Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 474 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 529 reviews
on November 25, 2012
This book reads like all of Willie's songs rolled together. If you're looking for a standard autobiography, you won't find it here. While reading this book, it felt like I was on the bus, a part of the family, hearing their stories first hand, rolling down the highway, a song in the making. Willie has stories like no other, telling jokes one minute then talking seriously about the things that matter most to him like family, fans, Texas and the music. He waxes poetic on everything from Farm Aid, God, politics, marijuana, childhood antics, golf, poker, family, friends and other musings from A to Z. These are all homegrown stories as only Willie can spin them. After reading this book, one can see why the idea of Willie for Nobel Peace Prize is floating around. As his wife Annie says, "He has a way of seeing life that is a gift to anyone lucky enough to spend time with him" and his daughter Amy writes, "He transcends boundaries, opens hearts and unites people." On page 159 is a collection of Willie's pearls of wisdom. I'm not going to tell you what they are. I suggest you buy the book and start applying them in your own life because, well, this reviewer believes that Willie just makes sense!
on August 14, 2015
The first line is about a baby born in a manger... and that about sums Willie up.

Willie isn't as much a story writer as a music and lyrics writer. He's entertaining and enlightening and his life is most certainly eye-opening ~ but this and the Tao are very much the same book with the exception of family inserts in this one. The bottom line is that at no point in time do you every dislike anything Willie... but be prepared for his 'Dad jokes' ~ some are red hot but most... well you know.

I think I was looking for more road stories. More about the traveling bus and the places he's played. There are some tales but not enough for the shenanigans that Willie and his band mustered up. I wanted more Highwaymen and more of that brotherhood. I wanted more skin and bones and yet who is closer than his family? I wanted more Sister Bobbie because she's got that Mona Lisa smile that says it all. But I heard from the kids and from his wife and a gentle smattering of stories of the olden days.

Like so many of his readers, I have travelled many miles to go see Willie and have never been disappointed. I worked in Lake Tahoe and remember when the bus would roll into town and the band would call the friends that they had previously made and we'd all get together for some softball and smoking and backstage passes... I think I wanted those times to be immortalised. But am I being selfish? Or adding to the levity and mystery of Willie and the band?

I still have an iron-on badge given to me by the great man himself in 1976 that says that 'This gets your ass in free'. I was assured that this would also hold true for any of the Highwaymen but now I live in Australia and they just don't seem to come this way very often anymore.

I enjoyed this book. If I had read it before the Tao of Willie, I would have enjoyed it even more but this one almost seemed like an epilogue to that one. Still, I would never say no to a yarn from Willie.
on February 9, 2015
Well i still love Willie, but this book was more than a little disjointed (no pun intended), and in need of a producer or co-writer i think. I'm not sure what the aim of this was... it's not up to his last three books really. It's a little this and a little that, his random thoughts on being on the road. His random song lyrics and jokes... The most interesting parts are from some of his family members particularly his sons and daughters and wife, Annie Nelson. Although at times some of them are clearly being careful with what they say and how they say it.
For a fan, you gotta have it. But, there isn't really anything new in it. Now being that i read this 2 years after it came out, it's almost time for his new version of his Autobiography, should be interesting to see how that is put together and if it adds new info from his previous books.
on May 28, 2014
Some unfavorable reviews here seem to miss what I believe is the point of this book. Willie was nearly 80 when he wrote it, and in his old age he seems to be even less willing to follow a formula than in his youth. I take this as an update to his earlier autobiography, which he wrote while in his fifties. Here, those of us who care can see where Willie is as he approaches the end of a long career in which he has enriched millions of lives with his fine music and generosity. Some say the book "rambles" or "meanders," but I think what it does is reflects the improvisation and creativity that make his music so great. Also, he clearly decided he would write what he damned well pleased, and I think he has earned that. This book is basically like hanging out with Willie. For a more complete picture of the man, see also "Willie: An Autobiography" or "The Tao of Willie."

Much negativity is made of Willie's choice to use cannabis. I suspect this is often by people who may not have partaken much of either life or cannabis.
on July 31, 2017
Easy to read, the book is a series of vignettes written Willie and his family. Personal glimpses about his life with some of Willies wisdom. A very enjoyable glimpse of his life and values.
on June 17, 2013
As a longtime major fan of Willie Nelson, I never miss a chance to read anything about or by him. My favorite book about Willie Nelson is still his autobiography.

Roll Me Up and... is basically a series of Thank You notes with a dollop of his pre-Mega-Star life's story (without the juicy details)and a dash of the Outlaw philosophy that has carried him through a lot of very hard times (largely brought upon himself by himself). Most of the book is Willie introducing friends/mentors/family/employees (no surprise that they are pretty much interchangeable) and giving credit where credit is due. Each of Willie's kudos is followed by a Back-Atcha-Willie written by the recipient (if still living) of Willie's praise. After three of these, I skimmed through or skipped over the rest.

I'll be kind and call this a "fast read". Other than his current age, his marriage to Annie lasting 27 years and nearly everybody still showing up at family celebrations and concerts, there's little new about Willie in the book. And I include his jokes.

Buy his autobiography and skip the "I've Been Had!" feeling that lingers after paying for this.
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2012
If you are a Willie Nelson fan, read this book. If you are NOT a Willie Nelson fan, then you should be, and you will be if you read this book. Willie is a great man, poet, philosopher and family man. The book? Why the book is a work of art. There are lyrics, ( mostly his own) and illustrations by his son Micah.

We all know a lot of things about Willie Nelson, his music, his tribulations and his charity. I had no idea that he was a philosopher, or a man so loving that his patchwork family doesn't know or care who started where or why. That, in my opinion, is his greatest talent. He is an amazing and loving family man.

Scattered throughout the book you will find stories and thoughts about Willie, written by family and friends. They are a beautiful tribute. This book is not great literature, but it is great art, and great love.
on June 15, 2017
Great book insightful and numerous. Loved the jokes Also it was entertaining to read personal stories about Willies friends and family
on August 17, 2013
We may never see another Willie. I have liked much, not all; of his music for years. After reading this book, I like him as a man. I was surprised that he sees himself primarily as a song writer. Now I know he is a prolific writer with a string of hits originally recorded by others - some of Country's all time great songs that I was unaware he wrote. His family life was also interesting. Surprising to me, he does not use alcohol or drugs. What he has to say about that is worth knowing. Of course he apparently does not see pot as "drugs," an idea that is gaining great momentum as I write this, but an idea that I am not comfortable with. I wrote a poem about Willie. It ends, "We will always have Willie won't we? Won't we?" Sadly no. Emotionally, I would rate this book five stars. Settled on four because I don't want to disappoint those looking for polish - this is Willie so take it like it is and enjoy. .
on October 4, 2013
I got to know Willie while working for Leon Russell. Ten years of seeing Willie, getting to know his family, band, and road crew. I found him to be the most honest, sincere, and caring entertainer I have ever met. And to know him, you are Blessed. There is no difference between the man and the entertainer.
Roll me up and smoke me is another one of Willie's books that tells of his life, his friends, and the road.
He tells it all, not just some of it or the best parts, everything. With a wonderful Forward by Kinky Friedman, one of Willie's closest friends. Don't forget to get "The Facts Of Life and Other Dirty Jokes" which goes hand in hand with "Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die". One thing for sure, either book will leave you smiling as much as if you just got done "visiting" on the bus with him...lol.