Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 131 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 190 reviews
on October 20, 2016
As a dog lover, l always enjoy a good book written by someone who really knows his own dog. Jon Katz has been such an author, and I have read most of his books. I have lived on a farm and have seen the purpose and meaning a dog's work gives him. I have also seen the look of pride and satisfaction when he sees my approval. We had beef steers and a neighbor had a. Small dairy herd. When he fell ill the family sold the herd and asked us if we would take the dog. He was a great German Shepherd and was a lovely, well trained and biddabe dog. We didn't notice are first, but a neighbor asked if we had noticed Bishop carefully rounding up all the steers are 5AM and again at 5PM. He never got them excited or upset, but would just hold them in this tight group, waiting for his farmer. He loved our family and protected it from intruders,wild or criminal.The only reason for only 4stars is that the ending just didn't hold up to the rest of the book.
on November 1, 2015
Rose is a Border Collie mix who lives and works on a small farm in the Northeast with her master, Sam. Sam is a recent widower and struggling with his grief while trying to keep his farm functioning. A blizzard comes and the bulk of the story is within the time frame of the five days of the storm. It is told from Rose's point of view. The story gets bogged down in the telling. After all how many ways can you say the wind was blowing hard and it was snowing. There is a good plot when Sam gets hurt and Rose saves him and runs the farm by herself for a few days while Sam is in the hospital. It is fiction and working dogs are able to problem solve when necessary. But no dog could do all that Rose did by herself. I still enjoyed it because it is a dog story.
on January 19, 2016
I picked up the ever-present Kindle on my nightstand with the intent to read a chapter or two of the first title that popped up on my unlocked screen. Two hours later, I finished Rose in a Storm. Jon Katz' engaging tale of an ultra-loyal, bound-to-duty border collie battling life-threatening blizzard conditions to serve her beloved master and protect the animals on their small farm pulls the reader in and doesn't let go through the ethereal scene and final question on the last page. Highly recommended for anyone who has lived with animals, loved a dog and tried to understand and perceive life, death and the world as they do.
on October 23, 2015
I adored this book! It's always tempting for an author to attribute "human" emotions to animals, especially domesticated pets. Mr. Katz is careful to avoid this pitfall. His many references to the afterlife, and especially to reincarnation, touched me deeply. I especially loved the imagery of souls traveling "across the water", so to speak. (Don't want to be a spoiler, here!) From start to finish, I couldn't imagine how the story was going to end, and found myself worrying about Rose, just as if she were "real". Well, I suppose she is real, now--the author has conjured her into existence! If you love animals, you'll love this book. Don't expect a "Disney" experience. Farm dogs can have a hard life in some ways, but a satisfying one. This book is, above all, SATISFYING!
on March 3, 2016
Life on a farm from a dog's eyes. What a neat book. It was very interesting to see how the dog spent his days taking care of things and how he assumed responsibility for the farmer and farm and all of the animals. I would recommend it to anyone.
on October 2, 2016
What wonderful book story! I absolutely loved this book!! The story is about a border collie named Rose. Rose is a fabulous hard working farm dog. She has so many wonderful traits yet you will find that she has some very unique traits as well. She is a working dog with strong sense of integrity. I believe all dog lovers will simply fall in love with her. The things she does to save the other animals in a crisis will amaze you. If you are not a dog lover yet, you will be about half way through this book!
on July 25, 2012
I loved this story about Rose. I read the novel on my Kindel Fire. You will fall in love with Rose and with the way Katz writes. The story of Rose in the novel is really enhanced by the other Katz books about his dogs. When Katz tells the story that happend during that horriffic storm, you can see every movement that Rose makes as she tries to help her animals all alone on the farm. Rose is the story teller. You have no doubt at any time that she is making decisions for her animals trying to keep them fed and out of harms way. During the times when some of her animals die, her insight makes you move into understanding the possiblility of animals feelings and perceptions of death and passage from this life into another.

Katz, casts a spell over your mind during this storm. You are there! You feel the cold and the desperation. You cry inside for the little dog as she desperately tries to feed and find a way to help all of the animals survive the cold. She is alone and the only one able to make decisions to help her animals. It is a harsh read in some places if you read before falling asleep you won't sleep. It is too disturbing!

The most surprising part of the story is the discovery of who the Wild Dog is. I won't spoil that for you. Another almost upsetting factor is the "wolf". How Katz thought of the use for the "wolf" is beyond me. It adds a mystical level to the story and in the end there is a more mystical aspect to Sam's dead wife, Katie. I think Katz wants you to decide for yourself the ending. I think Rose may have died, but if you remember Katz technique of allowing Rose to dream about life, then, she may have been dreaming in the end. I enjoyed this book so much I look forward to his next book that will be released in August.
on April 29, 2017
Katz nailed the Border Collie's point of view. I have a Border Collie and I can imagine this is exactly how she thinks from her behavior. This is a must read for anyone who loves dogs like I do.
on December 3, 2015
I love animals but am always leery of animal stories as so many of them border on too syrupy (or are too syrupy). This is an excellent animal story that is not. Given from a dog's perspective, I found the story plausible, interesting and, very often, matched how I felt a dog or any animal may see things. I hope I'm not making this sound too clinical because this story is anything but. It is a good story. Intelligent, dignified, respectful. And warm-hearted. I got involved and melded right into it and the pages flew by.
on February 4, 2016
Simply love books written as. If the animals could tell their stories. Rose in a storm is just a story, but Jon Katz knows animals, and writes a terrific yarn which leaves one enchanted with Rose and Jon, as well.
Simon Ships out is based on the life of the real SImon, to whom there is an English monument. Photos in the book verify the realty of the men Simon accompanied on their travels as well as the dog who was his canine chum. loved this book as well.
Thanks for asking, Janie