Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Rock Band 2 - Xbox 360 (Game only)
Platform: Xbox 360|Edition: Game only|Change

on May 11, 2015
The prime difference between what the folks at Harmonix and the people at Neversoft/RedOctane are doing with their perspective games comes down to very important semantics. Neversoft's Guitar Hero series is a franchise. Harmonix's Rock Band is a platform. It's a huge distinction and the truth is that Rock Band's method benefits the consumers a lot more.

So when you're purchasing Rock Band 2, you'll getting a lot more value than you can imagine. Sure there's the 84 song (all master cuts) list and the 20 additional free bonus songs coming really soon, but what's important to note is the promise that Harmonix is keeping with: Rock Band is a platform, meaning every song under the Rock Band umbrella (with a few unfortunate nixes) will work with their games. So not only do all the songs you've been downloading for a year work, but also all but three songs in Rock Band 1 can be ripped to your hard drive (for a nominal $5 for licensing fees). This is a phenomenal value that values the customer more than paying for individual "expansion" packs that have no connectivity to one another. Platform versus franchise.

Alright, so there's a huge value here. But once you dig into the actual game, there's some good and some blah. Harmonix revamped the touring mode so that, regardless of playing single or multi, you have one World Tour. Previously, songs unlocked in solo play would show up in the multiplayer; here, though, regardless of whether you're playing by yourself or with friends, you're unlocking songs as you travel throughout the world. It's a lot more fun and emphasizes group play.

One of the issues I've run into is that the people I play Rock Band with aren't the best of players. We do it for fun and we'd invariably run into a brick wall in the tour where they'd have to move up to the next difficulty and couldn't. So far, we haven't run into that situation and have gotten a lot more out of touring that we used to. I hope this continues as this is the most exciting and fun aspect of the game.

Other game types have been included, as well. Your band can do the "Tour Challenge," which basically throws various set lists at you to get through. These set lists can be songs from a specific band or songs difficult on a certain instrument or songs of a certain theme, etc. A second game type is "Battle of the Bands" and puts your band against another band virtually, with a leaderboard to track your progress.

If you're looking for more character customization options, you'll probably be disappointed. There's a few more new hair types and a couple more faces, but for the most part it feels like the first Rock Band. This is a common thread throughout Rock Band 2: it feels a lot like the first Rock Band. It's more of a slow evolution. By far the best changes are ones that should have been in place the first time around, namely the fact you don't need a band leader and that you can have one character play any of the instruments. This is probably my favorite part of the new game (minus the songs).

But the songs are the real showcase. There's a lot of diversity here with a lot of new bands, some oldies and everything in between. But most of the songs are a ton of fun to play, which is the most important part. If you have Rock Band, this is a no brainer as the gameplay modes are more fun and you're not losing songs. If you're new, this is a terrific place to start. Many many hours have been logged so far and I can't wait for more!
Top Contributor: Petson September 12, 2013
Given the newer versions of the game out there , at the time that I write this review, I'm guessing you would be interested in this primarily because a used copy of this game sells really cheap ;) .... rest assured that if your kids are anything like mine they will have a blast with it .. this assumes that you have the fun instruments to go with the game like the guitar-controller, microphone (really any usb microphone will do or that's what I found anyways) , and a drum set of some sort (admittedly the "realistic" big drum set is crazy expensive.. the kids found the cheaper portable set to be hard to drum on / get to respond but they still had fun with it ) ... my two children and their cousins all got together to "make some music" with this when the cousins came to visit from Canada and had a blast playing it.. the kids ranged in age from 7 up to 10 years old at the time ....
on June 21, 2017
The game CD has minor stratches and it'll go to the main menu but anytime I try to go onto quick play and choose a song, I get an error message saying the disc is unreadable. I have cleaned it with a cloth, restarted my Xbox, cleaned it with my home remedy to clean CDs, and it still does not work. I gave this 2 stars because I don't know if my Xbox or the CD itself that doesn't work but I would like to either contact the seller or get a refund.
on February 5, 2016
I love playing this with my son. We take turns singing and he plays the guitar. This is a great way to have fun with your family. Or next time you have friends over take it out and jam. It will make for a fun filled memorable time. It has a great selection of songs and we knew almost all of them. Next time you have a family fun night play this and it will be one of your best nights yet,
VINE VOICEon September 22, 2008
After playing through Rockband 2 with my flatmates for awhile and going through the functionality that has changed since the original I'd have to say this game lives up to the hype.

