Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Def Leppard All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

Rose's Heavenly Cakes
Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 7, 2016
If I can bring more than 5 stars, I will
As soon as I received this book, I started to check out the recipes. They are just fantastc!!! I do love baking so I have quite a few baking books. This is one of the best: Rose Levy gives you all the directions step-by-step through the instructions for making wonderful cakes: from the ingredients in volume (cups, tsp,...) and weight (ounces and grams), which is very helpful for me. Includes author notes, special equipment you will need and some tips... and photographs of every finished cake (which, in certain way, helps me a lot!)
This book contents soooo many recipes separated in different cathegory: Butter and oil cakes, Sponge cakes, cheesecakes, Weeding cakes...
It also contains "the golden rules of cake baking". In it, the author gives advices on what type of flour, butter, chocolate use, how to fill a cake pan. There is also guidelines for storing cakes and frostings.... and much more
I'm so excited with this book but specially with the way the author explains every recipe that I've already ordered "Rose's Christmas cookies" and "The pie and pastry bible"
I've already prepared the Barcelona Brownie, Lemon Poppy seed cake, White chocolate frosting, Banana cake, carrot cake, and some others... They all are just Amazing... I just followed the directions and everything came as beautiful as shown on the pictures on the book.
If you are interested in learn new recipes, in get new ideas or just looking for a book to start baking, this is thethe one you have to order (now!)
Totally recommended!!!!
on February 8, 2014
For years I wanted to buy a baking book by author Rose Levy Beranbaum, so I was so delighted to find her Rose's Heavenly Cakes cookbook in the Kindle format. I immediately purchased her cookbook and downloaded it to my Kindle app. I look forward to baking up some of the following cakes I found in her cookbook:

Marble Velvet Cake
Genoise Rose (You will need a 10-cup metal rose pan or other shaped tube pan for this recipe).
Chocolate Feather Bed
White Velvet Butter Cupcakes

You will also find a chapter covering the making of Wedding Cakes with directions on how to assemble wedding cakes using internal supports. She also offers recommendations for warm-weather outdoor wedding cakes.

At the end of the book you can read topics covering special effects and techniques; ingredients and basic recipes; ingredients sources; equipment and equipment sources and an appendix.

This is a well-written and well laid out cookbook. You will find plenty of color photos scattered throughout Beranbaum's cookbook making it a visual delight and baking aid.

Highly recommend.

MR
on September 25, 2009
Whether you're a novice, an old hand, or somewhere in between, this book will make you a better scratch baker. Recipes run the gamut from fast-and-easy to more complex special occasion and wedding cakes, with photos for almost every cake in the book. These cakes are modern, with an emphasis on streamlined presentation and fresh, quality ingredients. Beranbaum tests and fine-tunes everything in her books meticulously- I have never encountered a failed recipe from her (wish I could say this about more baking books). She also maintains a website where she keeps track of any errors and will, schedule permitting, help out with baking questions.

To compare this book to the author's authoritative tome, The Cake Bible, I would say it is more approachable, more user-friendly, and much more beautiful. All the components for each cake are listed under one entry, so there is no need to flip around to different sections for a frosting or filling. Instructions are broken down step-by-step, making it easy to find your place midway through a recipe. And in addition to her elegant creations, casual recipes are also included this time around, from cupcakes to whoopie pies. Most of this book is new and does not overlap with The Cake Bible, although there are a few new incarnations of some of her more famous cakes, like the Orange Chiffon, which has been transformed into a layer cake, and the Baby Chocolate Oblivions, which are a cupcake-sized version of her three-ingredient flourless chocolate cake.

So far, I have made two recipes from Heavenly Cakes, the Whoopie Pies and the Swedish Pear and Almond Cream Cake. Both turned out incredibly well- I can't wait to try more from this book.
11 comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 25, 2011
Just like Rose's first cake bible this book is a knock out! I just received it today and already picked out and baked one of my new favorite recipes! As always the cake was an instant hit! Does she ever have a bad cake day? I think she has compiled another great book and I love expanding on what she has so I can make something unique and call it my own.This is definitly a book you want to have if you like to bake, or if you like to have diner parties and wow your friends with a cake at the end! I think I am going to be a constant customer for her books adn i hope she continues writing and baking for a long time!
on October 29, 2010
This is the first time that I have ever written an amazon review, but Rose's Heavenly Cakes is such an amazing cake book that I feel obligated to sing its praises. So far I have made two cakes, the Sicilian pistachio cake and the whipped cream cake, and they both came out as perfectly as cakes purchased from a bakery. In order to achieve the perfect results, you must follow her directions exactly...which includes thawing the butter and eggs to room temperature. Some people may not have the patience to follow her instructions or they don't understand why it's necessary to do things in the order that Rose specifies, and I guarantee this is why their results are not perfect. Rose has made a delicious science out of cake baking! I have truly never made such delicious cakes before! Another perk of this book is that there are recipes from the simple to the complex. The Sicilian pistachio cake took me around 3 hours start to finish, but the whipped cream cake took a quick and easy 45 minutes (including baking time). There is truly something for everyone in this book. I can't wait to get her earlier book, too!

