Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 417 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 553 reviews
on May 4, 2010
Three individual discs are a sign of "class". I have seen collections where there would be one film on a side of a DVD and one or two films on the other side. Not with this collection of three classic films, two which were Academy Award nominees & winners for numerous categories. Lets start with the 1968 production motion picture of Shakespeare's "Romeo & Juliet". The film stars Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey who were excellent in this film and also seems to have been the pinnacle of their film careers. Leonard Whiting sang lead vocals in the mid 1970's for "The Alan Parsons Project" tune-"The Raven" & then did small bits for television in the U.S. Olivia Hussey has appeared in 41 films and has won an"Annie Award" for "Outstanding Individual Achievement" for her vocals on "Batman Beyond. The film was directed by Franco Zeffirelli. This film won the Academy Award for "Best Cinematography" & "Best Costume Design". It is rumored that Sir Lawrence Olivier spoke the films prologue & epilogue. I remember that at the time this film was the talk of teenage love and everyone saw it more than once while crying in the movie theaters. The film deviates from Shakespeare's play by switching acts, scenes & by creating dialogue such as the "Love Theme which was a number one instrumental hit by Henry Mancini. There were two title for the lyrical versions- "What Is A Youth" & "A Time For Us" which has been performed by "Luciano Pavarotti" and if you are a baby boomer you will remember the melody well. The film was originally not rated but eventually was rated "M" which is the equivalent to "PG" because of Olivia Hussey's nude scene. In the play Juliet is only 14 years old and Olivia Hussey acts the part extremely well. This is a motion picture Holly wood style & not a Shakespeare exact performance, but it is close, and was ahead of its time 42 years ago.
"Love Story" was all the rage in 1970 nominated for 7 "Academy Awards"-Best Picture, Director-Howard G. Minsky, Screenplay, Actor-Ryan Oneal, Actress-Ali MacGraw, Best supporting actor-Marley; while winning best music. The musical selections were incredible using Bach, Handel & Watts. Awesome film!
"Falling in Love" stars a youthful Robert DeNiro, Meryl Streep & Harvey Keitel. This love tale was directed in 1984 by Ulu Grosbard. There are no cops or baseball bats in the film, only two people who are "Falling In Love." I recomend this collection strongly if for only a night with "Your Love."-Review by Craig Barr.
This film adaptation of "Romeo and Juliet", William Shakespeare's play of star crossed lovers, is simply magnificent. I first saw it as a teenager, when it was released. Nearly fifty years later, I saw it again. I loved it then. I love it now. Time has not diminished the capacity of this film to enchant the viewer.

In viewing the film, one should keep in mind that this is a film adaptation of a play. Consequently, some of the dialogue is truncated to conform it to its medium. This in no way diminishes the story. Instead, it serves to move the story along seamlessly. Moreover, it is filmed in Verona, which is the actual setting for the story, and the settings are beautiful, as are the production values. One would think that one is actually in renaissance Italy. This is why this film won the 1969 Acadamy Awards for best Cinematography and Best Costume Design. The beautiful and haunting musical score also contributes to a sense of place.

The director, Franco Zeffirelli, who was nominated for Best Director, cast two, virtually unknown, age appropriate actors, Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey, in the roles of Romeo and Juliet. They bring to their respective roles a sense of unbridled, youthful passion that is moving. Both give extraordinary performances. The gorgeous and talented Michael York is excellent in the role of Tybalt, Juliet's cousin. John McEnery, likewise, excels in the role of Mercutio, Romeo's best friend. Pat Heywood is simply terrific in the role of Juliet's nurse, adding an element of comic levity. The rest of the cast is wonderful, giving seamless performances. The brief nudity is one scene is appropriate in the context in which it takes place.

