Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on August 29, 2008
When I first heard a few snippets I was immediately struck by the precision, the soulfulness, the voice. A full listen confirmed those impressions. While reminiscent of some of the greats, and obviously inspired by them (Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, others most of us may not have even heard of), Paperboy Reid & the True Loves sound like themselves. The sound is clearer and cleaner than 60s recordings, though faithful to the instrumentation and approach of classic soul of its ilk, and Reid has a voice that has its own soul and its own sound. He doesn't sound like his famous mentors; he sounds like Paperboy Reid. Without in any way diminishing the stars of the 60s who paved the way, it's safe to say this guy has greater vocal range. In time, I'd like to hear exploration of issues beyond love, lust and betrayal, but until then this is just fine.
on July 18, 2009
I stumbled upon Eli "Paperboy" Reed via Youtube. I liked what I heard and so I decided to buy the album. I bought the Japanese pressing of the cd, which includes the extra track, "walkin' and Talkin' (For My Baby)." When you first put this cd on and listen to the opening tack, "Stake Your Claim," you know you're in for a good ride. The cd throughout is incredible. My favorite track is, "I'll Roll with You." I can listen to that song over and over and over...This "Paperboy" does not fail to deliver. Keep them coming Eli "Paperboy" Reed!!!
on January 8, 2011
I first saw Eli on an internet show Live From Daryl's House [...], and was thoroughly impressed. Although this album is good, the music from that show was stellar, and I wish it was available for purchase. If you like rockin' blues though, this one fits the bill.
on April 6, 2009
I have been tracking down neo-soul/R&B recordings over the last decade and this one is near the top of the list. Don't let the cover fool you. This stands up well with the best of the classic 60s early 70s era soul/R&B. Great stuff!
on October 15, 2008
This boy can Jam! If you are into 60's soul music, you will love this!
on November 16, 2009
Not quite on par with James Hunters' PEOPLE GONNA TALK, but a new generation of blue-eyed soul and white Chicago-styled blues is rising fast. The Paperboy delivers, so far, so good, but you can feel there is a lot more to come !!!
on January 19, 2009
Great CD. The guy's really talented!! I love Soul music from the 60's and used to say they don't make music like that anymore-that is until I heard of this guy. He's fantastic. Hope he tours near us soon.
on November 11, 2015
I heard this guy on "Live at Darryl's House". He was great. This record is maybe 50-50. When he connects, it's great. When he misses...I'd like to get a better sample of his music.
on June 17, 2014
I bought this for my husband after seeing it on regis & Kelly show. he loves the oldies and I knew he would like this as well. I was correct.its a nice addition to his music
on May 14, 2013
Keeping soul alive in the new millennium. Clearly channeling the greats, James Brown, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, with a Motown sound that is all his own.