Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on April 15, 2017
The scooter works great and folds up to go to the doctor. I wondered why it had that gap in the saddle/seat. The new leg braces have large pumps on the front that need a place to “fit” when you’re on the seat. Never try to "carry" something if it does not fit in the basket. Also, I found the brake line sometimes caught on kitchen cabinets as I rolled by (annoying), so we secured it to the basket with a twist tie. Do NOT be tempted to coast downhill on the handicap ramps and use the brake, you’ll fly over the top. The brake should be used for holding the scooter steady as you get on/off.

There was so much I didn’t know about being immobile - 4 weeks since major foot surgery, and I’m still 100% reliant on the scooter, so I’d like to share what I’ve learned about this process, as my friend was nice enough to do the same for me:

BEFORE your surgery-
Get the scooter and ride it for several partial days BEFORE surgery. Are you able to use it to roll into the bathroom? Is there room to turn it around to get out of the bathroom? This took a little practice. If you cannot get in and out of the bathroom due to space, will you use crutches or walker? PRACTICE, women in particular sometimes do not have a lot of upper body strength, crutches/walkers can be tricky. Are toiletries (and refills) within reach? Is your toilet high enough if you are only on one foot and lowering yourself? Will you be able to get your foot/leg wet in the bath? If not, how are you keeping it dry? Will you need a seat in the shower and a hand-held shower attachment? (I use the cheap one we bought for the dogs, for shower seat, one with a back works better). PRACTICE getting in/out of the shower/tub.

Can you get in and out of your bed easily? While in bed, will your recovering limb be out of range of a spouse rolling over it or a pet jumping on it? If you can’t sleep because you’re uncomfortable, is there a book/TV within reach to occupy you? If you have floors, plan your pathways and remove rugs, dog placemats, etc. The scooter rolls over carpets, but it’s definitely more work. Can you maneuver the exterior doors to let the dogs out or accept a delivery? Can you make a circuit around the interior of your kitchen/bedroom, etc, without worrying about backing out of spaces?
Will constantly getting up on one leg to mount the scooter from a sitting position begin to irritate the knee on your “good” leg? Have a lightweight knee brace available when you come home from surgery.

Day Before Surgery-

Pack your scooter basket. What will you need to carry in the basket after surgery? Right now, mine has bifocals, reading glasses, a Tervis water glass in a plastic vase so it doesn’t fall over and dribble, a breakfast bar, hair clip, dog snacks for bribes, Kindle, iPad, phone, pain reliever. Do NOT try to “carry” something if it does not fit in the basket. Do you need to be able to reach something in a lower cabinet like a trash bin? Can you still reach it with the scooter in the way?

Arrange your “lounging” spaces - Can you reach your favorite refreshments in the fridge? Ice packs for your foot/leg? What about quick snacks when there’s no one there to help you? Do you have spare pillows on your bed, couch, or favorite recliner in order to keep your foot above your heart? Are chargers for phone/iPad and TV within reach? A spare blanket/fan if you’re sensitive to temperature changes? Are the shower toiletries within reach and the shower chair in place? Is there any music or Audible book you might want to download?

If you do all of the above, you should be in good shape for your “down time”!

Other products I found useful for recovery:
NOVA Medical Products Toilet Safety Rails (Sold by: Nova Medical Products)
Padded Bath Safety Seat with Backrest (Sold by: CompressionStockings+)
Flexi Freeze Refreezable Ice Sheets 3 pack (sold by Amazon)
on April 12, 2016
I had major foot surgery that required me to be off of one foot for 12 weeks during a particularly icy winter. While I could get around on crutches just fine indoors, trying to navigate an icy sidewalk on crutches was a recipe for disaster. A few weeks after my surgery, I finally broke down and ordered this. I wish I had ordered it sooner.

It was extremely easy to assemble (even for a guy on pain medication with only one good leg). Within ten minutes of opening the box, I was zooming around my living room floor. After getting this, the only time I used crutches was to go up/down stairs or when I was visiting a friend's home that was too small/tight inside to have room to maneuver the scooter.

