Rock Of Ages: The Definitive Collection [2 CD]
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
When they came out with this 2 CD Greatest Hits package, I ditched all my existing Def Leppard CD's and went with this, as I felt it comprised all the songs of theirs I really liked. There's no point in listing them here, I'd just be copying the tracklisting. But it's almost all enjoyable. It has a bunch of songs from their earliest days before they got their mega success, which is when a lot of people thought the band lost it's soul. This covers everything up until their most recent studio album as of now, that being "X".
If you ever liked Def Leppard in the past, and don't have any of their albums, get this. It's a great career covering retrospective that hits just about all the corners of their albums.
2) It gives you an excellent look at their most successful years (1980-1992.)
3) Having "Rock of Ages" will save you the trouble of getting three of their albums "High 'n' Dry" "Pyromania" and "Hysteria" due to the fact that most of the tracks from those albums are here.
4) This compilation is less expensive and better than the two, separate greatest-hits packages from the band.
5) While it consists a very good deal of the albums I mentioned above, it also gives you a good sample of songs from their other albums such as "On Through The Night", "Retro Active" and "Euphoria".
6) It's less expensive than getting both of the other greatest-hits packages.
7) The inside booklet features comments from the band members on each song, plus cool photos and a brief overview of their career.
8) Because this covers their career (though mostly 80-92 like I mentioned) it shows how the band can change their sound but still sound great.
9) The two CDs are packaged in the same case so you don't have to spend extra money as if it was a box set.
10) Def Leppard Rocks!
This is a very well put-together compilation of a great rock band. I strongly recommend getting it, it'll be hard to stop listening to it and you'll instantly love it.
Jump ahead a few years, when the recording trend seems to be centered around How many versions of Greatest Hits by bands can we come up with? After several different incarnations of Def Leppard's Best Of stuff, we finally see a TWO record set that seems to (for the most part) give a decent, well-rounded view of this monumentally successful and horribly underrated band. First off they finally focused some attention to their first record, 'On Through The Night' by including 'Wasted' and 'Rock Brigade' but even though I enjoy both of these songs, it probably would have been a better choice to add 'Hello America' rather than Wasted. Either way, a pretty decent addition, and nice to see their first album recognized.
High & Dry has always been my personal favorite record by this band. Ignored by so many (so called) fans and once again, under-appreciated, this is Leppard at their creative and rocking best. I don't believe any of their records matches this one for it's sheer rocking dominance and incredibly catchy hooks and driving songs.Read more ›
The excellent cover of this release attracted many fans of other rock bands, one of them was me.
I heard a couple of songs from their most successful album Hysteria and I decided to buy this album without any doubt.
You can definitely call this one a definitive collection. Rock of Ages as everyone know is one of their first top 20 hits from their album Pyronania (1983), but also the title of this track can describe Def Leppard's music, from late 70's to 2006.
Disc 1, includes almost all their biggest hits, like Pour Some Sugar on Me, Photograph, Love Bites, Armageddon It and many others. On Disc 2 you can find songs from their latest releases [(Slang (1996), Euphoria (1999), X (2002)] but also you can find some of the last singles from their most successful albums that never achieved the success of their most known songs.
As a result of this, "Rock of Ages: The Definitive Collection", became Platinum in US selling more than 1 million copies in the short period of 10 months.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I bought one for me and one for my sister. This captures so many of their greatest hits and is fun to take a trip down memory lane.Published 1 day ago by JON SNOW
one of my favorite cd's i bought this because it was cheaper than buying on itunesPublished 16 days ago by Robert
Best all around compilation of this band you can find in my opinion. Covers earlier material (pre-Pyromania) that other collections neglect (which in my opinion, were better... Read morePublished 17 days ago by Thomas R. Mccoy
Love to listen to these guys. I have seen them once and I am going to see them again. Package arrived in perfect condition, no nicks, cracks or scratches.Published 17 days ago by Mark
This is one of my favorite bands of all time. Has all of their hits and then some!Published 17 days ago by Charles Collins
This is the greatest collection of Def Leppard that I have found. In my opinion every song is a masterpiece.Published 25 days ago by David