Spring Deals Automotive Amazon First Reads New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on November 15, 2010
I was all excited about this food dehydrator. It's clear so you can see each row and all your jerky shrinking and cooking. You have to rotate the trays otherwise it won't cook evenly. It's a little annoying, but it's part of the product. What wasn't supposed to happen is this; the plastic trays started melting. It says that they're dishwasher safe, but after putting them through ours, they either started to warp or the grates would open up. When it was on, it warmed up the entire house. Eventually, we had to throw it away. We bought a better one now and I can't believe we started with this crappy model. Now we have the nesco 700 watt one and you don't have to rotate or anything.
on May 8, 2012
I bought mine at a retail shop on sale on a whim. It also made popping sounds while in operation the first or second time, and then I noticed that the trays cracked, but I thought it was "just me" or user error. However, I did follow the instructions, I think it's just a crappy product. I didn't keep my receipt because I waited a long time (months) to use it after buying and couldn't return it. I do not over pack, I rotate, etc etc. It just kinda sucks, even though the foods did dry, I'm skeptical of the plastic (though nothing smelled like hot plastic I hope I didn't eat something bad).

Fastforward - I forgot about the issues, then used it again for the first time in about a year yesterday. It made a fist sized hole in one of the trays and was only on a couple hours. Good grief! I was making kale chips, one of the thinnest things you can even put in there! A leaf!!!!
on December 6, 2010
I have used this dehydrator quite a bit now. I once left it operating for 28 hours. Never did I have a problem with the trays melting!!

I have not done a lot of research but the best dehydrator would have top and bottom fans for drying so that you don't have to move trays around. Although moving trays around is not a big deal; you just do it when you feel like it.

Good value for the money.
on September 8, 2014
When I got this food dehydrator I was kind of excited to start...Well tomatoes are in high gear and I decided to try it out...First time around I let it go like instructions say...24 hours and rotate shelves....Well after 24 hours the tomatoes had turned into tomato chips! So I thought well I should have cut tomatoes a little thicker and tried it again, I also thought I could raise the drying veggies up a little so I did not put anything on the bottom plastic rack....12 hours later the bottom rack had melted, I threw all away....A few weeks later I loaded the 4 trays left and only left power on for a couple of hours at a time and every time I rotated shelves there would be uneven drying with some tomatoes turning into burnt little chips again and others partially drying...and I found the bottom tray had melted away,....now down to 3 plastic trays....What junk!!
on November 15, 2011
I've had this dehydrator for several months now. I've used it for days straight at a stretch, and the trays haven't even come close to melting. I can't tell any physical degradation of the components at all. I can't clean them in the dishwasher, since the trays are too tall to allow the sprayer arms to rotate.

I do however wish that the instructions that came with it were better. The lid of this contraption has windows that slide open/closed so you can change how much air is vented out of the top. But how am I supposed to know how to set those vents? The manual that comes with it doesn't mention a word of what to do with the vents. I guess we're just supposed to do trial-and-error until we figure it out? I don't think so, Ronco. Better improve your documentation there. I always run mine with the vents fully open. It works. No fires yet.
on November 29, 2011
I didn't realize when I purchased this that there was no fan (I probably should have researched more!). Compared to dehydrators I have used previously this was a very inferior product. It is quite slow and not easy to clean.
on October 2, 2012
After reading the reviews here I was compelled to write a review. I bought this dehydrator to make homemade chicken jerky for my dog since most of the chicken jerky dog treats are a product of China.

I use this appliance about every 2 months and I knew what I was getting into when I bought the device: there is no fan and the body and trays are plastic. For best results you must rotate the trays. The chicken jerky takes a full 24-36 hours with rotating the trays and flipping the strips (I slice the strips 1/4 inch thick). I have NEVER melted any part of the appliance and I do not recall any plastic or electric odor. It only smells like drying meat (which is gross because I do not eat meat).

To date I have only hand washed the trays and have never put the trays in the dishwasher, which makes me wonder if the heated dry cycle from the dishwasher affects the plastic trays. This time I plan to wash the trays in the dishwasher and take them out to air dry.

SO - my review is: This dehydrator is a highly functional item considering my needs and the price. I recommend this appliance as long as you are not looking for the features you find in a $300+ dehydrator.
33 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 11, 2018
This cheaply made dehydrator is still working after five or so years.
The trays could be better quality, but it is still working.
on July 6, 2016
I used this to dehydrate meat. The trays started to fall apart after the first couple of uses, but were still functional. Yesterday, after maybe a dozen total uses, half the trays melted while making a new batch.

This machine is simple and does a fine job dehydrating food, but the extremely poor quality of the trays is unforgivable. If you are in the market for a deyhdrator, best avoid this model.

on October 8, 2015
Bought the deydrator to replace last one I had for over 10 years. The racks melted. Quality of this product is now poor. Used to be a quality product. Had to throw out 3 pds. of jerky as got contaminated with plastic.