Until I had this, I did not realize how much having to rely on crutches was limiting my ability to get out of the house. Once I had the scooter, going to the mall with my wife to get some holiday shopping done was not only possible but enjoyable. When my wife was taking a particularly long time in one area of the mall, I was able to turn around and sit on the knee pad and then place my injured foot across the knee of my good leg to keep it elevated--so this was both a scooter and a seat when I needed one.

When I was off pain medication and cleared to drive, I threw this in the back of my car and took it everywhere I went. It is light enough that I was able to easily put it in the trunk while hopping on one leg. When I returned to work, I was zooming up and down the halls of my office on this. The basket on the front made it easy to carry around my ice pack and whatever file materials I was working on. When I was seated at my desk, or when my wife and I went out to dinner, I used the knee pad on the scooter as a cushion to prop my leg up on to keep my foot elevated.

The bottom line is that this scooter made my life a lot easier and much more enjoyable during what was already a painful drawn out recovery. I would note that I am a fairly big guy at a bit above 250 lbs. I found the scooter extremely sturdy and comfortable and imagine it would safely carry someone well in excess of my weight. The knee cushion was comfortable for me, though I would take my knee off of it and stretch my leg out every 5-10 minutes to keep my lower leg from tingling due to the pressure on my knee/shin.

When I was done with this, I sold it locally for well over half of what I paid for it, though I would have considered it money well spent even if I had not gotten anything for selling it.
review image
on July 18, 2012
I did lots of research for a knee scooter after breaking my heel and being sentenced to 3 months in a hard cast and settled on the best reviewed Roscoe Knee Scooter. Everyone made fun of me when I told them they ordered this, but once they saw how happy it made me they couldn't wait to take a spin on it themselves. I was literaly OVERJOYED to the point of tears when I first tried it out after 2 weeks struggling with crutches.

Here's a quick breakdown of my pros & cons. None of the cons outweigh all the amazing pros or are worth dropping a star, just want to share some of the minor annoyances that exist.

PROS
- Very sturdy & high quality - wheels, handlebars, kneeler, body
- Kneeler is squishy & comfy, no need for add'l padding
- Rolls very easily. You barely have to push yourself and you'll roll for awhile
- Goes over bumps easier than other versions
- Comes with a wire basket that has a handle, easily detaches and can be rinsed off
- Good for short or tall users with alot of adjustment space for kneeler and handlebar
- Affordable, a much better option that the crazy prices they charge to rent one
- Folds to fit in a larger backseat or in any trunk
- Can sit on it for easier access to fridge, low cabinets, dryer, etc.
- Aetna HMO insurance reimbursed me for half with Rx & receipt.
- LESS TIME WITH YOUR CRUTCHES!!

CONS
- Brake is so tight that I stop by dragging my foot to avoid the possibility of flipping over the handlebars. Go to you local bike shop to adjust.
- Tough to assemble, needed WD40 and a strong man. May be due to sitting in a delivery truck on a 100+ degree day.
- Back wheel often catches my heel when going forward, front wheel catches my toe while backing up. Just wear shoes & be careful.
- Moderate turning radius, but necessary to avoid being unstable. Be ready for 6 point turns.
- No brake for when you are not on the scooter and on an incline. I learned my kitchen is not level... or has a handicap ghost.
- Stairs are obviously a challenge

One improvement I recognize for ALL knee scooters is a place to bring your crutches with you too. I haven't logistically figured out how this would work without being cumbersome though. The scooter is almost useless if you're out and need to get up any steps. You'll always need someone to help you.
88 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 30, 2017
Love! After hobbling around for two days with crutches and a walker, this has been my salvation!
Biggest cons:
The image makes it seem as though the back wheels function independently, and can give more turning radius. They do not. They only go in one direction, and face the same direction as the knee padding.

Con 2: the split knee pad is actually annoying if you add a cover, since you can't see where your knee is landing. I've hit the hole a few times.

Con 3: the brake wire is quite obnoxiously long, and has a tendency to get caught.

Con 4: turning radius is a bit wide. I have a smaller house, which means overshooting and backing in sometimes.

But! I'm still incredibly grateful I chose this model!! It was a breeze for my mom and best friend to assemble, and once they did, I was buzzing around on it in less than 10 minutes after getting acclimated!!

