Industrial Deals Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 8, 2012
I bought the Rowenta Power Duo with vertical steam 4 or 5 years ago at a local fabric store with 40% off coupon. I figured they were the best so worth investment but was not all that impressed with it. I thought it would be so different than any other iron I had had before. And after having dropped it one too many times, it cracked the water well and needed replacing so I replaced it with a Black and Decker Digital Advantage knowing I wasn't going to get the Rowenta Iron again and funds were limited at that time. (I am looking at them both since I still have Rowenta which I have yet to take to recycle center.) I bought Black and Decker about 2 years ago at Target probably, since I needed one right away.

I prefer everything about B&D over the Rowenta.
*More vertical space for my hand when holding handle since no dial in the way.
*larger spout or well to pour water and I can fill B&D while it is standing up. To fill Rowenta, it needs to be plate down which isn't convenient hands-free if it is hot.
* I am just noticing why the Rowenta dropped more frequently. When it stands up, the base is flat. When the B&D stands upright, it is arched in the middle so appears to be standing on points at corners so won't tip over easily.
*B&D cord is 2' longer.

I would not get a Rowenta iron again!
on October 25, 2004
After deciding against the Intra-Steam found on the Rowenta Perfect (I kept getting steam burns on my hands), I decided on the PowerDuo. This iron has a different sole plate than other Rowentas, and it doesn't glide as well. There is also an overall change in the shape of the iron, leaving it feeling chunky and awkward in the hand. Other Rowentas that I have had were almost fun to use, and I ironed many items just because it was no longer such a chore . . . but the PowerDuo leaves me with the same dread of ironing that I had with my old GE, which I was grateful to replace with the PowerGlide 9 years ago. Given what I paid for that PowerGlide, and the length of time that it worked perfectly, making ironing no longer dreadful, the Rowenta doesn't seem so expensive. The Perfect was only 6 oz. heavier than the PowerDuo (my old PowerGlide was lighter than the PowerDuo), but I find myself pressing down on the iron in an attempt to get the wrinkles out. This is the first Rowenta that I have experienced a real problem with spots of water developing on my clothing . . . and I carefully read the manual, making certain that I followed the instructions meant to prevent just such problems. The PowerDuo also puts out less steam than either the Perfect, or my 9-year-old Powerglide (which was broken when falling from the board . . . otherwise, I would never have replaced it). I'm not at all impressed with the much-touted vertical steam . . . I couldn't get it to work well on the PowerDuo. I still have my love for Rowenta irons, but this one just doesn't compare favorably to any other Rowenta . . . it will be returned, and I will continue to seek a Rowenta that I like.
50 helpful votes
51 helpful votes
on August 17, 2009
Dont waste your money, this iron worked great in the beginning but with less than 6 months of using it and trust me we do not iron that often, this started dripping water. First noticed as I sat it upright to cool down and returned to find it sitting in a puddle of water. Hasnt worked right since and the steam is not up to par. No reason for the problem as it has never been dropped or knocked around.
4 helpful votes
on March 24, 2006
We had a Rowenta Surfline Inox iron for about 15 years which we loved. My husband irons his own shirts so we both agree on this. After 15 years, it started to show it's age so I purchased the Power Duo. We loved the Surfline for it's incredible steam. The Power Duo is terrible when it comes to steam ability. It only seems to steam if the water tank is completely full. Please don't waste your money on this model.
16 helpful votes
17 helpful votes
on January 27, 2005
I was very disapointed when I started ironing and every item I ironed left starch flakes all over. I could tell the plate never would get very hot (I had it on the hottest setting). Cleaning each piece after ironing was not worth it, this is supposed to be one of their upper line irons though my old $20 B&D beat this model. Don't think I'll buy another Rowenta.
21 helpful votes
22 helpful votes
on January 21, 2011
This iron is terrible!!! It leaks all over the clothes while ironing, and when you're finished, you'd better put it in the sink or it will leave a huge puddle wherever you leave it!
1 helpful vote
on December 3, 2006
We have had our PowerDuo for a little over a year and love it. The iron heats up quickly and easily takes care of wrinkles. No problems with the steaming ability or any sort of residue. I would highly recommend this product.