Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rode SM3 Shock Mount For Rode Shotguns and NT5
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

style: SM3 Camera Shoe Shockmount|Change

on March 5, 2010
Actually, the other review about having to remove the base to put this shock mount on a tripod is not completely correct. By simply using a $1.85 1/4 20 to 3/8 adapter (which can be had at any camera store) and screwing it into the bottom it can then be placed on any tripod without having to take the unit apart.

The great thing about this shock mount is that it can be used in the hot shoe of a camera or put on the end of a regular boom pole without adding anything or taking off anything. Also tilt adjustable. The distance between the two round holders is about 2 1/4 inches. I use it with a rode NTG-1 boom and also an Oktava. It is expensive for "a piece of plastic," but all shock mounts are expensive and this is about half the cost of many of the others on the market and it is more versitile. The isolation from the rubber bands is great. In fact, I think the isolation from bumps and vibrations is better that those more costly units that have the hard rubber suspension.

I'm so pleased with it and how well it performs and its versatility I'm buying a second one.
on May 9, 2014
When I pay top dollar for a Rode product I expect it to work in a professional environment and this product has been a disappointment. Yes, it does isolate the handling noise of a boom pole quite well but the rubber bands do not support the weight of my Rode NTG-3 mic. The mic sags in the bands and tends to fall out of the mount in use. Good thing the mic cable was still holding the mic or my mic would have crashed to the ground several times. Plus, you look like a fool when you flub the take because your mic slid out of the mount. I even wrapped a rubber band around the mic base to "catch" on the mount's rubber and the mic still slid out of the mount. This mount sort of works on a static boom but is pretty much worthless on a hand held boom pole.
on January 4, 2014
See the uploaded customer images for a better way to mount the mic in the rubber bands to address the sagging issue by crossing themselves (I did not experience sag, even if mounting NTG2 straight through, plus a WS6 sock and cable). Plus handy storage for extra bands.

I chose the Rode SM3 over the aftermarket alternatives mainly because of the low profile. It also attaches directly to a Rode Micro Boompole or anything else with a 3/8 stud.
review image review image
on March 31, 2013
This is a Rode shock mount and i'm using it for a Rode shotgun microphone. Seems it cannot handle the weight of their own microphone very well. Even with an XLR cable attached, the microphone is a bit heavy in the front with a dead cat installed. The bands cannot hold up the microphone so it doesn't point straight and sort of points down about 5 degrees.

The unit still functions properly but I'd like to see something work better for their own microphones.

Oh, one more thing. I have the microphone that can use phantom power from the XLR connector or a AA battery. Forget ever using a AA battery when using this mount. You have to remove the microphone completely and that's very time consuming. Remember that you cannot leave those batteries installed because there's no on/off switch on those microphones so you need to remove them frequently. Pulling the microphone through these bands has to be done very carefully to not break them or pop them off.
on September 20, 2013
the shock mount is made of sturdy metal, the pop filter is made with two layers of cloth with an air space between them. The filter support telescopes, you can adjust the length and the angle on each end. All the parts are metal so you can crank down hard on the knobs and not break anything. The elastic is stiff enough there is not much sag in any mounting direction. The microphone attaches to a captive treaded ring nut. The whole thing mounts with either standard American microphone stand threads or the smaller European type threads. I tried kicking the stand with the microphone live and yes it reduces the noise greatly but of course not 100%. I thought the price was a little to high but when you consider you get a quality pop filer that is a no-brainer to mount and adjust and remains "put in place" the price is reasonable.

This is NOT a general propose generic shock mount. It is designed for only a few Rode model microphones with threads on the bottom that fit the threaded ring nut.
on January 18, 2013
I purchased this shock mount w/pop filter for use with my Rode Procaster. Like a previous review stated it does not extend far enough for a front address mic like the Rode Procaster / Podcaster. I had a custom extention arm made that works great. I could provide these arms for those interested.
on September 15, 2011
This is a nice little device. Good shotgun mounts are tough to find because the circumferences of microphones vary. This mount solves the problem by suspending the microphone in a flexible network of elastics. The effectiveness of this approach will depend on the weight and shape of your mic--the elastics aren't stretched super tight and don't seem extraordinarily strong. A heavier mic can cause them to shift and the mic to sag. And though it hasn't happened, I could picture the elastic cradle widening enough for the mic to barrel out of the mount completely during an overhead-boom shot.

I only use Rode mics and have both an NTG-3 and an NTS-1. I can't picture this thing holding my NTS-1, but for that mic you should get the Rode SM6 Professional Shock Mount with Integrated Pop Shield anyway. It's a great mount, better than the SM3 for condensers but not as good for shotguns (and too heavy for camera-mounted work). My Rode NTG3 fits nicely in the SM3, mounted in the DSLR coldshoe, parallel to the ground. When you put a foam cover or deadcat on, the mic gets a little front-heavy and leans forward just a touch. I compensate by tightening back the patch cable. It's no big deal. This mount isolates from stabilizer hum and other sounds the camera makes. With the NTG3 as cargo, it makes the Rode Videomic sound like a broken AM radio.
on June 6, 2016
I work as an Instructional Designer, and occasionally have to narrate E-Learning's or short instructional videos. I have a home office and a corporate office location. Originally I was using my Blue Yeti USB microphone, with the Radius II shock mount attached to the PSA1 Studio Arm. This set up worked great, but it sucked having to move it from office to office. So I decided to get a second set up. After a lot of research for what would best fit my needs, I went for this set up.

I now have a Rode NT-USB microphone attached to this SM6 shock Mount, all on the PSA1 Studio arm. I had not read any reviews or questions about the NT-USB Microphone working with this shock mount, but took a risk assuming it would. It does work.

What I really like is that the microphone is actually suspended, so it reduces a lot of noise that the microphone pics up.

I am not a professional Audio Engineer, and have been learning about all this on my own. However, I am a professional looking for great narration. This product fits my needs. In comparison to the Blue Yeti/Radius II set up I have, this is slightly better. I think a lot of that has to do with this mount being more "free floating" in function. I would highly recommend this product.
review image review image review image review image review image
on July 4, 2010
Not sure what else to say. This mount is great. 1/4" screw mount, hotshoe mount, and extra rubber bands. It doesn't have a true professional build quality, but for the price, you can get 3 of these for the price of a pro one. Also, it will fit just about any size shotgun, not just rode.
on July 31, 2012
Using for Rode NTG-2 shotgun. Works great, has hot shoe mount, but the tripod mount is 3/8 not the standard 1/4, so it needs an adapter. Yes, this shock mount is pricey, but it works well. Also comes with two spare rubber bands. I have the NTG-2, a Video LED Light, and a Tascam DR-2 on a triple mount on my Canon 5D Mark II.

Details: "Triple Mount Hot Shoe V Mount Bracket for Video Lights, Microphones or Monitors Sold by: ePhotoInc"; "Fotodiox Pro LED 312AS, Video LED Light Kit, with Dimmable and Color Temp. Change Switches, 2x Sony type Battery, Battery Charger. Camera bracket and Sold by: Fotodiox Inc"; and "Tascam DR-40 Portable Digital Recorder with Wind Muff Sold by: DVeStore, Inc." with a "EzFoto Metal universal Hot Shoe to 1/4-20 threaded adapter Sold by: EasyFoto".