BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel: Plain Text
Format: Paperback|Change

on November 30, 2011
I'm a high school special ed. teacher, and I've been teaching a brief "Romeo and Juliet" unit for the past 3 years in our freshman prescriptive English/Reading class. Even though the curriculum comes with one version of a (very short) graphic novel, it is in Shakespearean English and is still difficult for the students to understand.

I purchased 7 of these to use with my students (they've been sharing with a partner), and the first day we flew through 62 pages because they were just hooked. It's a really quick read, and the graphics help the students understand some of the still-remaining subtleties of the play/language (i.e. the nurse storming into the courtyard to talk with Romeo; her being made fun of). I can stop and point out these things in the illustrations, too (i.e. "Notice how her robes are flying up around her") . It makes later discussion and work by students a lot easier, as they can refer back to the scenes by referring to the illustrations.

This is the first year my students haven't moaned and groaned about R+J, and it hasn't taken tons of frontloading and review on the language alone. (In all honesty, Shakespearean language isn't my focus here: it's comprehension and an enjoyment of reading in all forms!)

To sum, a hefty investment if you're purchasing several copies, but definitely worth it if you want your student(s) to enjoy and understand the story without a battle or frustration.
VINE VOICEon December 6, 2010
The problem with teaching ESL is the lack of complex stories with readable text for ELLs (English language learners) or, really, any low level reader. The students can handle the content, but are limited by their inability to comprehend complex text and high level vocabulary. Shakespeare is daunting.

This graphic novel is great in many ways. First, the graphic format aids in comprehension because even the lowest level English student can follow along. Granted it's not perfect, but it's also not the brick wall that page after page filled with words they don't understand can be.

Secondly, it's written in modern English, not Shakespeare-English. Therefore, it makes comprehension much more attainable than regular English. So many teachers are still instructing with whole-class novels. This graphic novel, whether used alone or in tandem with the class novel, can help to make the reading much more understandable than ever before.

My only complaint is that the colors are quite dark and from a limited palette. If the idea is to make the time period real for students, it falls short. It's a bit heavy artistically. I'd highly recommend the book, however. It's a great teaching tool.
on March 20, 2016
This is a beautiful book but it is way too big. I was looking for something short and to the point with pictures, bu instead I got something that bored my students. This would be better had the students had their own copy, but they had to share because of the cost.
Enthusiast: DC Comicson December 20, 2013
I've reviewed this text before with the original Shakesperean language, and I just want to say that this is an excellent adaptation to modern English without violating the original's intent. This definitely may be a boost in motivation for students who may be struggling with the English of Shakespeare's days.
on May 31, 2016
Using this in my Special Education English class. I bought this as a preview. It really helped them access the content and themes, without having the difficulty of the language.
on December 6, 2013
Gorgeous! I recommend buying this along with the original text graphic novel and then mix and match. I also HIGHLY recommend the teaching resources made for these. The ready made lessons and materials are beautiful, simple and go seamlessly with many lessons you could teach from R&J.
on December 4, 2016
Beautiful book
on April 1, 2016
This is a great visual resource for my students.
on October 5, 2013
Our 9 year old granddaughter wanted to read Romeo and Juliet so I ordered this for her. It is okay. Seems a bit to "dark" and comic book to me, but she somewhat enjoyed it.
on May 18, 2011
I home school an average 15 year old freshman. He hates reading books. I ordered this Romeo and Juliet graphic novel in american English text, and he won't put it down! Need I say more? What could be better, you ask? He understands what he's read.