Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on February 2, 2015
These shoes get the basic job done (was looking for some sharp/conservative, business casual *waterproof* shoes for work), but the leather so far seems cheap - more like low-end bonded leather than full-grain.

As a result, it doesn't seem that these will last nearly as long, nor will they develop creases that will look or wear nearly as well as my old Rockport DresSports wing-tips (non-waterproof) from perhaps 20 years ago that I still own and wear and enjoy.

I attached a photo illustrating how the creases/wrinkles in this leather look after a few days of wear. It's hard to tell from the photo, but there seems to be some sort of plastic layer over the leather, and that's what is wrinkling in an unnatural way -- similar to low-end bonded leather, if you have experience with that type of leather.

I'm not sure what the point of the waxed laces is. Maybe they protect against soggy laces (is that really a serious problem?), but even if I double-knot these slippery/stiff laces, they still come undone in a few hours with average office walking around.

And this last observation is probably my own fault, but I packed these for a business trip on Sunday, and when I unpacked in the hotel that evening, I discovered that these shoes left black streaks all over the folded dress shirt on top of the stack. A quick application of Tide stick couldn't fix it, so I had to send the shirt out for laundering via the hotel's front desk. Luckily they were able to get the black marks off, for $6.05.

Despite all those negative observations, it's hard to complain too much for the price I paid ($75, and free shipping), though.

They are comfortable, with a very short break-in period, and the soles haven't squeaked on marble or linoleum, as some other reviewers mentioned. (My pair has the Adidas "Adiprene" soles; not sure if all versions of this shoe use the same material.)

One caveat: Though I bought these specifically because they are claimed to be waterproof, it hasn't actually rained yet while I've been wearing them (I've had them for a couple of weeks). I'll try to remember to post a follow-up if I have a bad experience with their waterproof feature. Hopefully that won't be the case, because if it is, I'll be inclined to drop another star or two from my rating.
review image
on July 26, 2017
I purchased the essential details "waterproof" apron-toe shoe within the last couple of months to replace an identical pair I had been wearing since purchasing a year ago. The original pair had started to leak and I would end up with a wet sock when it rained so I purchased a new pair. Now, just a couple of months into owning the second pair I am having the same problem. I’m not sure how these shoes are called “waterproof” but my foot / sock are soaked. The right shoe is significantly worse than the left shoe but both leaked. It appears to be just below my large toe that the water got in. I love the comfort these shoes provide given I walk all over campus every day in them but I cannot wear shoes that leak.
I've purchased these shoes from Rockport for many years, and although I will keep these shoes and try to break them in, they are not as comfortable to me as the previous models, the leather top looks no where's near as good, and the arch support is pretty minimal. They are OK for general use if you don't have to be too dressy, but it's been three days and I'm still not very comfortable in them. I hope they are waterproof as they are supposed to be (all my previous models were), but I don't know that yet until we get some rain. I'm not trying to be terribly negative here, because they are OK shoes and I plan to keep them, but they are not as nice as the older model (which I've purchased for about fifteen years now). I would rate them four stars, and I would wait until they are on sale.
on December 16, 2016
Decent shoes for work and going out. No sizing issues but very stiff out of the box, will require some break-in. I also expected more interior padding as I have had in other Rockports, and there is very little cushioning in the sole . I do like the style and color, it goes with a variety of pants and uses. As others have warned, they do initially squeak on certain flooring, especially linoleum and even tile, but that has diminished over time.
on January 26, 2017
Very disappointed in these shoes. I've had them for a little over 2 months now and the inside lining underneath the foot is bunching up and coming off. They are fantastic looking shoes, and very sturdy, with good grip especially in this Minnesota weather, but the fact that the insides are coming apart already is really saddening. I wear them about 20-25 hours a week and I work a desk job, so it's not like I'm putting these things through their paces.

For $92 I was expecting them to last a bit longer.
on June 20, 2015
After a few partial days wearing them, either they are broken in or I have enough callouses to wear them all day. The fit seems to be exactly as I expected. The soles have never squeaked for me even after getting wet. The middling rating is for the overall value. When I bought them, the price was about $75. I just thought that it was a bit pricey for shoes with these soles. I guess that I have not bought leather soled shoes for a while.

The laces will not hold a knot for me. I had to buy new laces right after I bought these shoes.
on March 28, 2017
I hate shoe shopping but was leery of buying online. I've always worn Rockport
and I'm glad to say that they have maintained their general quality and consistency
of fit. A sturdy waterproof shoe with a good traction heel but looks dressy enough
to wear in the office.Very good value.
on July 31, 2016
I have these shoes in all four colors now. I'm a fan of waterproof shoes, and Rockport Men's Essential Details Waterproof Shoes get the job done in the rain. All three Brown colors seem to look good with wear, especially the Crazy Horse Tan (Dark Tan).
on November 23, 2014
I don't usually wear dress shoes, because they tend to be extremely uncomfortable, expensive, and wear out quickly, not these Rockports. I wore them for a few exams and recent trip and I didn't even notice I had them on. They are also very durable, leather bottom shoes would have been severely worn by the same excursions. They are also quite affordable considering the last shoes I bought, and those weren't comfortable or durable. Definitely worth the price and will buy again when they are worn out. They also look pretty good. The right thickness socks are very important to being as comfortable as possible in these, not too thin or too thick.
on October 19, 2015
It's an excellent shoe and the no-slip bottoms work well. I wear them every day for work and am often on my feet and moving quickly between rooms or when helping customers. As such, the insoles haven't lasted very long and need replacing. Other than that, it's a good shoe that takes well to shining and has enough flexibility for those that are on their feet all day. Would buy again.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.