This is simply a beautiful, timeless film adaptation of an iconic story of star-crossed lovers. Bravo!
on July 15, 2017
I first saw this movie w/ my father back in 1968, I was only 13 yrs. old. And fell in love with Romeo & Juliet, My dad would bring me to see this movie whenever I wanted. Even in Italy, where we are from. I went there with my grandparents, mom & dad. My dad recently passed away last week, & when I was looking up movies to watch, I came across this great, great, movie. I have been watching this over & over. I am now 61 yrs. old. But the movie has brought back such great, fond memories, I have been crying thru the whole movie. Sitting next to me are pictures of my dad, mom, & my really special grandparents, all of whom I miss terribly.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2016
I saw this in ~1984 when I was in high school. The movie has held up well. I just watched it with my family. I think it misses a lot of the hilarity and bawdy jokes of the early scenes of the play, and a few scenes are missing... (including the death of Paris!!)... but the Mercutio/Tybalt swordfight is unbeatable.

Good film.
on January 1, 2017
on July 18, 2014
Out of curiosity, I got a copy of this classic movie on DVD a few years ago. Although I liked the movie so much with the wonderful leads, I was quite disappointed at the poor visual quality of the DVD which did not give the movie justice. I imagined how it would have been if the movie was on blu-ray. Therefore, I eagerly waited for a blu-ray version to come out and when it did not so long ago, I made it a point to get a copy. The blu-ray version of Romeo and Juliet (1968) is breathtakingly beautiful. I think this movie deserves to be seen in it's entirety only on blu-ray since it captures and immortalizes the pristine beauty of the whole film. We get to appreciate the movie from start to finish in all it's visual splendor. Thank you to the manufacturers of this blu-ray version for giving this classic, tragic tale the definitive version it deserves.
on May 31, 2014
This timeless classic, probably based on an actual feud in Verona (see David Blixt's marvelous trilogy about it), is brought to life in the hands of the master, Zefferelli. I remember seeing it in a movie theatre way back when it first came out and feeling that he just might be the reincarnation of Shakespeare. I've watched it many times over the years, and I've never tired of it. Well, great writing, great directing. I do think both of those factors are needed because I really hated what the director did to the play in the updated version with Leonardo DiCaprio. I seem to recall that Leo was wet for half if it. I don't know. I only know that I was sitting there wishing I was watching this version. The play is about passion--of young love AND of senseless family feuding (not to be confused with the senseless tv show). Zefferelli and his actors bring that passion to the screen. There is not a weak link anywhere.

And if you teach, trust your students with this version. And as a companion assignment, have them rewrite the ending. Then, assign "Eve of St. Agnes," a very hot poem where the lovers do make a different choice. Bring in the print found in all the mall shops, "The Storm."

Shakespeare, whoever he or she was, is as wonderful today as ever. If you have never seen this, or haven't seen it lately, what are you waiting for?
on July 10, 2017
The BEST adaptation of the Shakespeare-attributed play ever. Franco Zeffirelli is a master director. Olivia Hussey is as radiant, beautiful and brilliant a 15 year old actress as ever was! Best of all time. Period.
on April 15, 2015
I think this is the best version of the Romeo and Juliet story that has been made.
The choice to use young actors in the main roles gives it an authenticity that nothing else matches.
Olivia Hussey is a portrait of beautiful, breathless innocence, just past the moment where a young woman leaves the last of childhood behind. Leonard Whiting is a stunningly handsome young man, who consistently delivers his lines as if they had sprung from his heart rather than a script's page. Together the two have a clear chemistry, showing the joyous strength of the soulmate's bond: forged to last a lifetime, and enduring unsundered as that lifetime is tragically cut short.
The action is well framed, winning an Academy Award for Cinematography. Costume Design won another Academy Award as well as a BAFTA for best costume design. There are multiple other awards associated with this film. The set decoration is stunning. The music is well chosen, especially the featured song "What is a Youth".
The colors have suffered a bit since 1968, and the audio is not gloriously clear, but otherwise there is little to criticize.
Memorable and true to the spirit of the original, this film is a Must-See for any Shakespeare fan.
on March 27, 2017
I saw this in the theater in 1968 and loved it. I am so happy to have the DVD to watch it at my leisure! I do appreciate the quality of the film.