Check out Santa's new ride Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

• Rome
  • Customer reviews

Rome
Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 16, 2013
Listening to Rome, I felt like I was just eating a delicious appetizer and never made it to the main course, let alone dessert. The problem with the album is that, while the music is everything I hoped it would be - namely, a resurrection of Italian spaghetti western scores adapted to into pop songs - there really isn't that much music here. Clocking in at just over half an hour, it seems like half the album is made up of instrumental versions of the six songs that Norah Jones and Jack White appear on. Granted, the music here is great and all scores repeat musical motifs, yet I felt like I was waiting for a climax that never came. The ideas here are fleshed out, but there aren't all that many of them. It's a good album, but it's not a great album. For the main course, I'd recommend picking up the incredible Ennio Morricone Gold Edition - 50 Movie Themes Hits. For dessert, I highly recommend Mike Patton's Mondo Cane.
on May 30, 2011
This is a delicious collaboration of several stars under the same roof. It's very moving and actually romantic in a modern sense. Many influences from Italian cinema of the sixties and beyond to todays progressive sounds.

I don't know a thing about Danger Mouse but this is the second fantastic album of collaborations I have purchased with his stamp, the other being Sparklehorse and David lynch,"Dark Night of the Soul". Another great album. Jack White and Nora Jones are really very good here. Highly recommended.
on June 21, 2011
Danger Mouse and Luppi weave a sonic landscape that conjures up a film you've never scene, but you feel like you have seen it and loved it once you've listened to ROME a very times and let the aural beauty sink into your body.

Guest vocals back Jack White and Norah Jones add dimension and vibrancy to the overall fun; Norah Jones vocal phrasing on 'Black' is remarkable and gives the necessary gravity and potency to this sombre march.
on June 7, 2017
Do you like Jack White? Do you like Norah Jones? Do you like Danger Mouse? Do you like Spaghetti Westerns? Whether you like all of the above or just one; who will love this album! Fantastic album!
on July 14, 2011
As has been well documented, Brian Burton was a long-time fan of the soundtracks of the classic spaghetti westerns, and with Daniele Luppi has crafted a superb tribute to the music of Ennio Morricone and his contemporaries of that era. If you grew up watching Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef in the 60s as I did, or even if you just like the atmosphere of those oldies but goodies, you will absolutely love this CD.

The vocal tracks are all excellent, my favorite among them being Nora's sultry voice singing "Black," but the real highlights of this disc are in my humble opinion the instrumentals. "Roman Blue," "Her Hollow Ways" and "The Gambling Priest" as so superb at capturing the feel and ambience of those ageless soundtracks (without actually ripping off any particular one) that if I close my eyes I almost swear I can see a young Clint on horseback riding the Italian - er, Western - plains!
on July 18, 2011
After constantly listening to the Burton/Mercer Broken Bells album for the past year, now comes Burton's Rome collaboration which I'll be constantly hearing for the next year!! What a beautiful record! The combination of vocal tracks and the lush instrumentals is flawless. Luppi, Jones and White add greatly to the final product. Ennio Morricone has always been one of my favorite composers and this 'soundtrack' really captures the feel of his music. Finally a suggestion for Norah Jones. You might want to consider doing an entire album with Brian Burton producing and Burton/Luppi writing the songs! Its certainly an album I would buy!
on June 20, 2011
I can remember hearing talk about this album long before it came out. So when it was finely released I was caught a bit unaware. All I can say is it lives up to the hype. Rome is a beautiful album. The voices of Norah Jones and Jack White fit the music perfectly. I really do not think they could have chosen any more appropriate artists. As you're listening to the album it sounds just like a movie soundtrack which is exactly what Danger Mouse and Luppi where going for. Now all we need is someone to create 'Rome: the movie'. My favorite songs on the album are the three done by Norah and the three done by Jack. It's a beautiful album to add to your collection (perfect study/writing music).

Side note: I'm holding out for a Norah Jones/Jack White collaboration album now.
on January 28, 2017
Fantastic album! It's one of my fave albums and I listen to it weekly if not daily. The only problem I have is it's really short. I know it was a long time project and required a lot of work from various people, I just wish there was more. That's why it's only 4 stars.
on April 30, 2017
Great album for the open minded
on May 30, 2011
This is such an intense, amazing album. The more you listen to it the more you get addicted to the sound. The music transport yourself to imaginary places where everything is possible and can happen. It is not just an homage to Italian film soundtrack it is an homage to ingenuity. Everything is perfect: the rhythm, the interlude, the voices, the orchestra, every single instrument. It is a unique experience, a masterpiece. Although it is hard to pick one single piece, my favorite song is "Rose with a broken neck". Here Jack White gives the best of himself. There are no words to describe this album: LISTEN TO IT and HAPPY DREAMS!