BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 23, 2014
Very dissappointed with the QC and customer service of these units. I bought one black and one silver. Added one 3TB drive to each enclosure. The black one worked great, but the silver one made a loud grinding noise when the fan was spinning. I requested and received an RMA, but I have to pay for return shipping. Not ideal. I bought a new silver enclosure the replace the first one, but it has the exact same problem. Two bad units out of three. I'm sorry, that more than coincidence. These units were never QC tested and now I presume I have to pay return shipping for the second bad unit just just like the first... That's poor QC and poor customer service.
on July 2, 2013
I searched high and low for a quality enclosure that has ASMEDIA 105x chipset along with a cooling fan. I wanted an enclosure that would keep my hard disk cool, and also allow the disk to spin down to save electricity. With the fan on, the cooling characteristics are excellent. It can keep my 7200 RPM seagate drive at 34 degrees Celsius after sustained write activity. The temperature then drops back to 30 degrees Celsius. Compare this to the original plastic buffalo enclosure that this Seagate hard drive shipped with, that had no fan, and caused the disk to hit over 55 degrees Celsius and trip the disk's S.M.A.R.T max temperature threshold.

The ASMEDIA 1051 chipset is excellent and can support large disks (i'm using a 3TB seagate), and also provides the ability to spin down disks on system sleep, resume on system wake, spin down to standby on idle activity etc. It also works very well with disk monitoring tools like smartmon and disk management tools like hdparm. I updated the ASM105x firmware of my enclosure with Plugable 130220.81.F6.02 using MPTool which can be found with an internet search. i set the idle spindown to 15 minutes.

I currently have this enclosure connected to a circa-2007 Apple TV (revision one) through USB2. It is running Ubuntu. The hard disk is formatted with GPT and has a 3TB ext4 partition. The disk is detected and works perfectly, and auto-mounted using udisks-glue. The drive spins down to standby on 15 minute inactivity.

The reason I only give this enclosure currently 4 stars, rather than 5, is that the fan is either 'on' or 'off'. The fan does not turn 'off' when the drive spins down to standby or sleep modes (hdparm -y / -Y). The fan if set to on, will run 24x7. Ideally, the fan would be driven from S.M.A.R.T data, and activate when temperature threshold etc is met. The two blue leds as others have mentioned are ridiculously bright, and I disconnected them. If the fan stands the test of time, I'll update the rating of this enclosure to 5 star.
on March 13, 2015
I purchased both the Sabrent USB 2.0 IDE/Sata enclosure and the Roswell RX-358 USB 3.0 Sata one. I need one for older legacy drive compatibility and one for frequently used current modern drives. So, they are not competing products, I need both each for a different purpose and I would advise anyone requiring an enclosure to carefully consider what you need. The only reason why I am reviewing both of them is simply to compare the physical material construction. Both of these enclosures look very similar, the same shape and overall design, placement of fan, lights and even screws, but don't be fooled, they have a very different construction.

The Sabrent box was made from an ever so slightly thinner piece of aluminium, and so it's negligibly lighter weight. The Sabrent box comes with a plastic stand, but the stand doesn't hold the drive box securely whatsoever, it doesn't clip on, there are no screws, no nothing, the box just sits on top of it. Easy to knock it off the stand. I recommend getting a spongy material and line the sides of the bracket to give it some grip. The Roswell box does not come with any stand. If you plan to use it laying flat with the fan facing up, I would recommend getting a few stick-on rubber feet at your local hardware store. The Sabrent box is about a quarter inch longer as well, so even cosmetically, they are already a little different.

On the inside, it's far more substantial differences. The most major difference ofcourse is the PCB board that connects to the circuitry and the jacks at the back and the plugs for the drives. The Sabrent box connection point for the IDE comes on a ribbon and the Sata drive connector sits directly on the board. The other important difference is the fan setup. The Sabrent fan sits (incorrectly aimed inside out) in a four clip frame anchored by one screw, with a thin air filter. Please see diagram to locate and use a long narrow screwdriver or knife to unhinge the clips, so you can flip the fan to the correct direction. The Roswell box houses its fan (correctly aimed) in a traditional four screw mount, but doesn't sport a filter. I ordered another replacement fan and a piece of filter to cut. The Roswell fan is much louder than my CPU box, and my CPU box houses four fans, plus two more on my graphics card as well as three hard drives. It's a really well made towercase and it is silent, but I still can't get over one fan in the Roswell overpowering the sound of my towercase. Roswell, please stop using these fans, I'll pay a buck or two more, just so I don't have to go in there afterward and replace them. A piece of filter is probably two cents more.

