Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Romeo and Juliet (Arkangel Shakespeare - Fully Dramatized)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 3, 1999
I love the Arkangel series of Shakespeare on tape. As to this one, I may not be the best judge of sound but this production on tape never made me pull my earphones away and wince in pain as an over loud music interlude started. That is the primary reason I would like to collect all of the Arkangel productions. Romeo is well chosen for his voice, he sounds rash and young. I can well believe that he would kill himself. The Friar is the best vocal choice; he's exactly how I thought he should sound. Juliet sounds beautiful and the nurse is truly wonderful.
on September 15, 1998
I just purchaced the tape and I think it to be one of the best productions of Shakespeare I have ever heard. Joseph Fiennes is a simply delightful Romeo, remenicent of his older brother Ralph Fiennes yet much gentler and heartbreaking. I strongly recomend this to all lovers of the play and Shakespeare in general. It lifts the soul and breaks the heart, a feast for the mind and spirit!!!
on May 20, 2011
I am a ninth grade English teacher and all of my classes listened to this while we read along with Romeo and Juliet. It was very accurate and entertaining. It was definitely better than listening to ninth graders struggle through reading it aloud. The voices and sound effects are great and my students have really enjoyed it. It was definitely worth the money and I will be using this every time I teach R&J!
on April 10, 2007
This is a terrific recording. My son's teacher recommended he buy this to listen while he read the written words. It made Shakespeare so much more accessible.
on August 23, 2015
I use this with my 9th graders. Overall, it does the job very well; aids in comprehension tremendously.
It is helpfully broken down into Act and Scene. Transition music is good and matches moods.

Acting is good all around except... for... Romeo. His over-acting is just incredibly painful and cringe-y. It's Romeo, I get it, but I have to say it detracts from the overall quality.
on May 4, 2009
I received this after my freshman classes had already started reading "Romeo and Juliet". Once I popped the CD in and pressed play, my kids were sold on it. Many of them said that this version made it much easier to understand and the emotional display is absolutely wonderful--I got goosebumps! The clarity is great and the sound effects help students (especailly those who can't seem to read the stage directions) to know what's taking place.
All around . . .it's wonderful!

May 13, 2009
We recently finished "R & J" and I have to say that this production really was a huge aid. Students who missed a day would just have to listen to the CD and they would be caught up--no problem. While sitting in on one of our classes another freshman teacher (who has been teaching for 15+ years) said this was the best production he has ever heard and is getting his own set for next year.
Again, it's wonderful, and I love it!
on June 1, 2013
I am using this version of R and J, along with the text, in my classroom. It is excellent. First, every character has a different person reading a part. It holds the student's attention better. Also, it is more of a dramatic reading (like a radio play). It helps with understanding the text.

The only con I have found is that there are one or two deviations from the actual text. It is maybe two lines and a couple words so it is not drastic.
on April 13, 2013
As always this company produces a fine product and I continue to buy the series. Only one production flaw: there are no transition music clips or statements to announce the end or the beginning of the CDs.
on March 22, 2016
I love the way it is read, especially because it helps my students understand what is going on while we read it. What I don't like is it doesn't give me the time measurements of where each act or each scene begins. I would love it if there was a guide that came with it that says, "Act 1 Scene 1 is at 1 min, 30 seconds, and Act 4 scene 3 is 2 hours, 4 minutes, and 20 seconds, and so forth.
on July 7, 2010
I purchased the Arkangel recording of Romeo and Juliet to use in my ninth grade English classroom. My students enjoyed reading the text while listening to the production's talented actors, and they were able to pick up and comprehend some of the more subtle details of the plot. I would definitely recommend purchasing this CD set if you wish to read and enjoy Shakespeare's play or if you are a teacher considering its use in your classroom.