Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 34 reviews
on September 24, 2014
Complaining about the number of Robotech (and Macross) DVD releases has always been a bit of a cliche (even though the number of releases for Dragon Ball Z has far outstripped those for Robotech and its component series), so the groaning over A&E's multiple issues of the "Remastered" Robotech is nothing new, and to be expected. However, there have been two large gaps in A&E's line of Robotech-related DVDs: the original TV broadcast version of Robotech, and the original series used to create Robotech: Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA.

That's where this DVD set comes in.

For a fairly modest price, you're getting the first 18 episodes of both Macross and the original broadcast version of Robotech, spread across four discs. Helpfully, the Macross discs are red, and the Robotech discs are purple. The Robotech discs are the broadcast versions, generally consistent with the varied ADV releases (which were all essentially the same discs packaged differently, but that's another story altogether), and the Macross discs are generally comparable to their ADV release, including the English dub. To top it off, the four discs are in a single DVD case, which save a lot of room on your shelf.

However......there are some issues here that may be deal breakers. First and foremost, the episode count per disc is up to 9 from 6. While a cursory check of Macross reveals that all is fine (it must be noted that I do not have access to any of the prior Macross DVDs at this time), there are extra signs of compression on the Robotech discs, and some minor issues with interlacing that do not seem to be an issue with the old ADV discs. And while I have no use for ADV's English dub of Macross, there is no menu option to select the language and subtitles, and that's a bit lazy (as the disc menus are VERY spartan, with the variant episode titling and the color coding being the only difference between the four discs). Also, the discs are half stacked on top of each other, which is one of the more annoying space-saving measures out there, and it can can scratching. Lastly, for Robotech fans, there's only one audio track (again, I didn't check all 18 episodes, just "Boobytrap"), so hopes for the alternate score of certain episodes are dashed.

On the whole, however, this set (and hopefully later sets, though the math gets troublesome with Southern Cross and MOSPEADA) is worth purchasing if you lack both series on DVD, or Macross. If you own the broadcast edition of Robotech already (especially the Legacy sets, and are unlikely to purchase the "Remastered" version), it's probably best to pass unless you absolutely need brand new discs because you hate buying used.
on January 2, 2015
Robotech has had plenty of releases over the years and the fact of the matter is that if you are interested in Robotech, you are going to buy the complete collection that runs for $50 at the time of this review. What makes this DVD set stand out is that they have included the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

Previous DVD Macross sets are out of print and typically pricey if found on Ebay. Unfortunately, with Robotech being on two discs and Macross being on the other two, quality was sacrificed. DVD menus for both are just laughable, only a play all option or choosing which chapter to start from.

This DVD says that it only has the Japanese audio for Macross, but it does include the ADV (2005-2006) Dub of it as well. The ADV Dub did originally have 5.1 surround sound, but I'm guessing that in order to fit nine episodes onto one disc, that had to be cut. Unfortunately with no menu options for settings; a person has to go into the DVD Player settings in order to set it to the ADV Dub as well as turning on or off the subtitles. Not having a settings menu just feels lazy in my opinion, and for people who aren't tech savy, this task could be very rough.

In the end, it seems to be an effort by harmony gold to get macross out the door and please those fans, but both Robotech and Macross deserve better DVD releases than they have had from harmony gold, and this set further proves it. It's a nice effort, but it is on levels of comparison with DVD Bootlegs, maybe the DVD bootlegs might be even better in quality and being more user friendly (Not that I endorse buying illegal copies of DVDs). Hopefully, Harmony Gold release volume 2 to this in order to complete the set.

For just $30,the price point is low, but you are only getting half of the entire series. With no way of seeing this on digital streaming services such as hulu or Netflix, it is the best way of seeing macross currently without emptying your wallet.
on June 6, 2004
Well for starters I'm a total Robotech fanatic (as if my alias didn't say it) so I have purchased the Remastered and the Legacy collection DVDs. I must admit at first I was skeptical about getting these as I really had no reason to since I already owned the whole collection. Then I kept reading that the difference wasn't that great. Guess what? Those reviews are one of 2 things. 1) Wrong or 2) those people watch TV on small TVs. The Legacy collection while already complete and having the bonus material looked horrible on my 53" which was rather upseting once I bought the TV. But I just received the Remastered DVDs a few days ago and the difference is absolutely unbelievable. The colors for starters are much sharper and brighter. The quality just looks more like something that should be on DVD while the Legacy looked just like the original airing, which looks like VHS quality(fuzzy). Besides those upgrades it looks fantastic on my 53" Widescreen which the Legacy did not (I had to set it to 4:3 to make it bearable). And to top it off a 5.1 Surround Sound upgrade. Life is good. I would recommend this set to anyone who loves Robotech. And for those who don't care about the extra features or who are trying to decide between the 2, I'd say go Remastered! Especially for those w/ big screens.
on November 20, 2014
It is as the others say. I really like the idea behind the set but the quality just isn't there. The Macross discs are overly compressed. It's not terrible, but it isn't good. Stills are tolerable but pans and anything with a lot of motion is distractingly pixelated. Frankly, it's a disappointment for someone who bought this mainly for Macross, but also to replace their Robotech set with this apparently nifty package. Another negative, the case is flimsy and the discs are not held in place. They are loose on the hubs and just fall off. $30 is too much to pay. $20 is closer to being honest.

