Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

• Roses
  • Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change
Price:$14.81+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 510 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 685 reviews
on July 14, 2016
Roses is a multi-generational family saga that is very well written. I'm not sure if I've ever encountered a book with more frustrating characters - particularly the women who were either obsessed with the Somerset plantation or else manipulative and vindictive. Pretty much everyone needed their heads knocked and their priorities realigned! There is a whole lot of sadness and regret, without much joy in any of the characters lives, and even the ending wasn't as joyful and satisfying as I was hoping. So this book earns 4 stars for being very well written, it draws the reader into the family story and makes you care for the characters. However I can't say I actually enjoyed reading it since it was so tragic and sad.
on January 21, 2015
I am glad to be finished with this book. I didn't appreciate the disregard for the heart throughout the story. To me the characters were manipulative and self serving and far too cold to be enjoyed. Having grown up in a loving family, I can't imagine allowing things be more important than love. I gave it three stars because the writing flowed and was well done, I just didn't care for the characters personally. I also felt the climactic buildup at the end was hardly satisfying considering the amount of time spent waiting to 'understand' all of the why's...
on July 23, 2017
Such a good read! Even though this book was 600+ pages, I finished it in a day and a half. I absolutely could not put it down. I felt as though I was right there with every character experiencing their highs and lows. I'm recommending this book to anyone and everyone. My only regret was finishing the book to find that there wasn't more to the story!!!! Crossing my fingers that Leila Meacham decides to write more on the story line.
on November 7, 2014
This book moved along painfully slow. Admittedly, I prefer non-fiction, but "Gone With The Wind" is one of my all time favorites. When I read an editorial review stating it was "a throwback to epic storytelling in the vein of Edna Ferber, Margaret Mitchell...." I was looking forward to a good read. Unfortunately, in my opinion, that editorial review was far from an accurate description of "Roses".
on February 10, 2015
Poor, predictable writing. It SOUNDS like the author and she is standing back in judgment of her characters -- those she wants you to find guilty and those she feels sorry for. She needs to step INSIDE HER STORY and then she has a really good book.
on March 25, 2014
These were not particularly interesting or lovely characters, and I found it hard to care one way or another about their lives and loves. I don't expect every book to have a gloriously happy ending, but I got tired of the main character's obsession. The other characters could have been developed much more completely. A disappointment, since I usually like family sagas.
on March 27, 2014
I had read Somerset, the prequel to Roses, first, and loved it. I looked forward to continuing the saga of the Tolivers, but was sorry to find most of the characters in this book to be totally unlikeable, and the "curse" running rampant. I found it to be very disappointing, and was glad I read Somerset first because if I'd read Roses first, I would have never been motivated to read the second book.
on May 10, 2017
a steady read. not a page turner, but enjoyable and easy to stop and start and not get lost in between
on May 9, 2017
Roses is a story that will stay with you long after you turn the last page. I have read it three times and it just gets better with each reading.
on December 27, 2014
My best friend told me about Roses a while back when I had loaned her one of my books. She asked had I read it. I'd never even heard of it. She bought it for me on my birthday and said I would love it. She never lets me down.

It took me a while to read it because I was soaking up every little detail. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. Sometimes there really aren't words to really describe how a great book leaves you feeling when you finish it. I am at a loss for words. An excellent read. I cried. I laughed. I gasped. Roses was definitely out of my "comfort zone" when it comes to books. After reading it, I may have found a new "comfort zone."