Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Roku HD Streaming Player (Certified Refurbished)
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

on December 2, 2013
I have 3 of these devices. I bought them 3 years ago and they all still work great. I also have bought a smart tv since that time but I prefer the Roku. It has more channels available than my smart TV and the process time is must faster. I have tried watching Netflix on my Wii, PS3, and Smart TV but the Roku has a much faster processing speed. Some say that has to do with the internet but I have the same internet throughout my home and the Roku's are 10-1 better. BTW...I also have HBOgo on the Roku, which my smart tv and Wii cannot support.
44 comments| 226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2013
Simple unit that houses my Netflix as well as other online streaming video(s). Refurbished is just the same as new!
0Comment| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2013
I needed something so I could watch Netflix and Hulu on my old TV that doesn't have a HDMI port. This fit the bill and works perfectly.
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2014
I've been thinking about getting one of these for months now but was too intimidated with the technology. In retrospect that was silly of me.... And I'm glad I finally got this baby.

First, I joined Netflix with my iPad. I signed up for the free trial and spent a few days seeing if there were shows/movies I would actually watch (you can also use Amazon movies, Hulu or crackle, etc.). Yes, lots! Then I researched how I could get Netflix to stream on my TV. The Roku was the best option for me: cheap and easy to use. The next cheapest method was the chrome cast device but that seems to require simultaneous usage of your iPad or phone. Not a good option. Then there are blue ray players and gaming consoles - all of which cost more than this.

After doing research I figured I would get an hdmi cable at the same time as this Roku. I'm not sure why or what they are actually called but I ordered a generic one for about $5. I believe this cable allows the streaming of HD quality TV rather than analog. (The Roku did come with cables to plug into the TV but they weren't hdmi cables and I didn't try them).

Anyway, the Roku and hdmi cable came in about 2 days. At first I freaked because I didn't know where to plug the hdmi cable into my TV but after poking around I found a slot for the cord. Then I plugged the Roku into the electrical socket. I turned my TV to the hdmi channel and pow - there was the Roku!

Turns out I had to actually go online and register the thing before I could actually use it but the registration process took only 5 minutes or so. They DID require a credit card number, in case you decide to pay for content, which I didn't really like. But I was able to quickly log into my Netflix account and get to watching.

Entire set up took under 10 minutes, with a lot of fumbling around on my part. I have a low bandwidth internet connection too but I've had zero streaming problems. So far so awesome. I will update this though if anything changes!

+++ UPDATE 6/6/14 +++

I still love my Roku. I use it a few times a week for Netflix and Amazon. As stated in my above review, there are other "channels" available, e.g., Redbox, Hulu, but I'm not a subscriber so I haven't tried them. I have had ZERO streaming problems or lag time with the Roku, but this could be because my wifi router (internet provider is Time Warner Cable with the lowest bandwidth option) is sitting right next to the Roku. I'm not thrilled with the available selection on Netflix and Amazon but that's for a different review.
on December 18, 2013
This is my second roku. The first went on the main tv and now this one for the secondary one. Who can beat cutting your cable bill by 100 bucks! All you need is internet (wifi) and you have tv. That simple. Sure you do not get what cable offers but if you are williing to wait a day and pay for hulu you can watch almost everything. You always have a choice of what to watch and no more dependance on what the networks want to show at any given time.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 28, 2013
This is our second Roku player. we have one on each of our older tv's in our bedrooms. It works great to stream Amazon Prime movies on a older tv. We also love the My Media feature on it where you can watch anything that you have on your computer on your tv.
on January 14, 2014
Love this thing! Was nervous about it beong refurbished but, it looks brand new and works just as well. Would recommend to anyone!
on February 5, 2014
First off, I used the Roku as a Netflix box. That's all it is to me. There are other good channels but the ones I'm interested in aren't free. My Xbox live expired, and up till that point I was paying $60 a year to occasionally play online, but mostly to watch Netflix. And I figured, hey, I already pay for Netflix, why do I have to pay for a service to watch Netflix?

So I canceled.

And I thought I would get a Roku HD refurbished, I mean it's only $40 bucks! It has Netflix and WiFi, what else do I need (other than an HDMI)?

Little did I know, there was a Netflix update that was on XBOX and Roku 3, and apple TV and many other devices. This update makes browsing Netflix 100 times easier and looks 10000 times better. It also uses Netflix Profiles. Meaning on one paying account, you can have multiple profiles to adjust Netflix to your liking. Perfect for families.

BUT... This amazing update DID NOT ROLL OUT ONTO ANY ROKU DEVICES except for the Roku 3. So, I paid for a worse service. I can't sign into my Netflix Profile, and have to watch the same movies that the rest of my family watches, because the Netflix interface is not good. (Netflix fault for that) It only shows the same 50 titles based on what you watch, so if my daughter is the main Netflix user and all she watches is sappy romance films, that's all I see on the front page, even though *I* have completely different taste. Of course you can search for titles, but seeing that Netflix doesn't have a majority of films that is an awful way to browse.

So, because Netflix hasn't updated their channel on any of the older Roku devices they are worthless to anyone who shares a Netflix account and has different tastes in films. Anything other than the Roku 3 is out of date, and in my opinion, worthless.

I have not owned or used a Roku 3, but I would definitely advice saving up for that instead of saving half of your money and buying an inferior and outdated product. Roku says they are working on getting the update, but seeing as it has been multiple months since the Netflix update, I assume that anything less than a Roku 3 is out of date and can't handle the update.
99 comments| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2014
I have access to things such as netflix, spotify, redbox, and more, for free, which has more than doubled the amount I saved by eliminating cable, we can see things as new or old as we want, and it has a warranty.Definitely going to purchase another one for the other tv in the house!
on December 28, 2013
I had no problems at all, everything worked without any complications. It was just like new, just nice not to pay the regular price.