Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on January 28, 2014
This is how a language program should be designed. It is structured in much the same way anyone learns a language natively; it shows you the visual of the action, then pairs that with the words and sounds, and over time, your brain connects it all together. What most impresses me are the pronunciation exercises, which record your voice and allow you to compare it by way of a sound graph with the native speaker. If you work the program, you are going to learn how to speak whichever language it is. It is intuitive, easy, and straightforward, and gives you immediate feedback.

There are a couple of minor annoyances.

One: I was not able to download the program from the website, and had to install it from the discs. No big deal. Just a little wasted time. My suggestion is to just use the discs to install the program and forget downloading it.

Two: Rosetta Stone seems to be encouraging you to sign up for an online subscription service called Totale. When you attempt to install the program, it sends you to their site where you are sort of railroaded into signing up for the trial program. There doesn't appear to be any opt out feature, that's why I say railroaded. However, if you wish to effectively disable all this Totale business, when you are registering, just put your birthdate as under 13, and it will just go to installing the program and disable the Totale mumbo jumbo.

But all that is a small deal in comparison to how great the program is. I think it is fantastic actually, but would keep my eye out for getting it on sale or during a Lightning Deal. If you can get it for under $250 or so, that's a more reasonable price I think.
40 people found this helpful
on May 24, 2017
OK, this is for the Italian version. I bought both. While it is very comprehensive, its a pain to use. You are asked to respond to photos which at times are too small to get the correct information. It continues to lose track of where you left off in a lesson and wish to resume, It is great for vocabulary and basic grammar. Pronunciation function does not work very well. You repeat the word several times and it does not recognize it. It is very good for learning to write. spelling is a highlight for the product. You will not go through the units very quickly. That is a plus, repetition and spacing is good for learning. Now that the price has dropped. it would be worth the investment. Consider Pimsleur courses available on CD from Amazon, and DuoLingo available for free. DuoLingo gets five stars for a good introductory language course featuring readin, writing, and speaking. I recommend it highly​
3 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on March 22, 2017
I love this program.After buying many French-learning programs,I find that Rosetta Stone is the best.I learn more each day with it that I have using all the rest. And those products are good,but the method R.S uses suits me the best. I learn best with jumping right into each lesson/level ,fearlessly.
I also use RS online ,and feel very comfortable using that method as well.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I just purchased this Rosetta Stone French Level 1-5 Set and was very anxious to get started. It did not load properly on my MAC and I had to spend nearly an hour on the phone with one of their specialists. The problem got solved but it was a pain in the neck.

I went through the whole first lesson and found it good. However, I've had four years of high school French and minored in French in college. It's been decades since I've studied the language but if I hadn't had the background, I would have been lost. The graphics are great and the pronunciation is very French. The lessons consist of vocabulary, written, pronunciation, and one part I just couldn't figure out. For the heck of me, I couldn't guess what they wanted me to do. I failed that section and got over 95% in the others.

I think this program would work best for people with SOME background in French or those who can learn by pure immersion. I like the combination of writing, reading, speaking and repetition.

Because I had problems with the installation, I received a letter from Rosetta Stone's representative. Ironically, she has some problems with English writing. Instead of 'you're', she wrote 'your'. That always gets me. A representative of a language learning program should be able to write the language of the user. Oh well, I also ordered the Pimsleur French program and it will be interesting to compare the two.
6 people found this helpful
on April 1, 2014
I debated so long about whether or not to purchase Rosetta Stone French. Finally, I went ahead and purchased it. I am an American now living in a French-speaking country, so I really wanted to learn. Also, Rosetta Stone the name you hear associated the most with language learning.

But $300 and several months later, I'm not a fan. Though I've completed over 50 lessons (and did the first half twice to make sure I was getting it), I still haven't learned more than just a few basic vocabulary words.

I'm going to try to keep using it, along with some resources that actually teach the language...only because I spent hundreds of dollars on it and don't want to feel like a complete sucker. If you're not a child, don't expect to learn like one...at least not without a ton of frustration.
35 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 22, 2013
bought this based on its reputation. sad to find that it does not live up to it. if i didn't have a very strong base in romance languages, i would be completely lost. the headset/microphone that comes with it is pretty awful. i find i have to shut down the program and restart just to get it to work. having said all the negative things first, it is only fair to say that i am, indeed, learning to read and recognize things in french that i didn't know before. it advances quickly, sometimes a little too quickly, but it does build so i'm never bored and always challenged. couldn't say i would recommend but it's not the worst way to learn something new.
3 people found this helpful
on July 21, 2014
I've always wanted to speak a second language. I took Spanish for seven years between middle and high school. I can say I still understand a fair bit, but I can barely speak it at all. I've always kind of wanted to speak French (despite it having no real practical use in my daily life) so when I saw Rosetta Stone was on sale I decided to finally pull the trigger. As I write this I am just finishing up the first level and I can honestly say I probably speak more French right now then I do Spanish. The immersion learning system works really well for me. I associate the words with images instead of other words so there's no awkward translation going on in my head. I see a cat and I think un chat. That being said I think this system works better for vocab then it does for grammar. I think I am slowly picking up some grammar rules along the way, but that's much harder than just the vocab. You're never quite sure if the conjugation you just learned is universal so it's hard to know if you can apply to another phrase. To be fair, I think that's probably true of learning one's first language as well. Children are more likely to screw up grammar than they are to pick the wrong noun. I may pick up a book of some kind to supplement and help me learn the grammar rules faster. That being said, this is the best way I've found to learn another language. It's certainly working better for me than any traditional class I've ever taken.
9 people found this helpful
on December 7, 2016
I've used the Rosetta Stone products before (Russian) and I generally like the program for what it is and how far it goes. I give this particular product (French) a middling review because I CONSTANTLY get errors with this particular product and I rarely if ever got them with the Russian software. These errors (error 1124 in particular) crop up in the middle of almost every session, force me to close out the session, sometimes lose my progress (and sometimes not, something that is also frustrating and confusing), and restart. If it happened occasionally, it would not be a concern, but it happens, on average, once per session. I'm halfway through unit 4, and it's not getting any better. So far I've been unable to find a fix for this (other than restarting). For the money, the product should not be crashing this frequently.
12 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on January 3, 2013
Rosetta Stone works well, but it honestly gets kind of boring after a while. The program teaches you to pronounce things really well and I like the immersion strategy for learning a language, but sometimes I just want to play a game or do something a little differently.

The free trial period for their online world is nice, but even the games on there are pretty boring. It gets monotonous to do the same thing constantly and wish it switched it up a bit every once in a while. I seem to be learning, though! I'm also doing other things to support my language comprehension, including podcasts, grammar books, and vocabulary flashcards.
One person found this helpful
on June 15, 2016
Software and bundle was a good purchase, at a good price. I had waited until it was on sale, and then bought it. Excellent way to learn a new language if you don't have access to a traditional classroom.
2 people found this helpful