Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rod Serling's Night Gallery Season 1
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

on November 27, 2007
Looking over the descriptions for these video downloads, most of them are NOT from the TV show "Night Gallery," but rather from a show called "The Sixth Sense" (which was a '70s TV show about a psychic - not to be confused with the M Night movie).

"Night Gallery" was a great, but short-lived anthology show, similar to Rod Serling's previous work "The Twilight Zone." After the series was done, the studio tried to make enough episodes so that they could sell the series into syndication. They took the hour-long episodes of "Night Gallery" and re-edited them to fit into 30-minute slots. But that wasn't quite enough - so they took this completely different TV show called "The Sixth Sense" and cut all of its hour-long episodes into 30-minute stories (hiring Rod Serling to film new introductions so that they'd appear to be actual "Night Gallery" episodes).

It seems these butchered episodes of "The Sixth Sense" will forever be thought of as "those horrible Night Gallery episodes that starred Gary Collins." And that's really not the case.

The "Sixth Sense" episodes are the ones featuring Gary Collins (or the character "Michael Rhodes"). So it looks like downloads #1-6 are "Night Gallery" episodes, while #7-19 are from "The Sixth Sense" (which isn't a bad series, just not on par with the "Night Gallery").
on August 3, 2013
Please say you're going to add the second season of Night Gallery to Amazon Instant Video (hopefully prime)! My all-time favorite episode is called "Caterpillar" and appears in Season 2 of Rod Serling's "Night Gallery. Actually, I think it was one of the last episodes for that season -- and left many a child shaking in their boots before bed, wondering when an earwig was going to take up residence in their brain -- me included.
I've been a die hard Rod Serling fan for over 40 years. Of course it all began with the Twilight Zone and my addiction to that show has never waivered. In addition to the Ultmate Collection on DVD I must have every book on Serling and contine to stream epsiodes I must have seen hundreds of times.

I'm thrilled Amazon brought Night Gallery to it's customers, I loved the show and waited, literally for it to air. That wasback in the 70's and it's wondeful to seenot only the look and feel of that awkward time - but to stream favorite episodes. In this case I still find "The Doll" incredibly disturbing as I do with Lone Survivor. But the real gem here is the performance by the iconc and legendary Phyllis Diller in Pamela's Voice talk about perfect casting!

John Astin is terfic as the tortured husband who get's his unseen due in an unexpected twist of fate. Well, the show of course looks dated but it's nostalgic and brings the viewer back to perhaps what was a simpler time. If you're a fan of the show your going to love seeing your favorites again - if you've never seen Night Gallery, try the episode staring Joan Crawford, you're bound to get hooked!
on October 29, 2012
Rod Serling's Night Gallery Season 1 is just what I need to start off my Amazon Instant Movie collection. I cannot believe I was able to snag it for the price $7.99) I did notice the first half of the disc is missing (The ones that include Joan Crawford and Ozzie Davis) but it was a nice twist to add the first season of "Sixth Sense," I remember those growing up as well.

Do you think you will attain the rights for Night Gallery Season 2-3 as well?

I am a ROD SERLING addict!!!! Twilight Zone and Night Gallery are my favorites!

No complaints here...I am pleased!
on November 5, 2012
I always enjoy The Night Gallery and shows like it. The stories are interesting and sometimes bazaar. They're Tearing Downs Tim Riley's Bar is a story of feeling the world has passed you by. It connects with us because we all get that feeling eventually that the world has changed all around us and left us behind. In life, there comes a time when we don't understand the music, when we don't like anything on television anymore or "don't get the younger generation" (weren't we once the younger generation?). It's a wonderfully poignant episode and anyone will love it.
on August 16, 2012
This t.v. series is one of the most enjoyable
from Rod Serling[ the twilight zone]It has several
diffrent episodes from a mystery horror theme.
A few of the funniest are Pamelas Voice which stars
John Astin,Another is The black bag.It also has
some episodes from the old Gary Collins series E.S.P.
This is worth owning in your collection.
on April 6, 2013
The episode with the doll was what made me afraid of my sister's dolls growing up. I am 40 now and I still hate dolls. This was what did it and no one understood. I finally found it and if nothing else, I am not as freaked out by dolls now. But my wife is. :)
on March 1, 2014
I grew up watching this show and I still absolutely love it and love Rod Serling.
I could see how some people - especially younger - might find the pacing too slow and technicals too dated, but the stories never disappoint and no show hits that perfect tone of horror like these episodes did.
on July 16, 2011
If you are looking at the episode list for "NIght Gallery, Season 1" you may be confused at the titles of episodes 7 though 19. These are actually the 13 episodes from season 1 of a series called The Sixth Sense which ran for two short seasons in spring and fall of 1972.
The first six episodes listed here are from the first season of Night Gallery. Both shows were fun. Night Gallery is more in the vein of traditional horror from the sixties and seventies. It earned it's only Emmy nomination for the episode, "They're Tearing Down Tim Reily's Bar". Night Gallery was great fun for fans of classic horror, although it will have a somewhat dated seventies TV look to it. The episodes as presented here are in their original one-hour format. The stories in each episode are of varying length from 10 minutes to 35 minutes. They were heavily edited and added to for syndication as a half hour show during the eighties and nineties. In this DVD, they are presented as they originally aired.
The Sixth Sense was closer to being a detective show, with a paranormal investigator as the lead, well played by Gary Collins. Also, ignore the air dates listed here by Amazon. If you want an accurate listing of the original air dates, go to the Wikipedia entries for these shows. I guess they packaged the first two seasons of these shows together under the Night Gallery name because they wanted to offer more than seven episodes on the DVD, and didn't think The Sixth Sense would sell well on its own.
With The Sixth Sense, I can recommend trying one episode. If you like it, you will probably like most of the series. But with Night Gallery, each story has a different writer and director. So you may want to try more than one episode to see if you will like it. Rod Serling wrote or adapted many of the stories in this series. Neither series was as good as the original Twilight Zone at its best, or The X-Files, but both are great fun and both hold a unique place among supernatural themed TV shows.
on November 5, 2011
i was always a fan of night gallery. i love the wierd musical introduction to serlings verbal introduction to the episode itself. campy scary and wonderful is how i describe this episode. the dead man about a doctor scientist wife who falls in love with her husbands student which ends with a horrible conclusion. a must see. the housekeeper a lesson in what can happen if you desire being young at any cost. worth seeing. i also recommend other night gallery episodes. a note however i am no fan of the gary collins rhodes episodes.