Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
The Roll Model: A Step-by-Step Guide to Erase Pain, Improve Mobility, and Live Better in Your Body Paperback – November 4, 2014
|New from||Used from|
"Children of Blood and Bone"
Tomi Adeyemi conjures a stunning world of dark magic and danger in her West African-inspired fantasy debut. Pre-order today
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Jill has put forth one of the great works of public health in our time. (- Dr. Kelly Starrett co-founder of Mobilitywod, New York Times bestselling Author of Becoming a Supple Leopard)
Short of taking Jill Miller home with you,there is no better source for step-by-step self-care health-care than The Roll Model. Metamorphosis is not only for butterflies- you too can change your body into a different animal. The Roll Model is a book as robust as your health will be after reading it. (- Katy Bowman, M.S. author of Move Your DNA: Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement)
Mobility is the key to unlocking next level strength and performance in your body. Jill Miller is not only the master of this, she teaches it in a way that simplifies the science and gives clear instructions that anyone at any fitness level can use immediately. My body has never been happier. And my foam roller has never been more jealous. (- Adam Rosante, Celebrity Fitness & Wellness Coach, author, The 30-Second Body.)
Where movement meets method is where the rubber hits the road in any therapeutic practice and it is there that great change can take place. The Roll Model presents a concrete roadmap for pain management, body ease, and movement efficiency. Jill’s energy, endless curiosity and extensive work in the areas of anatomy and yoga therapy all “rolled” into one, make her voice unique. ‘Live better in your body’ is a promise you can bank on when working with Jill’s self-care methodology and The Roll Model may be just be the breakthrough your body has been secretly been begging for and the path toward true physical freedom. (- Brooke Siler, author of NY Times Bestseller The Pilates Body, Your Ultimate Pilates Body Challenge, The Women’s Health Big Book of Pilates)
I really love the 'live better in your body' part of the promise of this book—it should be a priority for everyone. And I think Jill Miller's approach to self-massage is excellent. One of my personal goals is always expansion—becoming more open and more flexible, both physically as well as mentally. I often think that where the body goes, the mind follows. And a flexible body—one that can really move—can go farther and longer. (- Gabrielle Reece, former pro beach volleyball player and certified trainer)
This carefully written and beautifully illustrated book lays out a comprehensive new system of 'self-care healthcare' that’s grounded in science, honed by experience, and proven by an exceptional track record of success. The Roll Model offers an invaluable resource for anyone who is ready to expand their self-care repertoire, or works to support others in sustaining optimal health. (-Carol Horton, PhD, author of Yoga PhD; co-editor of 21st Century Yoga)
About the Author
JILL MILLER is the co-founder of Tune Up Fitness Worldwide (www.tuneupfitness.com) and the creator of the corrective exercise format Yoga Tune Up® and the Roll Model® Method. With more than 28 years of study in anatomy and movement, she is a pioneer in forging relevant links between the worlds of fitness, yoga, massage, and pain management. She has presented case studies at the Fascia Congress and the International Symposium of Yoga Therapists and is a regular at fitness conferences worldwide.
Known as the “Teacher’s Teacher,” Jill has trained thousands of movement educators, clinicians, and manual therapists to incorporate her Therapy Ball products and fitness therapy approach, which can be found in fitness clubs, CrossFit boxes, health spas, chiropractic and physical therapy offices, and corporate wellness and medical facility programs worldwide. Her specialized Yoga Tune Up teaching team leads classes, workshops, and trainings internationally.
Jill and her Roll Model products have been featured on Good Morning America, TODAY, Fox News, and ABC News and in publications such as O, Shape, Fitness, W, Self, Yoga Journal, Women’s Health, Redbook, Fit Pregnancy, Prevention, and the Huffington Post. Jill sits on the advisory board of Natural Health magazine and is a contributing fitness expert to the LA Times and the Oprah Winfrey Network. She has built a library of more than 55 best-selling fitness therapy DVDs, including Treat While You Train, Coregeous®, QuickFix Rx, and KneeHab, as well as Pranamaya’s Yoga Link and Gaiam’s Yoga for Weight Loss. Jill lives in Los Angeles with her husband, Robert, daughter, Lilah, and two rescue mutts.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
- This system helped me regain range of motion in parts of my body that had grown stiff.
- She does a really good job with showing anatomy - the bones and muscles in Chapter 5. That's really helped me sort out how to do the exercises properly. The sequences are beautifully photographed - but for some you need to figure out how to put the ball in just the right place and you need to use the landmarks within your own body to really get it. Her anatomy pictures really help.
- If you have the discipline to do this on your own, the book and the balls are a relatively cheap solution for the amount of gain you'll get in your body (pain relief, greater flexibility) when you consider the alternatives of chiropractors, physical therapists, massages, pain meds, etc..
- Even if you're lucky enough to find classes in your area, there's never enough time to get to everything in an hour. Having this manual really helps you work on your own.
- The weight and binding of this book are a problem. I've been very gentle with this book and use my recipe book holder to keep it upright while I try the exercises but the pages are ripping out.
- The extra material such as the case studies are inspiring on first read (I particularly like the one featuring the dog) but they make the book too heavy and large for practice.
What could be improved:
- I wish she'd make a companion manual showing strictly the exercises with a spiral binding so the exercise pages could lie flat. Ideally one exercise per page or on two facing pages so you don't have to flip back and forth. It would be easier to follow the full sequence and lighter for travel.
- An app that you could use on your tablet (phone would be too small)
- Personally, I flip around in this book a lot. I don't think the Kindle edition would be practical.
What to buy:
- I'd recommend a pair of toted plus balls, 1 alpha ball, and a coregeous ball to start - in that order
Other helpful props:
- Recipe Book holder (the sort that holds the book open to the right page) so you can prop open the book and look at the exercises while you're on your side/back
- Yoga blocks
- It would help to have a yoga mat (depending on the surfaces in your house)
- I don't tend to use the smaller original balls very often. For me, they're optional.
Couple extra tips:
- Where you are particularly stiff, some of the exercises can be painful at first. When you go slow, persist, and use your breath, the body responds and starts to release. It can also help to start with the larger ALPHA ball for the parts that are really painful as it's larger size helps until you're ready to move onto the PLUS (medium and most often used size)
- If you use the system regularly, you'll become more aware of your body and will find parts of your body craving to be stretched and rolled out.
- You will also discover that while you may be experiencing pain in one part of your body, the source of the issue may be in a nearby spot that has grown tight. The painful spot is simply overcompensating for another spot's weakness and/or inflexibility.
- I've also used (and continue to use) the products by Yamuna and her Ultimate Body Rolling Workout book. That said, the YTB help me get much deeper into my fascia and tissues.