Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on February 13, 2018
If your favorite Procol Harum album is " Broken Barracades ," if you preferred​ Jimi playing the blues ( or even Savoy Brown to Jimi ... Is this still blasphemy ? ) this may be for you. I bought the first two solo R.T.s when they came out. But I was always more blues oriented in the sixties and even more so in my sixties. Play Otis Rush not a Led Zeppelin cover if you want to make me happy. I cannot say that if you think my tastes are skewed that you won't enjoy this album, it's pretty damn good, I can only say this does it for me. Same tone even if the attack isn't as vicious. Bluesy reworking of"Hound Dog" and even the well worn bass line of "Born Under a Bad Sign" sounds like it was written for a Trower song for "Twice Removed ... Or Sighs " A decent selection of standards with some good originals.
on February 20, 2013
If you are fan of Robin Trower here is yet another MUST have release from a true guitar master! Eleven remakes, and by remakes I mean that RT truly has made these his own. These are not the old standards, nothing wrong with the originals or many of the later versions of them, but RT has here given an exceptional rendering of them that surpasses anything previously released IMO. Clean and clear and downright dirty when needed, each one a joy to the ears, and the tone... rich and full and lucious.

The samples here do not do this justice, they are just a tiny taste. Track listing;

Hound Dog
Save Your Love
Born Under a Bad Sign
Sheltered Moon
See My Life

You truly must hear to believe tracks like "The Thrill Is Gone", "That'sAlright Mama", "Born Under a Bad Sign", and "Little Red Rooster". Classic RT blues guitar. All songs are chock full of RT signature licks and sounds. And, do you want wah? You get wah, Robin Trower style, in both "Sheltered Moon" and "SeeMy Life"!

This a full course of RT cuisine, 5 Star start to finsh!
on March 14, 2013
With Roots and Branches, Robin Trower has done a very difficult thing: in recording an album of mostly covers, he has managed, at least to my ears, to make every cover song both excitingly different and better than the originals. Here is a man whose music is rooted in the blues who has finally gotten around to making the kind of album that shows his listeners where he is coming from.
I like every song on the album a lot, not a dog in the bunch. But my favorites are a superior take on The Thrill is Gone, Little Red Rooster, I Believe To My Soul, That's Alright Mama, Born Under A Bad Sign, and See My Life.
The CD comes attractively packaged with only song titles and and sparse liner notes to guide you. But man, what a recording. Roots and Branches is simply stupendous!
33 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 26, 2013
Another triumph for this sadly underrated legend. If all you know of Robin Trower is Bridge of Sighs, you're missing out on alot of fantastic music. Trower takes some older classic music and breathes new life into it. He then adds in some new music of his own and makes it flow seamlessly. The trademark guitar sound is there, and combined with his growing confidence in his own vocals we're seeing an artist at the top of his powers 40 plus years on in his career. Suffice it to say, if you are, at all, a fan of the guitar, pick up this album.
22 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 21, 2013
I have been following Robin Trower, since about 1973. I saw him live in 1974, kick show and again in 1975 at Capitol Center in Washington DC. It did not take long for me to learn , this guy, is as good as, I believe, really better than Hendrix or Clapton. Why? he has a style all his own and is one of the few in the entire world, that can make a Fender do "whatever" he wants it to do. He does not have any bad albums. Now, about this album, like Carlos Santana remake of guitar singles classics, it is good. Not Robin's best though, but you must factor in his age. He does not have the energy or power of his one astonishing youthful performances. The music is good and the songs are classic, I would have picked some better guitar songs, more recent from the 60's and 70's than what he chose. Here, he focus on blues and older rocker songs and does a fine, if not better job, than the original performers. I'm glad I bought it, but felt other reviewer ratinigs were hyped up a bit, perhaps they don't own some of his more passionate music?
on October 27, 2014
I thought that this was an excellent album - Robin is an excellent musician.
The title 'Roots and Branches' - of Rock & Roll (my words) - is an ambitious and challenging
title - and I give full credit to Robin that he showed respect for the Roots and Branches of Rock & Roll.

By including including Elvis Presley's 'That's Alright Mama' - which is considered by many to be one of the most important 'Moments' in Rock & Roll History, and one of the Root songs of Rock & Roll. And by including Elvis Presley's 'Hound Dog' - Robin acknowledged one of the first major Rock & Roll 'Major Hit' songs - that helped to explode Rock and Roll as a major force in music.

Robin also selected some great songs as the 'Branches' - of Rock & Roll - such as 'The Thrill is Gone' and Born under a Bad Sign' - as well as many other terrific songs.
on February 26, 2013
Different from any previous Trower releases. Blues, the way RT sees the Blues with his own guitar and his own singing. Most of the tracks are simply rock, some are a blend; bottom line it is a Robin Trower's signature on every song. No computers and no technology. classic Rock and blues album. 4 stars for the new fans. 5 for me, similar to most of his previous releases, and I own them ALL ))). very Recommended
on November 15, 2013
I have had this cd on continuous loop in my truck for 3 weeks now. Robin shows what a true master he is, his playing is right on never over played or confusing. A real tribute to the mature master he has become. This quickly became one of my all time favorites.
on March 28, 2013
After listening to Roots And Branches I determined that after all these years, Robin Trower is still growing and florishing. Just when you think someone of his talent as peaked, along comes something like this. Trower has made "Hound Dog" and "The Thrill Has Gone" his own. His original material is as good as the classics on this album. Roots And Branches is definately a must have to any Blues collection.
on April 20, 2013
I just got to see Robin not long ago and it had been close to thirty years since i've seen him live before and the first time he had Jack Bruce from Cream playing with him and i still think that may of been the best show i've ever seen! perfect venue the acustics were perfect and his band was so tight like they had been playing forever, so when i saw him i thought oh god how he's aged like we all, and that first time i saw him every thing was perfect ! but i figured oh well we got a good deal on the tickets so what the hell but after a few songs i closed my eyes and i couldn't tell all the years had gone by he played as well as ever ! and his new CD is straight kick butt blues,something more guys should do, play some covers i mean, play tribute to the people that inspired them in the first place! but with this CD i was very happy! Big-B.