Truck Reviews HPC Magazine Deals Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on February 13, 2014
I bought a Roku 1 a few months ago and really like it a lot. The access to Amazon Prime Instant Video as well as the other apps makes it a worthwhile investment. I wanted another for a different location and liked the fact that the '3' has the headset that plugs into the remote and the wired Ethernet port option. They also claim a "fives times faster processor" which may be true but I don't see any difference in performance (which is just fine on the '1'). I bought the refurbed '3' from Otter Trading (fulfilled by Amazon) which is packaged and looks like new. The only issue was that the included batteries for the remote were dead but the included HDMI cable makes up for that.
Aside from the headphone jack on the remote, I actually prefer the remote that comes with the '1' but it's not huge difference. The earbuds included are awful - a cheap throwaway like the ones the airlines hand out for free. They couldn't possibly have cost Roku more than two bits. You'll want to use the better ones you have for your music player or buy some.
The crappy headphones and dead batteries are minor inconveniences that are easily solved but the last issue has no obvious solution (I'm still looking though). When the headphones are plugged into the remote the sound is cut from the HDMI output so there is no sound to the speakers. While it makes perfect sense to cut the speakers off for private listening there should be an option to leave them on. In my case, I prefer to listen with earbuds for better dialog clarity while my wife is fine with the speakers. The earbuds also let me listen at a louder level without blasting the speakers at levels others find uncomfortable. Hopefully this can be added in a future firmware revision.
on January 15, 2014
1) Mine was shipped with dead batteries for the remote. This was difficult to tell because of condition2 below.
2) Mine was shipped without the remote being paired to the Roku device. Therefore, with good or bad batteries
the Roku would not respond to the remote. I put what I felt were good batteries in the remote (my own) and then followed
the instructions in the back of the set-up guide for pairing the remote. I was within a few seconds of sending the whole thing back
when I saw those instructions.
3) When I used the headphones, they worked, but after about 10 minutes switched off. This may be another battery issue, but I just have not had time to figure this one out yet.
4) expect some minor abrasions/scratches. Mine was not is the completely shiney new condition, but I expected this from a refurbished product. Overall, it looks good.
2 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on January 9, 2014
We bought a new Roku 3 from Amazon back in December and LOVE it! So we wanted a 2nd one for another room, thus we went with this refurbished unit that included a HDMI cable! It appears brand new. The batteries were out of the shrink wrap, but no surprise there as it is a refurbished unit, and it came in a plain cardboard box, but otherwise it contained all the same items as my previously purchased brand new unit

1 reason why I went with refurbished is that thanks to my research, I found out other people do NOT do their own research on the Roku or similar players like it. Many think they are getting a lot of free programming, which is somewhat true, but its not the stuff most want to watch, such as Netflix, HULU, HBO, etc you still have to pay for those services. So those that don't do the research get all upset, leave bad reviews and return them, thus saving $$$ for us other people. Very happy with this purchase and it arrived in very timely manner! 2 thumbs up
23 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on June 14, 2016
love my Roku, I do get the news- I signed up for All Access CBS it is something like 2-3.00 per month and I can see the news live, watch big bang episodes and many more 9twilight zone). you can also get other local news channels live stream... it just takes time to learn where things are. Once you have that figured out it is awesome. I also have Net flicks AND HBO so that I can watch Game of Thrones. all still cheaper than cabel!!!!! and I get to see what I want when I want! My friend bought a sports package for himself for just $20.00 per month and Oh yes I have Amazon Prime so many free movies there as well and/or I can rent the new releases. It is great and I wish I knew of this sooner.
on January 28, 2014
If you're using one of the older Rokus and don't think you need to upgrade...."you're wrong". A lot of work has obviously gone into not just the hardware improvements, but the software as well. This new Roku is a big part of why I'm getting much closer to going away from cable.

The interface for Netflix is much slicker; they now have a Search function that looks through all the available channels you have installed; YouTube has it's own channel (which also looks really slick); and the hardware improvements make the sluggish nature of the previous Rokus just disappear.

I have 3 Rokus in my home and will be replacing the other two with the Roku 3. Well worth the upgrade price.
One person found this helpful
on January 3, 2014
The bonus HDMI cable was a nice touch, but it helps if Roku also packages a power supply with their "factory refurbished to new operating condition" unit that fits. Mine came with a Roku 2 power supply, which has a larger connector than the Roku 3 unit. I guess Roku didn't bother to actually try and operate the Roku 3 unit using the packaged power supply...

Dead in the water upon arrival should merit one star, but I've edited this review and increased the rating to 3 stars based on Otter Creek Trading's outstanding five star plus customer service. Otter Creek Trading personally contacted me, handled everything with zero inconvenience, and had a new power supply in my hands the next business day! Wow! These guys took the risk out of ordering a refurbished unit and made it right fast.
24 people found this helpful
on February 24, 2014
Can't find much to dislike about this unit. Installation was super easy. It has a wireless remote, but the unit also responds to the Roku IR remotes as well. This is necessary to use with the Harmony remote controls. I use this one on a wired LAN to keep traffic off the wireless. The remote audio is nice as well for late night watching without disturbing the rest of the family. I've tried a number of solutions for set top clients and the Roku is darned good at any price. The only thing I would wish for is the ability to decode MPEG2 streams like a Rasberry Pi which would improve video quality.
on February 15, 2014
I like the feature set of the Roku 3 (better than the AppleTV, which I returned). However, movies streamed in HD via ethernet have annoying jerkiness in the picture every so often (a problem with many devices when streaming HD movies), regardless of the fact that a speed test shows our broadband cable has more than sufficient bandwidth.

It also freezes nearly everyday when streaming music. This may be due to heat from nearby electronics, which is said to cause the problem.

Despite the bugs, I like the unit and can live with the hiccups in streaming during TV shows.
on February 16, 2014
This is a very useful device. And So many thing are offered it is almost impossible to see
all things it has. I only wish my dishnetwork would link my history account but that is the fault
of Dishnetwork not Roku. I have contacted Roku and they have very good service in helping with
problems. I also wish you could do all the linking with just the Roku device itself instead of having
to go online to so many of the providers which can be cumbersome to do and often just give up
on the channel that is hard to link to. I think it will only get better. I wish the CW channel and the AMC
channels would link to Roku but so far they do not. Over all I am very pleased with the Roku.
One person found this helpful
on November 20, 2016
We set our box up and had to clear someone else's login information and reset the box to factory settings. Used or not that is incredibly poor form. This item should also have had a 6 foot HDMI cable according to the image... Adding a post script note that contradicts the available product image is not appropriate and is deceptive. The seller's own image should have been posted. Not impressed.