Although the Sabrent sports a Sata connection, I wouldn't use it. It's really made for older legacy IDE drives over it's USB 2.0 connection. I was getting sustained throughput of 30-50MB/s. The Roswell is built for Sata drives and USB 3.0. I was transfering between 80-150MB/s. I could probably copy a TB in about 2 hours. I'll be shopping around for a few more boxes, since I have a few drives I like to keep offline.
on February 5, 2015
I just received this enclosure a few days ago, and I installed a WD Green 2TB HD in it today. It's a nifty enclosure, and the bright blue lights don't bother me because the enclosure will sit behind my iMac, out of the way. As others have noted, the large 80mm cooling fan runs almost silently (I couldn't hear it running), and some of the screw holes require a bit of extra effort to align the screws into the screw holes. That was especially true for two of the four screws that secured the sides of the hard drive to the enclosure's inner frame--the ones furthest from the SATA connector. I had to push the drive down into the frame with a reasonable amount of force and manage to hold it there to be able to line up the slots in the frame with the screw holes in the drive. It helped to have a large, long tweezer to hold the screws in place while I started to screw them in. Two of the four holes in the outer cover also required a bit of "coaxing" to line up with the screw holes in the inner frame. I cannot recall having assembled a drive in an enclosure that called for as many screws as this enclosure, and I have assembled perhaps a dozen over the years. That's the only reason that I gave it only four stars and not five. In the end, however, everything came out OK, and I have it connected to one of my CalDigit Thunderbolt 2 Station's USB 3.0 ports where it appears to be running like a charm. My bottom line: if you don't mind having to fiddle with a lot of screws, some of which require a bit of coaxing to fit, then this is a great enclosure. If you're all thumbs, though, it'd be best to look elsewhere.
on August 29, 2014
My unit is suffering from the notorious "sleep" bug - the hard drive goes to sleep after a certain amount of time and does not wake immediately. This bug occurs when the unit is on or after it has been off for awhile. The bug occurs when the unit is on, slowing the function of my computer significantly. As stated earlier, the bug also occurs after it has been off for awhile. That is, when switched on, the drive does not "wake" up - multiple flips of the switch, on and off (upwards of 20 or 30 attempts), are required for the unit to wake the drive up.

There is an update from Rosewill to fix this bug, however, the software provided by Rosewill that is required to update the unit does not recognize the unit (yes, the drive is on and plugged in).
on August 27, 2012
I bought two of these for my 1 TB backup disks (1 Seagate, 1 WD) to replace 2 Sans Digital fanless cases in which the disks get rather hot, and one of which became unreliable (it was the enclosure or its cabling or connectors, not the disk that failed - proven by swapping the disks). Those had the Oxford OXUF934 chip in them and this Rosewill case has a newer ASmedia 1051 + 1453 chipset (per the specs). I primarily use the eSATA interface, but the USB interface also seems to work for me in 2.0 mode. I have not tested it in a USB 3.0 port.

With Ubuntu 12.04 and eSATA this will hot-plug just fine. It doesn't automount for me but that is probably just my configuration. I am also able to spin the disk down on command (hdparm -y) and spin it back up easily. It does automount with USB for me on a machine with a more generic configuration.

SMART parameters are accessible via the chipset in this enclosure (via eSATA anyway). They were not available with the Oxford chipset as best I could tell. Tested with smartctl and my Seagate ST31000340AS (Barracuda 7200.11). Yes, this is a 4+ year old drive.

The blue LEDs are obnoxiously bright, but it is easy to unplug them. I keep the enclosure on its side on an old rubbery mouse pad so the fan is open to the air. You can't turn the fan down unless you add some standoffs or construct a stand of some sort so the fan can get some air. I suppose you could operate it with the fan turned up, but then the drive is upside down. That may be fine, but I'm not personally too comfortable with it. The fan sucks air in and vents out the front mostly but there are small vent holes in the back too so I think the drive electronics and enclosure board will get some air flow. The fan is pretty quiet (I don't hear it).