This pros are definitely there too!!
Pro 1: the basket! The basket is included on this model, and you'll be grateful for it! If you're like me and you've been unable to walk, you'll love having the "hands" the basket gives you! I can carry the pill box (weekly one), my rtic drink, phone, ice bag, hairbrush, cat toys, and more!

Pro 2: stability... you'll notice you don't glide over carpet transitions but this scooter is so solid you don't feel like you'll fall off either. It's also so sturdy you feel safe standing to brush your teeth and wash your hands.

Pro 3: the brake- the brake is very secure and affective. Again, you don't feel like you'll be thrown, but it stops you quickly!

Pro 4: adjustable!! I love that, being so tall, this is so adjustable! I'm a tall woman, and this scooter can easily accommodate me. That's really nice. Crutches were so difficult because they're not accommodating to someone in between the inch heights.

This scooter is not the smoothest if you are barefoot (I've rolled over my own foot a ton) but it's not made for that. It doesn't handle transitions well (wood floor lips, etc.) but it's so light that you can just lift it easily and pop it over!
The tires do get hooked on small stuff, so if your floor is littered with laundry and small toys, you will not glide over them.... but if you can clear your floors, this is a dream! I have a cat and a dog that love to leave their toys in my way but once I move them, I'm off like a rocket!

I also have oriental rugs, and I have to avoid the edges because rather than going over them, the tires push the edges up. I think it would need heavier duty tires to get up and over the rugs. No fault to the scooter, it's just too light.

My insurance wasn't accepted by the local medical supply store for a rental, and they wanted $200 deposit and $70 a month for rental. I'm off my foot for minimum 6 weeks for recovery from a full ankle repair. It just made more sense to get the scooter on Amazon since I may have more foot surgeries in the future. The quality of this one was better than the one they were renting!

My only disappointment was the photo seeming like the back tires could moved independently of the front. That made a big difference in my choice and I'm very disappointed.
on March 17, 2017
I was skeptical and read so many reviews on so many of these before I decided on this one. I purchased this one because it had a basket, had good reviews, looked sturdy and nice, and was one of the few available on prime. It met my expectations in all those areas. I don't know how I would have lived without the basket, had a friend advise I get one with a basket and they were right. I don't have a single bad thing to say about this knee scooter, it is very sturdy and was easy to put together. The only think I would caution users is that when you are outdoors you need to be cautious to stay slow as one little pebble could send you flying if you are going too fast. Its not the lightest thing either, I was able to get it in and out of my van side door hobbling on one foot but it wasn't easy. Indoors you can get moving quickly for sure and it is very smooth riding. I'm 5'5" and lowered the seat completely which was perfect for me.
on March 18, 2017
Had this delivered so ready to use day I came home from hospital. Severe ankle break with dislocation, surgery, heavy splint. This is such a blessing as I have a hard time using crutches or walker, wear me out!! This has provided me with easy mobility for 2 months so far of no weight bearing. Basket is a must to transfer items with you, split in seat is great for keeping splint or braced boot elevated while standing at counter/sink without slipping. Steers easily but lightweight enough to allow lifting front sideways a bit to accommodate any sharp turns safely. Fine for use on carpeting, very easily on floors. I have even used to sit on seat sideways when needed to pause to do something. This scooter has all features I wanted, but gave 4 stars only because the brake does not lock for when I am standing at counter and need to rest lower leg on scooter seat behind me, or in front of me while sitting on chair. My husband gave me a small squeeze clamp to use to hold brake handle up in locked position. Great quality for the price, 3 times this price at local pharmacy! Would definitely recommend this purchase.
on April 19, 2015
UPDATE: Roscoe is a decent device but it does have some shortcomings, making it a less than optimal choice, after 10 weeks of ownership, it has lost two stars.

