Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 220 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 346 reviews
on August 7, 2011
I first heard about Rodrigo y Gabriela a few years ago when I read an article about them in a music magazine, and saw the video for Diablo Rojo soon after. I was blown away to see a Spanish guitar track get a music video, played on a major network at that. But what really got me was the music- that track was crazy. It wasn't the best guitar work I've ever heard by any means, but coming from two fairly young kids, I was impressed. Only recently did I decide to give in and buy their album, and I have to say that the whole album is very good, and if you like Spanish guitar or even Latin jazz, you should get this. The only other album of theirs that I have is 11:11, and I can easily say that this is a great introduction to the dynamic duo.

99% of the music on here is just Rodrigo and Gabriela, with Rodrigo doing some very fine lead work and Gabriela providing equally fine rhythm work while at the same time beating on her guitar as if it were a percussion instrument. To be fair, the only way to understand what these two are doing is to either watch a music video of theirs or listen to a sample, though I highly recommend seeing a video so you can see that what they're playing is done in real-time, with nothing edited in. This album kicks off with a bang with Tamacun and then it continues with Diablo Rojo. Vikingman has a fun bit involving radio tuning to make it seem like the station changes, which is where the music style changes. The tracks that follow are all pretty good, including covers of Metallica's Orion and Led Zepplin's Stairway to Heaven. Rodrigo and Gabriela manage to do covers of these songs and really make them their own.

My reason for giving this album 4 stars instead of 5 is because, while I do enjoy every track on here (a few more than others), there's not much diversity. A lot of the time it seems like the duo is going 'hey, look how fast we can play', and other times they stop playing for a second, then start playing for another minute or two before the track's really over. It got a little old. I would've liked even just one slower track where crazy palm muting and guitar beating wasn't the focus. There are a few tracks where they'll start playing slower, but kick back into gear in no time. But as it is, I can't see anyone who doesn't like Spanish guitar music hating this album. Do yourself a favor and watch live performances of Tamacun and Juan Loco, and if you like those, go ahead and buy the album without worry. I'm glad I bought this album and hope their newer work takes things to a higher level. This is the kind of album that makes me want to start playing guitar again.
on May 10, 2013
I discovered this group after they came up in some music results while searching for the song Metallica song "Orion" to listen to online. Immediately, I was impressed with their version of the cover that I started looking for more of their music. Over time, I realized I wanted to have their first album for myself as I prefer listening to music that doesn't have an audience or crowd making noise in the background (as it is in some of their live performance recording albums). It's amazing how just two people with Spanish guitars can create such beautifully relaxing yet energizing music.

My only disappointment with this album is the fact that the Amazon MP3 store does not have this album encoded yet, otherwise I would have bought from the MP3 store. But, it does come with a DVD that you can watch them perform and learn how to do some of the songs apparently (***disclaimer, I haven't watched the DVD yet, just too busy, and besides, I can't play a guitar).

Regardless if you enjoy bonuses like that or not, this album is perfect for music lovers who want to listen to something genuine that was created with true raw talent with a little metal and south of the border influence. Hard to go wrong with this purchase.
on March 3, 2017
I LOVE THE CD. Original with beautiful tunes and rhythms. I was VERY DISAPPOINTED that the bonus CD would not play.
on August 7, 2007
Very enjoyable CD for those who like mixing a mexican folk sound with rock. Quite a wall of sound for two individuals. Never a dull moment and accompanying video a good marketing tool for motivating someone to see them live if they come to your city. I missed them when they came to Chicago in July, but heard the first song on this CD and immediately knew I wanted to buy it. I wasn't disappointed with the rest of the CD either. Everyone I turn it on to, loves it. I'm anxiously awaiting for them to release a new CD and hope they return to Chicago soon (they should consider playing at the Music Without Borders series in Chicago where all kinds/ages of people can be exposed to this energetic duo).
on July 14, 2015
I'm officially obsessed with this CD now. I first heard this couple interviewed on NPR, then recognized one of their songs on my son's Puss 'n Boots soundtrack. Their artistry and creativity are amazing. You can't really appreciate their skills, though, until you watch the bonus features. I highly recommend the tutorial. I don't play guitar, but my husband does. Some of the fingerings and percussion sounds they make are done in rapid-fire sequence, and will blow you away. The only negative is the couple's gratuitous cursing. They make it an art form!
on October 27, 2006
I learned about this pair when my local radio station (KFOG) started playing Tamacun, and I found myself turning up the volume every time the song came on. Just love it.

So, the album has eight other songs, and - behold - they all stand up. Each one is interesting, passionate, energetic, and unique. In all, a great album, one I plan on listening to until the disc turns to dust.

Now, this ablum comes with a DVD that shows Rod & Gab playing, and even has a "tutorial," where they explain how they play Tamacun in excrutiating detail. It's fascinating, and after watching, I felt admiration at their mastery of their instruments, but that's not all that goes into the music. The songs are lyrical, even without lyrics, and I am in awe of their skill and art.

In short, this is a terrific album that defies definition.
on July 6, 2017
on January 25, 2010
Rodrigo & Gabriela have develpod a style of acoustic guitar music that is both breathtaking audio and visually stunning.
Gabriela's use of her percusive Spanish/mexican style brings flourishing rhythms and the driving heavy thump of a bass drum.
The nylon strung accoustic guitar has never before been used to such dramatic effect. Even the masters of the Spanish flamenco technique
have not achieved such a sustained level of rhythmic excellence. On top of that both Rodrego & Gabriela perform with such an enthusiastic level of excitement that is infectious and heart warming.
The second disc DVD should not be missed.
The live concert makes it worth the price but then you get a guitar lesson in which Gabriela shows you how to play her style of guitar.
And then there's their story video when you find out a bit of their history. Both of these give you a real in depth insight into their lives and just how lovely Gabriela is. Even when she's pissed as a parrot and streaming expletives.
on June 10, 2013
Considering I paid no more than $9.00 for the CD DVD all original in packaging that's pretty awesome. My daughter and I are now going to see them in Kansas City. She is seven and It will be her first concert. We are stoked.

When you buy the CD DVD, you can then also save them to your system and then use them however you want. You own it. That is why I will always prefer Amazon because you can buy the hardcopy music and enjoy it how you like.

The DVD helped us to better understand who they are. If you watch the DVD with your kids be prepared for colorful language. After seeing them on Austin City Limits I was hooked.
on August 24, 2011
If you've never heard or seen them: it's not what you think!

This is some amazing guitar work that has expanded my mind and also my own playing palette.

Gab plays with rumba flamenca technique, but rumba is not the style of music they play. What comes out is difficult to describe. It's very percussive. It has elements of metal, jazz and others.

Rod mostly solos with a pick and plays scalar melodies over Gab's percussive/harmonic expressions.

The two are quite brilliant. I recommend you check them on YouTube, rodgab.com and elsewhere.

I'm very happy I bought this, both for the music and for the DVD that came with it which offers, among other things, an entertaining glimpse of Gabriela's -- ehm -- "irreverent" character.