Songs:
You're able to use any of your downloaded content for Rockband 1 within Rockband 2. It's unfortunate that the base songs from Rockband 1 aren't able to be used given I don't like having to switch disks to hear specific music but given it would be hard to prove I owned the original and didn't just borrow it to get the songs if they had that functionality. As for the included songs... it's a vast selection of music that would appeal to many audiences and you're given 20 free song downloads as part of the purchase so you can expand that library further from your own favorites. I like the music but have to admit, for many of the songs I usually know the artists but never have heard of the songs.

Mutliplayer:
One of the biggest flaws of the original Rockband was that you could not play on XBox Live with your friends in anything besides quickplay. What this meant was that you'd have to coordinate with friends across the states to play one or two songs but never be able to actually sit back and play through the adventure aspect of the series. This has been added in the sequel.

Local Multiplayer / Solo Mode:
Another huge improvement to the game is the ability to play through as a band without needing all members of the band present. So if my flatmate is out of the apartment and I want to advance our band I can start up my solo career as the singer in the band and do a few of the songs. If he's there later I can join with him again with all the progress I made as well. The real benefit to this is that honestly many people, especially when you have friends over, want to play the game but aren't willing to make a band just to setup each scenario of whether anyone wants to play a particular instrument or not. With the system like this anyone can pick up an instrument and join the band without having to worry about this.

In general the game finally has a pretty strong core engine for multiplayer online and locally which vastly improves on the original. Improves to the game could include a stronger avatar customization option for users who would like to put the time into designing their characters, a better library of songs, and the ability to port over music from Rockband 1 given no one likes switching over disks to play certain tracks. Even without these changes though the game is solid.
on April 6, 2016
This game is fun, yet this game is out of date.
If you have Rock Band 4, no, you will not be able to import these songs. Period. There is -nothing- you can do to get these songs on RB4 (or even RB3.) The export codes on the back of the manual are to "verify" you own RB2. The actual code to download the songs does not exist, and if you never did it before wayyyy back in the day, you can't. Don't waste your money on this game trying to get songs for RB4.
VINE VOICEon May 1, 2010
So, Rock Band 2. I haven't played the previous version, but I have played Lego Rock Band, Guitar Hero III, GHWT, and GH5. I have a nice guitar controller and a really expensive drum set that I almost never use. So I come into this with at least a bit of knowledge of these games in general, even if I don't have any at all as it relates to the previous game. And with that knowledge I can say that this is a pretty darn fun game!

You're probably well-aware of how the game works: you put together a band and go on tour, playing various venues, nifty songs, lots of different set lists and buying all the virtual crap you can get your hands on! It's very similar to what I experienced with Lego Rock Band, which is no surprise.

The graphics in the game are good, but really they take second place to the music. I must say that I do rather like the set list here. I like it more than GH3 or GH5, and it's much better than Lego Rock Band (though for ten bucks you can import the set list from LRB to this game). You also get a voucher to download 20 bonus tracks. I wouldn't bother with them.

The DLC here is quite good. Anything I've downloaded for LRB plays with Rock Band 2, which is good. I haven't tried the online play (I usually don't like 360 online experiences), so I cannot comment on that. The solo game play is wonderfully fun, though a bit easier overall than the GH games. It plays pretty much the same (notes scroll down, you hit them). I played with a friend of mine and unlike GH5 you can't both play the same instrument. It's a minor complaint, though.

One bit of advice to would-be rockers looking to play this game: don't create a character to play that you find attractive. I made this mistake. I cannot count the number of notes I have missed due to being distracted. It was a terribly unwise move on my part.

Overall I had a good time with this game! It's worthy of inclusion in the collection of anyone who enjoys music games like this.
on May 18, 2014
Everyone pretty much knows about Rockband 2. Great songs, fun to play, family fun for all ages. I just love Rockband and can’t figure out why they don’t sell new sets (drums, keyboard, guitar, mic, game) any more. I mean, even the guys on Big Bang Theory are into this in the show, and you can’t buy new sets! Get on it!!
on November 19, 2009
I bought this game in order to expand my musical horizons. I'm not a fan of modern rock music, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to expose myself to it more. I can't complain too much about the songs included on the game; they are all, for the most part, nice to play and not terrible to listen to. I was a little disappointed at how rough the interface seemed, especially in comparison to The Beatles: Rock Band. In particular, the notes seemed a little lower in definition. It doesn't hurt the game, but it's less aesthetic for my tastes. As far as customization, I really like how there are several options for your instrument. I generally play bass, so I was glad to see that their bass selection was more than ample to satisfy my desires. I haven't played online, but I imagine it's probably not too different from The Beatles: Rock Band in that if you know and like the songs it's a very enjoyable social experience. Other than the graphics being a little rough, I don't have any real complaints about this game.
on January 18, 2018
Great deal!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.