1. The wheels are hard and when walking with the scooter on rough pavement or on concrete with expansion joints, the handle bars get pulled out of your hands and you can veer wildly to either side. When this happens, you can fall as the scooter launches you over the handlebars. This has happened to me once and has made me wary of using the scooter on the older sidewalks in my town.
2. The steering mechanism is basic and does not have any engineering to prevent the issue of the handlebars being turned violently by rough surfaces. The front axle on this scooter is a rigid beam and the entire assembly rotates to turn, decreasing the track width of the scooter and reducing the stability.
3. The brake is poorly designed and poorly constructed. The external band design has two major flaws. First, the band can only get tight on the drum in one direction, which is with forward movement of the scooter. When the scooter is pushed backward, the design of the brake assembly causes the band to loosen, rendering the brake useless when you are going up hill. Second is the fit of the band into the brake assembly. When traveling down long slopes, the brake band can, and will, come off of the drum, leaving you with no brakes at all. This requires stopping and moving the band back into the housing around the drum by hand or with a tool to pry it back in place. This is not a great design. A disc or a caliper that grips directly to the wheel would be more effective and a safer alternative.
4. Creaky and sloppy handlebars are a problem on this scooter. After a few weeks of use, the handlebar began squeaking when turned. No amount of tightening of the attachment bolt would stop the squeaking. I removed my handlebar and applied a tiny bit of petroleum jelly inside the tube and that solved the squeaky, creaky noises. As for the sloppiness, this scooter uses a hinged handlebar mount to allow folding up the scooter The fastener that makes the hinge of the mount is too small and allows the handlebars to move forward and back as they move around on the sloppy hinge fastener.
5. Knee pad bolts are too long and are painful. The knee pads each have two socket head screws that attach the knee pad to the mount. The screws are approximately one inch long. The wooden base of the knee pads is approximately 1/2” thick. When the original screws are installed, the screws penetrate the foam padding by 1/2” and your knee will contact them, at some point. My solution was to remove the screws and cut them in half. It was funny to see that blue thread locker had been put on the screws but was only on the end of the screw where the screws weren’t even in the threads in the knee pad.
I received this knee scooter after breaking my foot. I was advised that I could not bear weight with my foot until surgery and then 6 to 8 weeks after surgery. I attempted to use crutches but that was not a safe option for me. I went onto the web and Amazon in search of a knee scooter that would fit my needs. The Roscoe is ideal. It has given me mobility again and is a great device. It arrived in a large box with only minor assembly required. The handle bar had to be attached and the knee pad had to be moved from the bottom to the top. Once assembled and set to my height, I was off and scooting.

There are a couple of areas where this product could be improved: 1. The fitment of the basket on the handlebar is tight and requires a bit of force the first time to get the basket to seat properly. 2. The brake works great for normal braking and parking braking when you are going forward but does little when the scooter is moving backwards. This is a risk if you have to travel up an incline on a regular basis or for a long distance. I have adjusted the brake band and the cable to increase the braking force and it is much better. There is still a noticeable difference in the brake's performance frontward versus backward. 3. The handlebars were out of alignment when the scooter arrived. It required a 6mm hex key to loosen the handle bar bracket and adjust the angle, no big deal.

The flat black color is great, understated and classy. The wheels roll smoothly and glide over smooth flooring. They perform okay on thick carpet and movement is not hindered. The scooter is a bit heavy to lift and load into your car or to carry up steps but is built very sturdy.

