reading some of the originals reminded me why some of these classics are loosing their shine- becoming historical artifacts, rather than living, engaging stories. Robinson Crusoe is a prime example of this- although it is nearly an icon as a storyline, it was very much a product of it's time & place, and the world has definitely moved on! But with DK's always-excellent sidebars, giving historical perspective and making the text tangible, and a rather good abridgement, the story becomes possible even for youngish readers. Reviewers who have complained about it being long, slow, overly moralistic or religious should have a go at the unabridged version!
The best thing about this Robinson Crusoe- as well as The Three Musketeers and The Odyssey from the same series- is that our kids really enjoyed them, and are building a good background in writings that have shaped so much of how we view the world. Perhaps they'll read the originals one day- almost certainly in a literature class- and if so they will start with a good understanding of the work.