Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 355 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 738 reviews
on February 21, 2016
This is one of my favorite books. Imagine one day your driving in your self driving car and it runs head on to another car as if they meant to kill you. Or you see cars running over people and the street sweepers picking up the dead bodies and loading them for disposal at the local dump. What would you do? Will make you see Artificial Intelligence's possible dark side. Finished this book on a sunny day when I could have gone outside, but the book kept me engaged. Definitely one to read.
on April 8, 2016
Daniel H. Wilson has a bunch of degrees in computer science, robotics and very importantly, in machine learning. In addition to this, he also spent a semester (according to Wikipedia) studying philosophy in Australia.

That stated, I have to ask; was he dumbing down for the mindless action flick crowd or is he just a bad writer? Since the film for this book was optioned before it was written I would naturally assume that the former and not the latter was the case, but his writing here is so awful that I really don’t know for sure. I want to believe that he saw Robopocalypse as little more than a detailed film treatment and not as a book.

I have no degrees in computers or robotics or related fields but I don’t need any of that stuff to spot a villain that is so cartoonishly evil that I didn’t know whether to laugh or feel insulted as a reader, and anyway, I’ve read other books involving smart machines that didn’t come anywhere near the cheesiness of this mess.

Other than ARCHOS (the villain), Wilson presents machines that are more or less realistic, but the problem there is that he doesn’t flesh them out sufficiently advance enough to keep the transition of a select few from mindless to sentient, (and who value freedom) from seeming schlocky, unwieldy and pulled out of thin air.

The human characters are barely any better. It takes a certain kind of bad writer to keep me from caring that a little girl was experimented on and had her eyes replaced with mechanical eyes.

There is no tension in this book and at no point did I get the impression that the human character’s fears were genuine. There was no real attempt at existential dread on even a high school freshman level or any other philosophical explorations on man’s impending doom; my guess is that probably would have gotten in the way of the cheesy action sequences and schmaltzy heroics.

The only part I did like was the plight of the arctic workers in the beginning; that part in itself could have made a good book or movie on its own.

I really wanted to like this book.
on February 4, 2013
Yes it does sound like the Terminator films. But...its way more fun! Alright I have to say I discovered this one from IMDB. The first thing I thought is are we already tired of the zombie apocalypse? Do we really need to go back to robots kicking our butts? So I was thinking better get this book over with so when the terrible movie comes out I can tell my friends how much better the book was! The funny part is the book was a great read. Fun, exciting, to the point, it did something's differently. This is not Terminator or I, Robot. Yes it shares many ideas. It does cut some new ground which was cool. I hate to give away plot points, so I won't. Your going to have to read this one so when the terrible movie comes out you can tell your friends how much better the book was...enjoy humans
on April 7, 2017
I will purchase more novels from this author.
on March 7, 2017
I heard about this book in a review of "best s.f. books" and thought I'd give it a read. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I found this book to be pedestrian. The book is told in a series of linked stories from various characters' points of view. The first actual story after the intro must have been intended to be deep and thoughtful, but just came of as trite and juvenile. Some of the stories after were somewhat better (the robot in the yogurt shop was bit gory, but suspenseful), but most stories just didn't hold my interest. The characterizations were flat or downright stereotypes, the vehicle of different linked short stories felt gimmicky, and the writing was just average.

If you're a fan of AI science fiction you'll probably like this. If you're looking for good action science fiction, or thought provoking speculative fiction, don't bother.
on September 11, 2015
Haven't finished it yet, but it's safe to assume that "Robopocalypse" was written with a movie deal in mind.

The first few chapters reminded me very much of the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," where we are presented with a series of vignettes that are all tied together to the main event.

Some of these snippets are more convincingly described than others, but all the characters read like they were conceived by Ayan Rand. :)

I will finish it, but it's not as compelling as I had hoped, and I'm glad I bought it used on the cheap.
on January 15, 2015
A truly involving book. Every word helps to paint a picture of you in the middle of the story watching as everything takes place. Is
on February 14, 2017
Really good science fiction action novel. Different. Interesting.
on March 6, 2017
Good idea, but not enough character development to care about what happens. Storytelling style doesn't work as well here as it does in WWZ.
on August 20, 2016
War, sci-fi, dystopia...what else do you need? On of.the best I've ever read hand on. Buy I and prepared to sit up all day and night until you're done.