BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 2, 2012
Owning and liking the Rogue Flashbender Small and the Flashbender Large, I did not hesitate to buy the Honeycomb Grid. I have experimented with it extensively to learn how it's light is projected onto a background. There is a lot of control. The high quality and security of how the Grid attaches to the flash is equal to the quality and security of the Flashbenders. I also tried the Grid in the Flashbender Small rolled up in a snoot as they said I could do and that also worked easily and securely. It provided yet a different circle of light.
Know that there are only two grids that make up the three choices of circle diameter. The picture on the box is wrong in that it shows a grid in the bezel and the two "real" grids in an exploded diagram. There are only a total two grids. That confused me at first because one of the grids comes inserted into the bezel and fits so supremely well that I didn't know it slid in and out with moderate and appropriate finger pressure. The three circle diameters come from using either one of the two different sized grids or using both grids together.
I will buy the colored gel set.
on May 8, 2012
The Rogue 3-in-1 grid produces BEAUTIFUL round spots of light, thanks in part to the reflective inside of the hood, similar to what you see in the Rogue Flashbender. Being able to switch between degrees of spread quickly, and without needing to grab an entirely different piece of hardware is great, and something that people who have struggled with rectangular grids will appreciate. The 3-in-1 unit is handy, and produces exactly the kind of light you want, all in a simple package.

That said, I have two complaints. First off, the front unit, the bit of rubber/plastic that holds the grids and attaches to the front of the hood does not lock in place with any degree of certainty. It just kind of slides into place over the seam on the edge of the fabric and stays in place by pressure and friction. I'm not sure how this could be done better and more elegantly, but even with all four "tabs" going over the seam, I've had the end cap fall out on a few occasions. Maybe if it were a permanent part of the hood, sewn in place, it would be more reliable, although that might cut down on the ease of replacing the discs. I don't know, but it's kind of a problem. I'm also not really happy with the hood itself, as it tends to droop down when mounted as the instructions call for. I've taken to mounting it upside down, so that when it inevitably starts to droop, it at least doesn't cut off the light output.

Then there's the price. Rogue makes fantastic stuff, and obviously a lot of engineering went into this thing, but $50 is a lot to drop on a great concept with so-so implementation. It definitely gets the job done with beautiful results, but I'd feel a lot better if the hood were stiffer, and the end cap were attached by some sort of locking mechanism.
on May 16, 2013
I am a professional photographer of 33 years so I am have some sense of what products do their job and which do not. This item seemed fine as I bought the Expodisc from this company. However the elastic bands that hold the snoot in place are useless. The nub they wrap around is too short and rounded and they just fall off. I got so frustrated I just Crazy Glued the snoot part to the fabric casing it goes on - in the front. Problem solved but they should reworked their design.
on January 13, 2013
Very nice, simple snoot/grid with the following advantages:
- Provides with three sizes of spot (either grid or both)
- Small enough to fit in my bag all the time
- Comes with a small pouch very suitable for transportation

One caveat: the sleeve material being somewhat flexible, it may take some manipulation to get the light spot where you want it. This can come as an advantage as you can get it slightly off axis while still having your flash in the locked forward position.

One unforeseen usage for it: direct the remote ETTL control burst of a 580Ex-II to a Canon slave without triggering another dumb slave (e.g. Yongnuo 560Ex) synching on the TTL preflash plus flash. Just aim carefully the master to the Canon slave and not the Yongnuo.
Sweet.
on March 27, 2015
Why did I give this product only 3 stars? Build quality is nice, but I think that it is $20 over-priced. The honeycomb mesh is plastic, compared to the another set I have that are totally metal. Also, to hold the honeycomb piece inside the canvas pouch(that connects to the flash) it uses an elastic band that I'm nervous will eventually snap, or dry rot if it gets wet.
on February 2, 2015
I LOVE this grid. I have also tried the Gary Fong snoot with grid, and the Opteka grids for speedlights. This is by far the best. Not only is the build quality and mounting system superior to the others, but the quality of the light output is in another league. The Gary Fong snoot was a joke. It was hard as hell to put on securely. It was way too heavy and wouldn't allow me to adjust the angle of the flash without it falling under the weight. And most importantly, the quality of light sucked. When using it on a background, you could clearly see the grid lines in the light. The Opteka's are a great value at less than $10, but they don't produce a nice round spot on the background like the Rogue. I often use the Opteka's for hairlight or kicker lights, and I use the Rogue if I need a round spot on the background or an even pool of light on my subject. So, if a perfect round spot is important to you, then the Rogue is the only solution I have found for speedlights. If it isn't, I say grab a few different sized Opteka's.
on November 5, 2014
Love the Rogue ROGUEGRID 3-In-1 Stacking Honeycomb Grid, works well in "certain conditions." It is not a global solution, nor should one think it is, it's a light modification for specific shoots. As for what it does, expected to do, and the quality of the product I give it a 9/10 rating. Solid, easy to use, works well, durable and functional. I would highly recommend if using for portraits, low light, soft light, vintage shoots, etc.
on January 14, 2014
I FINALLY got around to using this grid system for flash. While I had checked it out at the time of purchase, I've finally had reason to use it and I'm glad I purchased it.

It did exactly what I was looking for and did it well. It fits my Canon flash just fine. The grids are easy to get in and out and make this very handy what with the variable control of the light.

The travel pouch is handy too as it keeps everything together. I was more impressed than I expected to be.
on July 17, 2014
Cost aside (steep for what it is); the little elastic bands that hold on the grid on don't have a good spot to 'bite' into on the grid holder. Making it cumbersome to attach and leaves little confidence the grid won't wobble loose.

Update: I had this FLY OFF my flash into the middle of the dance floor during a first dance because I brought my camera up to my face too quickly. Get a MagMod.
on November 16, 2013
I recently purchased (11/12/13) the latest revision on the Rogue Flash Grid, and its exceeded my expectations. I have a few other ExpoImaging Rogue products (Flashbender, Diffusion Panel, Gels) and like those, its well made, and works as expected. The Rogue Grid is great for isolating your subject, or making the background more interesting. The newest version has been redesigned and has elastic bands that hold the grid to the strap, so dont be concerned about the comments about the grid falling apart, its a non issue. I've used it to create a "spotlight", angled down on a flash, and it stayed together for the few hours it was on the flash raised to ceiling height. Easy to use, spot on with the revisions, and should get years of use out of it. I strongly recommend the Rogue Flash Grid, and consider getting a set of the circular gels at the same time, the results are amazing!