Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 685 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 804 reviews
on February 5, 2014
I rated this movie a four because it had some major issues in the quality of the dvd. There was some timing issues with the dvd where it would speed up in sections. Also at the end of the movie there was commentary with no sound which minimized the picture on screen and also the volume. Would have liked to see the ending with no interruptions. This movie is a must see for everyone and we must preserve our American History even if it was not one of our finest moments in time. I recommend this movie to everyone who wants to revisit a piece of American History and to get an understanding of what life was like then for people as compared to what life is like for people today. Love Love Love this movie just wish there were not as many quality issues with the dvd.
on February 4, 2013
Having watched one DVD only, I'm disappointed - the DVD is substantard, it keeps jumping back to the start of each chapter and freeze framing. The disappointing thing about purchasing on Amazon is if you don't watch things immediately and rush through your purchase - you have no recourse. I purchased the entire series of 'When the Boat Comes in" (along with many other things) by the time I went to watch the last DVD of the last series it broke before I got it out of the box. When I reported it, it was brushed aside as it was considered 'too late'. To this day I've never been able to see the last DVD of the last series. If I don't rush to watch the entire set of DVDs for Roots do I risk the same fate, i.e. a disappointment!
I have purchased books and DVD's on Amazon but am disappointed with this seires and more importantly disappointed that I stil can't see the last few episodes of 'When the Boat comes in'.
Would appreciate your feedback as I would be prepared to send the 'substandard cracked DVD for when the boat comes in' back but am not prepared to rush through the entire series of 'Roots' just to give you feedback on the rest of the disks.

Best regards................../Pauline Askin, Sydney Australia
on March 17, 2017
I saw this at home and in school when I was in the 3rd grade. Something that should be seen at least once. I'm very proud of this movie as well as my heritage and all the people who came long before I ever did.
on April 21, 2017
I prefer this version over the remake, I am a big fan of LeVar Burton and this series holds up. There are elements that make you wonder such as the cameo of OJ Simpson, not because he is in the movie, just that the scene is kind of pointless.
This series is not 'Family Fun, Uplifting" but it is a good ground to start understanding what slavery was like. I am glad it is in my collection.
on June 9, 2014
This was truly an interesting mini series. I did enjoy watching all the A-list actors (in the 70's) involved with the movie. This movie was stressful at times to watch, but necessary to understand how one man's enslavement was verbally told throughout the generations and later came to reality when Alex Haley wrote "Roots". Everyone should see this mini series, even in today's culture where there are so many racial slurs being spoken as if it doesn't give pain to someone and their culture. It may help people understand how painful, dismissed, and intrusive slavery is. I couldn't wait to see the next disc until all 7 disc were played. This story pulled me in and and when it was over I wanted to see more of Alex Haley's family in the 80's, 90's etc. Please watch this mini series, look past the time generated 70's filming, and "See" how exceptional this mini series is.
on April 6, 2017
Brought it so the Grand Kiddies could enjoy it as well the rest of the Family. It still has an impact.
ONE OF THE GREATEST STORIES EVER TOLD , GREAT FOR EDUCATION FOR ALL YOUNGER BOYS AND GIRLS TO LEARN WHY
I AM A VIETNAM VETERAN FOUGHT THERE 1963 TO 1966 TODAY IF YOU ASK AND KID UNDER 40, WHY ARE THEY SAYING SORRY TO THE VETERANS OF THIS WAR ?.. No ONE WILL HAVE A ANSWER,( SO SAD )
ROOTS IS ANOTHER STORY THAT TEACHING THE YOUNG FOR THE LASY 6 DECADES ( 60 YEARS ) THEY BELIEVE ALL BAD THINGS THAT WAS DONE TO THE BLACKS WAS 200 YEAR AGO .( SURPRISE ) ITS STILL GOING ON IN THE YEAR 2016
on April 18, 2017
Great Xmas Gift - for a nephew that had never seen the original
on October 9, 2016
Upon trying to view disc 1 it continually replays at the end of every chapter. Very frustrating. I have to rewind then andvance to the next chapter. It will not advance on its own. I hope all the discs are not like this.
on February 13, 2017