Update on 11/16: I have made four more cakes: Lemon Poppy Seed Sour Cream Cake, Rose Red Velvet cake, Gateau Breton, and Sticky Toffee Pudding. It's hard to say which one of these was the most tasty, although I'm leaning towards the Sticky Toffee Pudding! The best part about this book is that the cakes come out bakery quality ON THE FIRST TRY so I'm not afraid to take chances and make something I might ordinarily not. Rose knows what she's doing!!!
on May 14, 2013
I bought this book, because I LOVE to cook and bake. I have been dying to master cake baking from scratch, I was so tired of baking from boxes! It didn't feel as sincere or as loving to give someone a cake that was... well, out of a box. It is an easy read( make sure you read the tips and stuff at the beginning)
My mother's birthday was coming up, so when I Got the book, me and my father got together and picked a cake for her. We chose Zach's Bombe.... not much baking went into it, but IT. WAS. AMAZING. everyone went back for seconds and some even for thirds!! My personal favorites are the Red Velvet cake, Molten Lava Cakes(BIG hit at dinner parties), and the Devil's Food cake. I haven't tried them all yet, we really only do cakes for birthdays or very special occasions in my family. I get requests from friends who want cakes from this book and they tell me about how they loved it etc., so I would definitely recommend this book.
on March 15, 2013
I have always considered myself an amateur baker with potential... not a lot of excuses to make tons of cakes, but I want those times to delight (and even impress) my friends and family.

This book, paired with Rose's classic Cake Bible, gives me the tools to make some stunning, superior cakes. Note that the ingredients are always listed as the highest quality -- so making some of these can get a bit pricey for the casual baker. So think of your audience and save your time and money for guests who can appreciate the difference (or choose something other than the deepest chocolate recipes). Personally, I have used Ghiradelli chocolate and had amazing results.

The recipes are easy to follow, though you must read through beforehand. My husband (who NEVER bakes) was able to make the beautiful chocolate cake with raspberries and current jelly topping for my birthday with great success.

I particularly appreciate the "understanding" that Rose adds to her recipes. Take the time to read the appendicies that go into detail about the ingredients and how they interact with one another. This might seem a bit like chemistry class, but it has made me a better baker, understanding the balances she carefully maintains and how different ingredients will affect the outcome.

Highly recommended!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 15, 2013
This book is quite dangerous as the results are so good. Everyone hits the treadmill or pounds the pavement before I come over with one of these.
The lemon poppy seed cake is amazing for so little time and so much flavor. It is worth waiting twenty four hours for the additional flavor burst. The lemon luxury cake is one of the best cakes ever. The red velvet disappears in minutes in a too of 8 people. While not all of the cakes are to my liking I have yet to make one that someone does not love.
I've had several people tell me my cakes exceed the quality and taste of any of the local bakeries in Seattle. Rose gets the credit. Yes there are many steps. But she walks you through everything and with a good attention to detail the results are spectacular.
on November 5, 2009
Most previous reviewers nailed it - this book is a must for any baker. The book has very easy, very quick cakes in them that are perfect not only for the beginning baker but also for every day baking. It also breaks down very flashy, complicated cakes in manageable steps, and turns newbies into experts in no time. As a European, what I like best is that the cakes aren't overly sweet, as many American cakes tend to be.

So far I've tried the Whipped Cream Cake, the Karmel Cake, the Gateau Breton, the Double Chocolate Valentine, the Genoise Rose, and the Genoise Tres Cafe, and got rave reviews for each one of them.

If you have any doubts try the Whipped Cream Cake that's on the Amazon website, it's a perfect example of a quick, very yummy cake with a perfect texture. I promise you'll want to have the book.
11 comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 13, 2011
This book is just busting at the seams with great cake recipes! I bought this book as gift for my wife and it has got to be her all time favourite cake book! This thing sees less shelf time than it does time in the kitchen! We have yet to be disappointed with the results from any recipe in this book... albeit we have not tried every single recipe in the book, but we have tried the majority.

To prove my point, I used to hate carrot cake... never touch the stuff, my wife had tried several recipes and variations on carrot cake, but I never liked it. She tried the recipe out of this book and it has instantly become one of my top ten favourites.

I find that one of the main reasons my wife enjoys this book is because of the already converted measures for each recipes. Whether you are used to cups or weights, not a problem! You will find both for each recipe! Instantly eliminating the guess work and conversions!

Some recipes are quite simple and straight forward with a reasonable amount of steps involved, however there are some recipes that do require more time and more attention to details to prepare... in either case, the results are well worth it. Trust me!

You will also notice that with some recipes, you will have to deal with a relatively stiff batter and when you mix it with a wooden spoon it can become a somewhat tedious job. However, my wife has been cooking up a storm ever since we got a professional stand mixer (worth investing in if you really enjoy baking)!

I love the fact that this book is a hardcover book, with medium gloss paper with almost a picture for every cake in this book (a crucial point for a lot of people)! All these make this book both durable and a joy to read and just flip through.

Overall a great book with plenty of classic recipes and creative ones as well. This book is a must for anyone who enjoys home bakery! If you don't have it then you are seriously missing out!