Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 25, 2016
Bought the keyboard for my sons 16th birthday. He absolutely loves it. Nice weighted/graded keys. Features galore. There are no internal speakers, so I bought him the Roland Cube Monitor / PA aswell. Great sound out of a relatively same speaker. For practicing at home, it's more than adequate.
on June 17, 2013
We are very happy with this piano. The sound and feel of the piano is just like a real piano. Light enough to be easily moved.
on March 3, 2015
Great piano.. You don't need the more expensive bells and whistles to make great music.
on October 2, 2015
Very happy with product. Has good sound and excellent touch
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
When I was making my purchase decision it came down to this or the Roland RD-700NX 88-Key Digital Piano. I wanted a keyboard that I would not soon outgrow and one that was more stage-ready than studio ready (i.e., uncomplicated and easy to learn without sacrificing features that performing professionals needed.)

What won me over was the RD300NX features were not significantly different than the flagship RD700NX. Indeed, the sound was comparable, as was the selection of instrument types, and the keyboard feel was nearly identical on both. I decided the conveniences like the selection wheel on the 700NX for rapidly selecting an instrument voice, and other nice-to-have features were not worth the additional thousand dollars for the 700NX. I also liked the fact that the RD300NX is nearly 20 pounds lighter.

Make no mistake, the reason to purchase this board is for the piano voices and the keyboard feel. The organ, synth and other voices are not as impressive (although I do like the bass voices, especially when I split the keyboard and use double bass voicing for the bass keys.)

The organ voicings are frankly a little lame, especially if you want B3 emulation. I purchased a second board - a Roland V-combo 76 Key Stage Keyboard - to remedy that shortcoming (see my review for details.)

Back to the piano sounds: they are rich and accurate. The grand sounds like the real thing, and with the optional Roland RPU-3 pedal, combined with the amazingly realistic key feel, it would be difficult to distinguish between this board and the real thing. As an aside, while I purchased the RPU-3 pedal as an accessory it spends most of its life in storage because the Roland DP-10 Real-Feel Pedal with Non-Slip Rubber Plate is more than sufficient for most playing situations.

The keyboard has many features I have never used, such as the ability to build custom pianos and layer sounds, which I am sure some pianists will find useful - especially in a studio - but for me they held little interest. On the other hand, the ease of navigation and selecting the instrument voice you want with little fuss is a major plus.

Another characteristic is the solid construction of this board. I store and transport mine in a custom made ATA case, and I recommend that you invest in a high quality case if you are using this instrument for gigging. I do not like the power supply that the RD300NX requires because it is flimsy and too short for on stage use (the RD700NX uses a standard cord). I highly recommend that you purchase an additional power supply as a spare: Roland PSB-120 Power Adapter (same as PSB-1U).

Overall, this is one of the best keyboards for musicians who want a solid instrument on stage, and who play mainly piano (as I said, the organ sounds are lacking in my opinion.) I have never regretted opting for this model over the RD700NX and suggest that you make a careful comparison between the two if you are considering the higher end instrument and make your purchase decision accordingly.
22 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 25, 2012
To preface this review, I've been a part-time professional jazz pianist for the past 30 years (restaurants, small concert venues, etc.). I've always been partial to Roland, I think they have the best piano and Rhodes sounds. Previously I had a Roland RD700sx, but this 300nx is a far superior instrument. It's lighter by about 15 lbs. and can be carried in a gig bag instead of a soft case, so it's actually more like 35 lbs.lighter.

My biggest complaint about a digital pianos was the lack of an adequate dynamic response. This one has DR to spare! I can bang on the keys as hard as I want and not only does the volume increase, but the timbre and overtones change imitating a real grand pretty well. The action is also a very realistic medium/heavy action with ivory textured keys, a pleasure to play. Right now I'd rather play the Roland than my 1920 Steinway M.

Although there are many sounds available, the only sounds that are really excellent are the pianos and electric pianos and those tones can be adjusted to taste. Unfortunately the incredible Hammond B3 sounds of my 700sx aren't on this keyboard.

Please note that I play it through a Motion Sound KeyPro 100, a true stereo amp, with Monster keyboard cables. I can't recommend more highly using a true stereo amp or PA with any keyboard.

I've only had the keyboard a couple of months and really haven't gotten past using the simplest controls. Nevertheless, I love it, and other musicians at gigs are blown away by the sound. The bottom line is if you are a serious player, I would strongly recommend testing one out before you buy something else, I'm sure you'll be impressed.
33 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 8, 2014
The 300NX may be superior to its predecessor the 300GX in updated patch quality and touch which would make it fine for sitting in a studio or home but in terms of gigging practicality the 300GX is far superior in terms of patch changing / volume control / splitting and layering.

The 300GX is a pleasure to use in regards to these essential gigging categories where it is necessary to frequently adjust parameters and make patch changes. The reason for this is that the 300GX has simple buttons built onto the hardware that makes adjusting any of these a simple click or two away. Unfortunately on the NX this is not so. Layering, splitting and even volume control require that you sift through digital menus in order to make changes.