I highly recommend a knee scooter to anyone dealing with a foot or ankle injury that is non-weight bearing, just be mindful of the design of the unit you purchase.
on November 21, 2016
After my wife had surgery on her right foot, she had to keep the weight off it for about 5 weeks. She had tried crutches before when she had a minor injury to her other foot and they were uncomfortable for her to use. A scooter was the best solution for her. At first we rented a scooter at our pharmacy, it was costing $20.00 a week which is not a great amount, but I thought maybe buying one would be a better option. I looked at medical supply stores and some were as high as $500. Next I looked at E-bay where they were more economically priced, but I needed one right away and could not wait for an auction to end.
As usual, Amazon had this one which fit our needs, it was compact, priced well and was shipped quickly as I had signed up for Prime on a trial basis.
These scooters are a big help allowing the injured to move around at home and if you go somewhere, to be able to get around a whole lot easier than on crutches. This Roscoe Knee Scooter has a split pad that can be positioned to accommodate a person with an injury to either foot. It has a brake which helps when on an incline and it can be locked like an emergency brake on a car. Turning is somewhat limited by stops, apparently to help keep a person from turning the scooter over if steered too sharply. The wheels are big enough to use the scooter outside on pavement or concrete but not so good on grass or soft earth, it works fine on carpet or smooth floors and the wheels are not supposed to mar hardwood or make marks on floors, The handlebar assy. has a latch that allows folding when transporting the scooter in your car trunk or back seat. When ready to use again the handlebars hinge back up and lock with a cross bolt like pin and a locking lever. This arrangement is secure and works fine, it also is adjustable.
Our house is fairly small, but my wife was able to use this scooter quite well, although it was somewhat difficult to turn some times and she had to lift up on the rear wheels to make it go where needed. Also, she had to back out of certain areas with it, or I would turn it around for her. Even though it was somewhat difficult to use at times, this scooter was a great help for her to get around without much assistance. I would help her in a store or at the hospital or doctor's office by pushing on her back while she held the other foot up off the floor, it takes little effort to move the scooter and the wheels roll easily on roller bearings.
All said, this scooter paid for itself just for the convenience of being able to move around with much less effort and trouble compared to crutches. We'll keep this scooter in case she needs it again or if someone in the family needs to use it, hopefully not me. Get one if you need it, you won't regret the purchase.
on September 21, 2014
I used this item for a month while totally non-weightbearing on one leg after ankle reconstruction. It got the job done. Crutches were a total drag and left me with no hands free, and my standing leg was exhausted all the time. With this scooter, I could shift my weight onto the knee of the disabled leg AND have both hands free to cook, tidy up, etc. The basket was a huge help also. It enabled me to make quick stops for a few groceries, and to carry various items at home from room to room or to and from the car. Other nice features included the steering (worked great, even in smaller spaces) and the fact that the hand brake stopped the *rear* wheels, so the inclination to fly over the handlebar was almost nonexistent. I did find myself making the dreaded 8-point turn many, many times (in spaces like the kitchen), but I didn't go back to crutches to avoid those. The only drawbacks were the wheels and the knee pad. I found that I had to use EXTREME care when traversing uneven surfaces, such as cracked pavement, or the transitions from parking lot to building ramp. I almost tipped this thing over more than once. Since my recovery time was anticipated to be so brief, I just couldn't justify spending twice as much on a scooter to get nubby wheels. About the knee pad: It was comfortable when used for very short spans of time, but when used all day as I frequently had to do, my knee became very sore and actually bruised. I would recommend strapping on a piece of memory foam or other type of dense cushioning. Overall, for the price, I would recommend this scooter for short-term use. For longer-term use, I'd look at a higher-end model with nubby wheels and an extra-cushioned knee pad.
on July 25, 2015
I had flat foot reconstruction surgery earlier this year and purchased this scooter in advance after reading many reviews and looking at options. I did submit my receipt along with a prescription to my insurance carrier and they reimbursed part of the price. I was pleased with this scooter, even though the overall situation was less than stellar.

I put it together about a week prior to surgery and adjusted it to my height. It was good that I got some practice and also tested out which furniture needed to be moved to accommodate the scooter while I had use of both feet. This thing was a lifesaver after surgery and became like an extension of me. I got anxious if anyone moved it out of my reach. Lol.

The parking break works well and I trusted it. The basket was very helpful. When I returned to work I cut a fast food drink carrier in half (from four to two) and put it in the bottom of the basket to keep my drinks from tipping over.

It was light enough that even balancing on one foot I was able to lift it into and out of my car on my own. The first week I went back to work I put the scooter in the back of my suv and used a walker to get to the drivers seat. I eventually got to where I put it in my back seat and hopped on one foot alongside the car to the drivers seat. This was within my abilities and I don't recommend pushing yourself beyond your abilities. My point is that it fit in the back seat of my Honda CR-V without even having to fold down the handlebars.

Near the end of my recovery I also figured out how to drag it up the stairs with me because I hated using the Walker or crutches up there. It was doable, although I never attempted to take it back down the stairs on my own. Dangerous and stupid? Possibly. But the husband was working nights and I hated the crutches and I'm stubborn.