Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 74 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 97 reviews
on February 18, 2010
This book is just as convincing as the first one Steve Krug wrote (Don't make me think!). It is an easy and entertaining read and on top of this hold's all the truths you need to know for efficient do-it-yourself testing. I admire Steve Krug's style of writing and especially his ability to condense the most important and valuable into some very nicely written chapters. This book contains the wisdom of an expert who easily reaches the beginner as well as the advanced usability tester, and his advice is very encouraging. Instead of listing a lot of theoretical stuff on sophisticated scientific testing, he focusses on making usability testing easy to understand and to put into practice and takes a much more pragmatic approach. The book offers easy to follow directions and many hints for successful testing and tweaking of websites.
on April 27, 2010
Incredible and inspring book on how to locate and fix usability problems yourself. Most of the advice centers around web design, but the process described can easily be modified to any other product. The book is delightfully short (under 200 pages), very well written and packed with useful information.

My own startup is following the process outlined in this book and the results are just amazing. Usability skeptics will be immediately converted once they see a test in action. I will be looking forward to the day where this stuff ends up in science curriculums, then we will truly enter a age packed with useful simple things and the clumsy 50 button VCR remote control will be a relic of the past. Highly recommended.
on November 6, 2016
Great book on a topic all of us must embrace if you are on the re-platforming journey.
BOUGHT THIS BOOK THE MINUTE I REALIZED IT WAS OUT:
Having been a "Usability Professional" for a number of years, I purchased this Steve Krug book, the minute I knew he had another book out, without even paying attention to what it was about. This guy is just that good. This enthusiasm was due to his previous book "Don't Make Me Think" which was a great book on how to make more usable web sites. First I was surprised, as initially I had not realized it was a book for User testing for non-Usability professionals... Next, I thought, Wow, this is a great book too.

BASIC IDEA:
The whole idea is to do quick usability tests with a few users, that are reasonably representative of your end users. This test would be viewed by your stake holders and be done in one morning each month during various stages of development of your site. This way, it gets to the right people when it's needed. Anyone who does usability work, knows how laborious and costly tests can be. However that's nothing compared to the sales pitch that has to be done, to get even the high impact issues fixed. There are always excuses.

This Books Suggestion for Testing:
* Lessens the cost of the text
* Allows the testing to be more immediate
* Gets the decision makers in front of it and hopefully behind the necessary changes with funding.

This book has clearly defined steps on how to do this:
* Software recommendations
* Some scripts
* How to recruit
* How to run single morning tests.

Also recommendations for approaching changes:
* Get to the basic issues
* Get them fixed
* Let the trivia wait.
* Tweaking is better than a redesign, and it is more likely to happen.

However read the book on this, I'm only quickly paraphrasing.

QUICK SUMMARY:
As before his style of writing is conversational and sparse, giving you what you need to know when. It is laid out in a way that is brief but complete and very easy to read. Hmmm, sounds like he took his own teachings to heart. There are 16 chapters (and you can see inside the book here; so go look) He covers the why and how you can do a usability test on any site and get buy-in from your team when changes need to be made. Usability professionals can benefit from this book as well, as it has a somewhat interesting take on how to get Users in front of the Teams that make decisions on what gets changed. Since time is at a premium and Usability tests speak for themselves, this is one way, to get the money where it needs to go.

All in all another winner of a book...now I'm waiting for the next one...
on September 23, 2010
I'm a really big fan of Steve's book, "Don't Make Me Think" so I was eager to read this follow-up. I felt that it was well put together, continuing to be written in the irreverent tone of the other book. However, really, the material in the book could have been put into a couple of youtube videos and that would have handled it. I'm not sure if I'm happy that the book was so easily digested during a single flight I took recently or upset that I paid as much as I did for such a small text. On balance, I guess I'm happy that Steve wrote things in such simple terms and I'm sure I'll be rewarded for my meager investment of time and money with better websites versus someone who wrote fluff to fill a book.
on March 20, 2014
It's okay but nothing critical or truly memorable. Finding and fixing usability problems can be difficult to explain so I guess the book deserves some praise.
I used my copy of this book for only 1 single assignment, as I expected. That is why I bought it on Amazon.com instead of my school bookstore where they would have charged me twice as much, only to buy it back for 20% and resell it to the next sucker.
on January 1, 2016
I'm a user researcher and part of my job is usability testing. Steve manages to distill the practice down to easy steps. I don't necessarily agree that anyone can do meaningful ut, but I do agree that any testing, even flawed, is better than none.
on February 10, 2013
I am preparing to do usability testing at my job, and this book was incredibly helpful, covering what to ask and not to ask, where and how to ask it, prioritizing issues to address, and so on. It's a pretty light read, and easy, with some levity. Would also recommend his book Don't Make Me Think!, and would even suggest reading it before this, as it covers the aspects of the development cycle that come before usability testing. Together they are essential reading for web professionals.
on June 5, 2016
Rocket Surgery Made Easy was just what I was looking for: practical, short, and simple directions. This book is all you need to conduct worthwhile usability testing. (And the humor is a nice plus.)
on January 4, 2015
It's a quick read but very interesting.