Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ronald Reagan: 100 Years: Official Centennial Edition from the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

Normally books like these are all the same. You have the obligatory photographs with narrative that maybe matches up with the pictures - NOT THIS TIME. This book just blew me away. I have read several biographies of the President Reagan, some great, and some not so great. Edmund Morris' effort failed for me when it entered the world of fantasy. In this book you have something different, just the feel of it alone was special. The quality of the paper that it was printed on was special also. The printing was exquisite, and the use of a Presidential blue color scheme was so fitting.

The photographs were not just a randomly selected collection. Time, energy, effort, and thought went into the selections. I was very impressed the way the photographs tied right into the narrative. Former Senator Howard Baker wrote an introduction and did a sterling job at it as well. At one point after the President's election, Baker tells the new President, I will be with you through the thin. The President inquires as to what about the thick of it? Baker replies, "Welcome to Washington, Mr. President."

The book is essentially divided into five sensible parts. They include:

Chapter I: The Lifesaver

Chapter II: The Leading Man

Chapter III: The Governor

Chapter IV: The President

Chapter V: The Legend

The chapter titles are self-explaining except for chapter I which deals with the future President as a young man. He is a lifeguard which is why the chapter is entitled "The Lifesaver". For Reagan the magic number was 77 which represented the number of lives he saved over several years.

One last thought if I may. If I had to choose one word to describe this book, it would be POIGNANT. You will be touched by this book. From the quotes to the pictures, it is simply emotionally engrossing.

I will end on a quote that is in the book:

I know in my heart that man is good, that what is right will always eventually triumph, and that there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

You will love Ronald Reagan: 100 years, and thank you for reading this review.

Richard C. Stoyeck
11 comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2011
This is a terrific tribute in recognition of the 100th birthday of President Reagan. This is a very easy to read book. I recommend it for anyone who is an admirer of President Reagan or for those who might be younger readers born after his term in office that would like to see highlights in words and pictures of his storied career instead of reading an entire long biography. It's not an in-depth book; it's not going to tell you anything new. But if you keep in mind this is intended as a tribute, you'll know what you're getting and it will be great reading.
on January 5, 2011
This is a wonderful book, it arrived today. If you're a Reagan fan, or you know someone who is- this is the perfect gift. I'm impressed with the level of detail, both in the text and photos. The book is well designed, an easy read- whether you're reading a chapter here and there, or spending several hours on it. It's a welcome addition to my collection of Reagan books.
on February 16, 2011
I am a big fan of Ronald Reagan, so when I received my book, I quickly looked through it and admired all the pictures. But when I finished, I was somewhat disappointed that there was no reference in the book about Reagan's Challenger disaster speech. I thought that was one of his most memorable speeches. Characteristic to Reagan's ability to connect with the people, he became the comforter-in-chief to a nation whose heart was broken. Other than that, I think the book serves as a fitting tribute to a remarkable man and one of our most effective Presidents. I highly recommend it.
on May 10, 2011
As soon as this book was available I knew I had to get it. Based on the reviews alone I anticipated it would be well worth it and I wasn't disappointed. Having read quite a few other books on President Reagan I didn't expect to learn anything new but still was impressed with not only the stories but the super pictures that helped tell the story.
The book is very professionally done as one would expect considering its origin from the Reagan Library; it's well laid out and the quality of paper and binding are superb.
Even though some of the stories were familiar, the different perspectives of those relating them lent a freshness that was very welcome.
As a great admirer of our 40th. president I was very pleased with this book and am happy to add it to my growing collection.
With the recent passing of President Reagan's 100th birthday, a slew of books on the great man hit the book shelves. Sadly, the quality of most of them was pretty marginal. This book is definitely different!

This book looks at Reagan's career and legacy in an open and very approachable manner. Also, the book is chockfull of excellent pictures, many of them sized to fit the page. I found this to be a great book on our 40th President - I liked the narrative and I liked the pictures, what more can I say? Get this book!
on March 29, 2014
Ronald Reagan 100 Years is a celebration of the life and legacy of Americas greatest president. The chairman of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation, Frederick J. Ryan, Jr. writes, "In celebrating the centennial of Ronald Reagan's birth, we remember an extraordinary man who touched our hearts. A man whose natural optimism gave us hope. Whose strong principles and devotion to the cause of freedom gave us confidence. Whose smooth, reassuring voice gave us courage. And whose unwavering belief in the American dream made us believe in ourselves."

Ronald Reagan 100 Years is a vivid reminder of the influence of the man who reminded us of the importance of a strong work ethic, the peace through strength, lower taxes, and the pursuit of the American dream. This beautiful edition is filled with memorable photographs that will stir the memories of readers and inspire them to return to the American ideal.
on August 26, 2013
Sure, it's what you'd expect from a book published by the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation - emphasis on the good points, gloss over the bad. But if you think as much of the Gipper as I do, you'll be glad you bought it. I bought the Kindle version but I wish I had opted for a printed book. The book is loaded with pictures and I'm sure they'd appear much better on paper than on the Kindle. Probably I'll break down and buy it again. It's not an unbiased biography and Reagan haters will find plenty of fault with it, but I took it for what it is and I loved it! Four stars only because I bought a Kindle version.
on April 4, 2014
As our country slides down the slippery slope to oblivion, with almost all the politicians busily looking out for themselves, we need another person like Reagan to get the country back on track . . . if indeed that is still possible.
on December 4, 2012
This is just vintage Reagan. If you love and admire the man, you will truly enjoy the stories, the wit, and the wisdom that is so absent from the current regime in Washington. The warmth of such a great leader really comes through. Humility in leadership and void of the arrogance that we see so prevalent in today's times.