It feels too much like corners were cut and respect wasn't paid to the fans. I feel ripped-off, taken advantage of, and looked-down-upon. I would like to think that this is a case of good intentions gone awry, but I'm afraid it all comes down to short-term desires to reduce costs.

I would like to see the rest of Robotech/Macross released in this format, including Mospeada/Southern Cross, with future copies coming either on more discs, or larger discs that can accommodate them, and in cases that function properly. For this, I would gladly pay $30 a set. What would make me really happy would be if this first volume would be produced in that way and given to me at no additional charge to replace this disappointing one. That would clear my bad feelings and re-earn my business.

Respect me as a fan, give me a quality piece and I will pay money for it. But now my options are to watch a junky Macross, or to watch a pirated one, or to not watch one at all. Things like this just hurt everyone involved.

I am someone who believes that if an anime I want to watch is available in my country then I should support the people who have done the work of bringing it to me by purchasing it, or otherwise obtaining it by a legal channel, such as Crunchyroll, Netflix, etc., and as such, this release is the way that I can get Macross today. So thanks Harmony Gold, Content, A&E, and Lionsgate for giving me a Macross. But I wish you would have given me one that I could feel better about.
on December 4, 2015
This collection is great if you want to view the cartoon in either the English language (Tony Oliver as Rick Hunter) or in Japanese with subtitles. Watching this was fantastic and brought back my memories from the 1980s!
If you never bought any of the previous DVD releases, then this is a great way to start your collection and get nostalgic for older anime. I hope they release the second volume with episodes 19-36, but I haven't seen it and it has been over a year since the release of volume 1.
on August 6, 2006
First of all, sorry because of my poor english but my native language is spanish.

I'm 30 years old and i recall when as a child a was shocked because of a series that was promoted in TV and became so different in many aspects to the rest...and that was ROBOTECH!. I just was amazed because of the script, the battle scenes, the "Varitechs" transformation, Cmdr. Focker's dead, Rick Hunter-Lisa-Minmay love triangle, Max Sterling vs Miriya battle scene and of course that lovely songs.

Now, after 20 years, i decided to purchase those DVD`s (the first 03 Remastered editions)and i dont know what to say....i think just THANK YOU, THANK YOU VERY MUCH to the producers because the released this series that meant so much for people like me that grew up with every single friday waiting for the next chapter.

I spent the whole sunday looking at those videos and it was like being 10 years old again. Every single scene that i though i forgot just appeared in my mind again and again...

I know the quality is better than years ago and i know that for today's standard could be consider as OLD but i think that no matter how much time could pass, ROBOTECH is (and will be) the series that i will recall the most.

I strongly recommend these DVD's....a real fan will love them as i think many people do.
on February 5, 2004
I've just received my brand new Robotech remastered box, and have to say the image quality is great and the sound rocks, but i'm a little disapointed about Spanish track, because this isn't the old original spanish translation of the 80s, this is a totally new translation and sounds "different" obviously for fans like me that watched the original Robotech back in the 80s. For those of you that don't remember the spanish translation won't notice the difference.
Anyway it's a good product.
on October 12, 2013
Shows the start of the war and how they came to be in deep space.It also shows how the main character start on the path to being a hero
on April 6, 2015
greatest ever!
on August 22, 2005
Bueno, que puedo decir... Excelente! Para alguien que es fanático de Robotech sea o no purista de la original Macross esta edición es imprecindible. Excelente sonido e imagen. Aunque para un fan de latinoamerica las voces será algo con que lidiar ya que las nuevas voces te harán extrañar las anteriores. Pero la historia otra vez te envuelve y se sostiene bien otra vez.

Me hubiera gustado algo más de información adicional en el DVD como la que uno encuentra en Internet pero de primero mano (Harmony Gold) pero no. En cuanto a los extras como la nave de juguete está bien, pero algo más grande hubiera sido mejor.

Recomendable edición de AD Vision y viene perfecto cuando se acerca el estreno de "The Shadow Chronicles". La continuación esperada por todos los fans a muerte de la saga Robotech.

Resumen: Buena edición - Buen precio.