Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Rosie Revere, Engineer
Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 1, 2018
So i’ve been in early childhood education for 20 years, all of my adult life. I have 7 children 6 grandchildren . I’ve taught preschool, been a nanny the list goes on.
I love reading to children and love great books. This book is a must have book in all children’s libraries. Why?
• The book is a larger book. Perfect for reading out loud to a group of children or to one child sitting next to you
• the story is written with an artistic flair for the written word. It’s like a song and a poem had a baby and out comes Rosie Revere Engineer.
• Postive message: about being different, about never giving up, it’s about multi-generations of girl power!
• if you get all of the creators books you’ll begin to notice really cute drawings in the pages that connect the books together.
•New York Times best seller.
This book is also great because there is a need to show our children that women and girls are more than princesses.
on September 3, 2013
I sat down to read it to my 4 year old daughter because the cover looked fun. I wasn't prepared for the life lessons in it for her and for me. With an engaging story that kept her attention and illustrations you could look at over and over again, I found myself reading with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as Rosie battled her fear of failure to do great great things. This book is as much for mommies and daddies as their little ones. I may just read it daily.
44 comments| 204 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 2, 2018
While I admire all the previous reviewers who gave fewer stars, because they are raising children without an ounce of self-doubt, try as I might to encourage her otherwise, my introverted 4 year old often gets frustrated when trying new things. This isn't due to inept parenting or a flaw in her personality, it's just who she is. New experiences leave her cautious and unsure and, in our family of big personalities, I often worry that she is unintentionally outshone. Rosie's story is a great way to reinforce to her that even if she doesn't get the outcome she was hoping for right away, she shouldn't give up.

Previous reviewers compared Rosie to Iggy, complaining that Iggy was portrayed as bold, confident, and a natural, wishing Rosie was written similarly. How boring that would have been! We have all three of Andrea Beaty's books about Miss Lila Greer's second grade class at Blue River Creek, and appreciate that all the main characters are different. Just because Iggy is a boy or Rosie is blonde or Ada is a POC, my brunette, blue-eyed daughter still finds them all relatable.

For those of you who are raising children who are not always extroverted or 100% confident, this is a great book. A bit of warning, though. This line?

"Before it crashed, Rosie... before that... It flew."

Gets me every time. You've been warned.
on January 19, 2017
Our two and a half year old daughter loves this book. The story, the rhymes, the pictures, all of it. The writing is fun and whimsical and rolls of the tongue with the fluidity and frolic of the best of Dr Seuss or Shel Silverstein. The pictures are beautiful, colorful and intricate, and even on pages of denser, longer text, where my little girl's attention might wander, the artwork keeps her entranced. If your own two-year-old is one with a shorter attention span, the book will still take hold of her or his heart a little later. If your kiddo is between 4-6, maybe 7, this book will ROCK.

Oh yeah, and the message. THE MESSAGE! :-) Girl Power, baby. But not overtly. Rosie is NEVER ridiculed because she's a girl. Her challenges have NOTHING whatsoever to do with gender. But she IS a girl. And her new hero and mentor IS an iconic WOMAN. And that's what I wanted. A protagonist with whom my own little girl might identify. Awesome. Super Highly Recommended. Along with Ms Beaty's "Ada Twist, Scientist" - another huge winner.
on May 5, 2017
This book became dear to me from the first read.
I bought this as a gift for my niece, but made sure to read it prior so I'd get the flow/rhythm of it before reading it aloud to her.
It is SO SWEET, and delivers such a powerful message—I found myself getting choked up towards the end. I almost wanted to keep it for myself! It would've meant so much to have had this type of literature when I was a kid, and that's how I knew it was essential that I read it (and gift it) to my niece.
on January 25, 2016
I love and appreciate this book so much! My six year old has gotten reeeaaaallly into making inventions and is setting up a little workshop in her room, just like Rosie. The message of the book is perfect for her because she can be a bit of a perfectionist. "Life may have it's failures, but this was not it. The only true failure can come if you quit" was something she needed to hear from someone other than her mama. This book is cleverly written, uses language that doesn't talk down to children, is super fun and silly so it keeps her interest, and delivers an amazing message. My daughter asks for it at least 3 times a week. And I still get a little choked up. We also love Iggy Peck, Architect.
on December 14, 2017
This is my all time favorite children’s book. It was given to my daughter (age 3), by a dear friend of mine (who happens to be a fellow scientist and mom of two little girls). She told me only that this book belongs in the library of all little girls. Boy was she right! It is a beautifully written story about resilience, perseverance and strength of character with a subtle but unmistakable jab at gender stereotypes. I love the relationship between Rosie and her great aunt, and the nod to strong and smart women of all generations who help to lift each other up when the going gets tough. After reading it hundreds of times, I still can’t get through it without choking up a little each time. Thank you, Andrea Beaty!
on January 12, 2018
This is such an empowering book. I love how things did not come easily for Rosie. She had fears, had setbacks, lost confidence for awhile, until someone showed her that even her so called “failures” are just opportunities to learn and do things better the next time. We had originally borrowed this book from the library and my 5 year old loved it so much. For months she said she wanted to be an engineer when she grew up. Santa gave her this book along with a Brio building set for Christmas. When she unwrapped the book, she exclaimed, “My favorite book!”
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 20, 2014
I received Iggy Peck Architect from a friend 3 years ago and have read it so many times my kids (now, seriously tired of it) know it by heart, as do I ("Young iggy peck is an architect and has been since he was two, when he built a great tower in only an hour with nothing but diapers and glue…"). A brilliant extension to that book (notice that on page 3 or 4, there is a picture of Iggy with his classmates, and Rosie is front row near the left), this book not only maintains that AMAZING writing (it is a pleasure to read aloud), but also grounds that narrative in a historical moment and figure (Rosie the Riveter). It is an immensely empowering story for girls that all sexes and ages will love. And, beyond the story and flow of the book, there are a few lines in the book that are just magical--worth of best sentences of the year (seriously). My recollection (I don't do reviews and don't have time to get the book--but Amazon asked for a review and here it is), is of two lines in particular. One is something like, "But thoughts are tricky, and some hold on tight, and this one kept Rosie awake through the night." (and I can't recall the other one, but it is on the same page where it describes Rosie's "obsession" with helping her aunt Rose check off the last box on her bucket list. I like this book so much--as a story of natural mentoring--that I read it aloud to a group of 250 youth mentoring professionals as a conference last month. This book is that good--probably may become a classic like Seuss or Sendak. If this author/illustrator team can create two or three more of these (based on those characters in Ms. Lila Greer's class at Blue River Creek elementary in grade two), this will be a set surely to be loved for generations. It is unlike most other children's book--like Sendak said when Colbert interviewed him, the only reason this is a children's book is because adults looked at it and called it such. For me, this is like poetry--I could read and re-read it several times a day and feel better afterward. Seriously!
on June 1, 2017
A cute story that encourages thinking-out-of-the-box problem solving. It is especially encouraging that the main character is a female engineer when engineering-related toys are typically marked towards boys, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good story for boys and girls alike!
The illustrations are endearing as well. It makes for a great gift.