My biggest problem with the NX comes with frequent patch changes. On the GX let's say you're playing a song where you need to switch between E.Piano patch #12 and Synth patch #6 frequently throughout the piece. Well on the GX this is simple, select #12 in the E.Piano and #6 in the Synths and then you can easily jump back and forth between them just by pushing their respective category buttons. This easy and intuitive function does not exist in the NX. Instead every time you change between E.Piano and Synth categories it will send you back to the beginning of the category where you will have to sift through to the one you were using, hope your setting wasn't in the end of the memory bank or it could take a while.

To add insult to injury when it comes to patch changing let's stay with the current hypothetical situation. I'm playing a song that requires I change between a synth and an e.piano multiple times. It seems intuitive that you would want the volume of the two patches to remain consistent to the sub fader that these are assigned to. This is the case on the 300GX you set your max volume level on the master fader and then control patch volume with the sub faders which remain consistent from patch change to patch change. Well on the 300NX every time you change the patch the sub faders are completely ignored and the volume is reset every time to the max of whatever you have the master fader set to. This can result in unwanted volume EXPLOSIONS if you change the patch without re adjusting the sub faders before playing the new patch.

Need to make a layer or split? With the 300NX you can be prepared to ask the band to wait on you while you sift through the appropriate digital menus while on the 300GX both functions can be accomplished with as few as two button clicks.

The 300GX was and is a great keyboard, I really looked forward to the 300NX but was horrified after gigging with it nightly for 7 months. The hoops I had to jump through to generally approximate the fluid ease of the 300GX were by far not worth the improved patch sounds or slightly better touch. I found a used 300GX in perfect condition and could not ask for more. . . except for a Nord. . . but that's another story!
33 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 10, 2017
Last summer, I purchased the Roland RD 300NX stage piano, and I have been thoroughly impressed with its performance thus far. This instrument definitely belongs on stage, as it is beautiful and sounds incredible. If you are looking for a solid gigging instrument that can handle the rigors of the road, this is the one. I’ve played piano professionally for four years and I have come to expect my instruments to be user friendly, durable, well designed, and visually and audibly pleasing.

Durability
This piano is a weighty 50 lbs., but it’s solid metal casing and heavy duty knobs and sliders make it durable enough to travel without a case night after night. I have seen mine take falls that would have destroyed many lower end keyboards and not take even the slightest ding. Last fall, I was playing a gig outdoors when it began pouring rain on me and my band. After the set, I was pleased to find that the piano still functioned perfectly, despite being heavily rained on.

Sound
This keyboard is at home on stage in a way that most pianos aren’t, but the stage is really the only place for it. Its lack of built in speakers saves a lot of space and weight, but also requires headphones or a good amp for practice. That said, this keyboard will sound fantastic on any headphones or amps you may already own, and it will play very nicely through any PA system at your live shows. It is refreshing to see that this instrument isn’t trying to be something other than a stage piano; there are better options for studio use with more midi-controllable buttons and a more compact design, but those pianos simply won’t last on tour. As you deal with the stresses of travel, you’ll be happy to know this piano will not let you down. This stage piano is best at being a stage piano, and that is truly its greatest feature.

Design
The menus for tone selection and control are well designed and easy to navigate. They make effective changes to the tones and it is easy for you to customize and store sounds for later use. The two assignable effects buttons, reverb and delay, are awesome and very effective. The effects are just subtle enough to not sound fake and are easily controlled to fill out any of your live settings. By far, the best feature of the tone control is the on board equalizer. The knobs are very sturdy and each of the three controllers can have a drastic effect of the sound, which is essential if you need to make changes on the fly. The flexibility you have here is incredible. The keyboard is a sleek and compact instrument, it is compatible with all standard keyboard stands, and has all the inputs and outputs you might ever need, including USB and MIDI in and out.

Conclusion
I guarantee that you will always be amazed at the craftsmanship of this piano. Roland’s strong build and great sound has really outdone itself. I will always buy from Roland in the future because no other keyboard will ever come close in reliability.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 5, 2013
I've had this keyboard for a couple of days, and so far there are a few things I like about it and a few things I don't. It's simple and straightforward to use, and has a nice solid steel body. It's kind of heavy, but not too bad.

Contrary to the other reviewers, I don't really like the piano sound that much. It isn't a bad piano, but it's very dark sounding and kind of muddy. That's fine if you want a dark sounding piano, but if you're in the mood for something else, you're kind of out of luck. There are several presets based on that one piano with the brightness adjusted, but it's the same piano. (There's also a honky-tonk piano with a kind of detuned chorus sound and a mono grand.) For what it's worth, I'm comparing against a Yamaha MOX8.

If micro-tones are your thing, this really isn't the synth for that. There are some presets for just intonation and various other historical tunings (though the manual is vague about the details), all based on 12 tones per octave. The piano setting lets you individually tune every note on the keyboard +/- 50 cents (to emulate the tuning quirks of a real piano), but you can only do that for the piano, which is a shame because would love to be able to fine tune some of the organs.

The feel of the keyboard is fine. I don't really notice a difference between the Roland and the MOX8.
on March 7, 2013
As soon as I began playing this keyboard my playing improved! It brings out the best in me. I don't need all the sounds, bells, and whistles, but they're there. The only problem I've found is that when I'm playing really fast with a lot of notes flying, the keyboard can't seem to keep up. It's a minor annoyance for me, but if I were a recording artist –I 'm not – I imagine it would be noticable.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.