Rock Of Ages: The Definitive Collection [2 CD]
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
When they came out with this 2 CD Greatest Hits package, I ditched all my existing Def Leppard CD's and went with this, as I felt it comprised all the songs of theirs I really liked. There's no point in listing them here, I'd just be copying the tracklisting. But it's almost all enjoyable. It has a bunch of songs from their earliest days before they got their mega success, which is when a lot of people thought the band lost it's soul. This covers everything up until their most recent studio album as of now, that being "X".
If you ever liked Def Leppard in the past, and don't have any of their albums, get this. It's a great career covering retrospective that hits just about all the corners of their albums.
2) It gives you an excellent look at their most successful years (1980-1992.)
3) Having "Rock of Ages" will save you the trouble of getting three of their albums "High 'n' Dry" "Pyromania" and "Hysteria" due to the fact that most of the tracks from those albums are here.
4) This compilation is less expensive and better than the two, separate greatest-hits packages from the band.
5) While it consists a very good deal of the albums I mentioned above, it also gives you a good sample of songs from their other albums such as "On Through The Night", "Retro Active" and "Euphoria".
6) It's less expensive than getting both of the other greatest-hits packages.
7) The inside booklet features comments from the band members on each song, plus cool photos and a brief overview of their career.
8) Because this covers their career (though mostly 80-92 like I mentioned) it shows how the band can change their sound but still sound great.
9) The two CDs are packaged in the same case so you don't have to spend extra money as if it was a box set.
10) Def Leppard Rocks!
This is a very well put-together compilation of a great rock band. I strongly recommend getting it, it'll be hard to stop listening to it and you'll instantly love it.
Jump ahead a few years, when the recording trend seems to be centered around How many versions of Greatest Hits by bands can we come up with? After several different incarnations of Def Leppard's Best Of stuff, we finally see a TWO record set that seems to (for the most part) give a decent, well-rounded view of this monumentally successful and horribly underrated band. First off they finally focused some attention to their first record, 'On Through The Night' by including 'Wasted' and 'Rock Brigade' but even though I enjoy both of these songs, it probably would have been a better choice to add 'Hello America' rather than Wasted. Either way, a pretty decent addition, and nice to see their first album recognized.
High & Dry has always been my personal favorite record by this band. Ignored by so many (so called) fans and once again, under-appreciated, this is Leppard at their creative and rocking best. I don't believe any of their records matches this one for it's sheer rocking dominance and incredibly catchy hooks and driving songs.Read more ›
The excellent cover of this release attracted many fans of other rock bands, one of them was me.
I heard a couple of songs from their most successful album Hysteria and I decided to buy this album without any doubt.
You can definitely call this one a definitive collection. Rock of Ages as everyone know is one of their first top 20 hits from their album Pyronania (1983), but also the title of this track can describe Def Leppard's music, from late 70's to 2006.
Disc 1, includes almost all their biggest hits, like Pour Some Sugar on Me, Photograph, Love Bites, Armageddon It and many others. On Disc 2 you can find songs from their latest releases [(Slang (1996), Euphoria (1999), X (2002)] but also you can find some of the last singles from their most successful albums that never achieved the success of their most known songs.
As a result of this, "Rock of Ages: The Definitive Collection", became Platinum in US selling more than 1 million copies in the short period of 10 months.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
One great hit after another. If you like Def Leppard you'll love this album. And if you can have only one Def Leppard album, this is the one to get.Published 1 month ago by Gary Ziegler
Excellent CD series!!! All of the great hits along with some of their early on numbers. I thought the Vault was a great CD back in the middle and late 90's but have since lost... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Chris Schultz
Def Leppard is one of my favorites. Seeing them again this year in concert and wanted a couple of songs that I couldn't find anywhere else so I got this CD. Loving it!!!Published 2 months ago by Jennifer
This is a kick ass collection. Seriously. Whoever decided on the track listing and arrangement did an excellent job. Both discs flow smoothly between the past and present eras. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Brian Barrett