When operating, the case seems to stay cooler then the fanless Sans Digital case, so qualitatively I think it helps. SMART is telling me the temperature is 36C, which is fine.

Pros:
Fan. eSATA+USB3.0. Hot-plug works. SMART parameters/tests work.

Cons:
The fan blows mostly on the back part of the drive, near the spindle where its electronics are not and mostly vents out in that direction also, so I don't think the drive electronics are getting much airflow.

No feet or stand or standoffs.

excessively bright blue LEDs.
on November 10, 2014
$36.99 with prime shipping at time of purchase.

This is a good case for a single drive. Installation of a drive is easy(a few minutes if that), and since it is metallic it dissipates heat away from the drive effectively(which is VERY VERY important to the longevity of any drive used so stop settling with plastic cases people!), and also comes with a fan that can be turned on and off. So far this is a good case for a single drive, but if you will at some point move into a simple raid setup(0 or 1) or JBOB, and have the cash you should invest in at least a 2bay enclosure to be able to have some data security(RAID 1 protects against hardware failure of one drive) or increased performance(RAID 0 stripes data across drives to increase performance but decreases reliability) with another drive.

I have not used the eSata funtionality nor fully taken advantage of usb 3.0(as the PC I use this enclosure with only has USB 2.0) so I can not comment. If I have a problem in the furture I will adjust this review accordingly.

Also keep in mind the blue light is very bright and can be distracting in a dark room. This can be solved with a little tape so it isnt a problem really, but it should be a standard feature to be able to turn lights such as this off. The light on the right(I believe off the top of my head) is the HDD activity light, which can be covered also but I would keep part of it visible at least so you can tell if the drive is being accessed at glance.

This is NOT designed to protect your drive from the raw kinetic force of an impact. If you need something like that you would need to mod this case with bumpers, get an case for this when you travel, or just be really really careful with your HDD(which you should always be anyway)
on August 5, 2014
Works great on eSATA. (No USB3 port on my computer to test.) After using the drive everyday for about 6 weeks, here is my review:

Pros:
- solid yet simple construction
- eSATA + USB3 ports (all cables included)
- includes switched fan

Cons / feature requests:
- The obnoxiously bright, blue LED activity light stays solid when connected via eSATA. I wish it showed activity. I wish the lights were diffused or less intense.
- The fan can be switched on or off by the user. I wish the fan was temperature controlled.
- Drive does not re-mount after laptop wakes from standby on eSATA. This may be an Ubuntu bug however.

Performance; hdparm -Tt
4TB WD Green over eSATA:
Timing cached reads: 6698 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3353.75 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 432 MB in 3.00 seconds = 143.80 MB/sec
on April 17, 2014
I purchased this for use with a 3TB western digital Red drive, and they work well together. I used it to replace three older external harddrives and I've been very impressed with the significant decrease in volume (it is quite quiet). I really like that it has a fan switch if the noise ever became a problem, but so far I don't anticipate that being the case.

I tried transferring large amounts of data (~1tb per transfer) and observed significant speed boost when using eSATA compared to usb3.0. I don't have a ton of USB devices installed on my desktop (keyboard, mouse, inactive webcam, xbox controller receiver) and they are all usb2.0, so it doesn't seem like that was the issue. 3.0 was plenty fast, though, just not compared to eSATA, so it's totally viable if that's all you have.

The light on the case is rather bright. I'm probably going to cover it with some electrical tape, but be aware of this if that's going to be an issue.
on June 24, 2014
I paired this case with a Western Digital RED 3TB drive. I wanted a nice backup drive that I could rely on and that did not perform any weird encryption, or otherwise, similar to many of the prebuilt desktop models. I like the fan in this one too. It works very well in keeping the temps down. I actually keep the fan off most of the time as it seems to be running cool enough without it. USB3.0 speeds seem fast enough. The LED's on it were too bright for my taste. That was easily fixed with a black sharpie. One thing that is kind of annoying, it doesn't include feet of any sort. It would have been nice to include a bracket to mount it sideways or, at the very least, include some small rubber, stick-on feet. At it is, you'll need to be careful of any surface that you place this on. Outside of that, I really like this case and recommend it to others.