Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 232 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 282 reviews
on February 4, 2016
Thought a Roxio product would actually work but was sadly mistaken. The interface was easy and actually worked pulling in a video from my VHS player. That is as far as my positive comments can go. The software that came with this was worthless. You press record and it appears to be recording, but after you are done you would expect a button saying finish recording (or save, or something along that line) but there isn't and the recording does not save anywhere on your hard drive.
I went to the Roxio site and there is no support for the product at all. The software only showed an update for older software than what came with the product. I thought maybe it would help so I downloaded the only software they had on the Roxio site and it was worse than the original.
With no ability to "save" the recording, it will not be in my possession for very long. I am sending it back. I have looked into the Elgato Video Capture option. I hope it works better than this POC!
on April 26, 2015
Roxio does it again. I tried many, MANY approaches to convert VHS analog video to digital and burn to a dvd. Went through a good deal of crap [sorry, but yes] and frustration and I'm a decent hacker. Part of the problem here is Apple. They simply walked away from support of any PPC [the older Motorola] chip in favor of Intel. If you can get access to an Intel machine running OS X 10.6 or better, this will work. Install the application on the enclosed DVD onto said machine, connect 2 plugs, cue up the tape and GO. 40 minutes later, you will have a 40-minute digital video file on the HD. Burn it, copy it, edit it, whatever. I ended up putting it on a 4GB flash drive. Please note: THIS WILL NOT WORK ON A POWERBOOK G4 OR IMAC G5, REGARDLESS OF THEIR OS X. IT JUST WON'T.
on July 12, 2017
Primitive software, frequently stalls and crashes. I have to be on hand to babysit the process and catch it before it "heads into the ditch." Missing many of the programming features you would expect for the price, to deal with situations you might commonly encounter (how does it handle being disconnected from source? Is there not enough space on the disk or hard drive, and if so does it warn you? etc. File Compression is minimal, resulting in huge files if you use it to simply produce an MP3. A headache.
on August 5, 2015
Had a little trouble with the sound not coming through, every other tape. Had to keep rebooting to fix that problem, but we think it may have been associated with the cabling. My VCR does not have all 3 connectors (not stereo), so that may have caused some confusion in the connection. The process is a bit tedious for lots of tapes because it runs real-time. The most disappointing thing is that by reading the description on Amazon it leads you to believe you can burn DVDs with this software. You cannot. You have to take the converted copies it created and then process it from there using something else. In my case, I don't have iDVD or bundled DVD burner, so I have to find yet more software to do that because I want to view the movies on a standard DVD player for TV, not huddle around my Mac. On the plus side, for a reasonable cost I now have all 20 VHS home videos safely converted to digital and stored in my Mac. That was the biggest hurdle of all since having it done professionally would have cost far more.
on March 25, 2017
Easy setup and has versatile software. Video capture is very poor, multi colored vertical interference on right extending about 15% in to frame. Random horizontal static through out capture. Sound captured is also very low volume. Would require additional processing to restore sound levels. Source used was home movies on VHC-C. Quality was the same using 3 different devices and multiple cables ( 2 VCR players and original camera used to take videos).
I had originally tried a V-Top unit by Fly Kan and while their captured video and sound was excellent the device failed after only about 10 minutes. I thought that Roxio would be more dependable, and it was, But captured video is useless. I suspect all of these video capture devices use about the same chips so quality will just be random. I'll try another V-Top.
on April 26, 2013
Be for-warned!
I would not recommend to anyone that they purchase any product from ROXIO/Corel.
My experience with ROXIO/Corel has shown that supporting their product as advertised is not of importance.

So how can a customer trust that the product purchased will be what is advertised?

I purchased ROXIO "Easy VHS to DVD for Mac" based on the features advertised on the ROXIO web page including the following description.

Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for Mac Contents:
-Installation CD, including
--Easy VHS to DVD Capture software
--Roxio® Toast® 9 Basic disc burning software
-Roxio Video Capture USB hardware
--USB extension cable
--Video Inputs: Composite video (RCA) and S-Video (mini-DIN)
--Audio Inputs: Stereo audio (RCA)

In addition, the "current" packaging for the ROXIO "Easy VHS to DVD for Mac" states that the product has,
"Everything you need to make DVDs from your VHS, Hi8 and Video8 movies and home videos!"

The packaging also states:
"Transfer VHS video to your Mac or DVD"
"Create DVD movies from VHS, Hi8 and Video8 tapes"

None of these statement is completely true based on what is now delivered as part of the product.

After receiving the product I found that it did not contain the ROXIO Toast Basic.
After several attempts to get help with the missing application, I was informed that ROXIO no longer provides Toast Basic.
It was stated in the email from ROXIO tech support, that the web page was out of date and would now be updated.
I was also informed that I would have to "purchase" a separate application to complete the VHS to DVD process.

In my experience, if a product is stated to include an application and that application is no longer provided solely due to the company's actions, the company has provided an equal or better alternative application at no additional cost. ROXIO/Corel does not appear to care if their product meets the capabilities advertised.

Due to the apparent limited availability of Video capture devices advertised as being compatible with the Mac, I have had to keep this product. I am still trying to find an inexpensive application equivalent to Toast Basic to complete the transfer process to DVD.

Again, I do not believe that ROXIO/Corel deserves any future support by customers due to the demonstrated lack of concern with providing customers with a product that meets the expectations set by their product advertising.
on December 5, 2010
I got this product a few short days after ordering it(via free shipping!) and brought it in to my workstation. Then I:

1)Installed the software.
2)Plugged in the intuitivel usb interface to my Mac Pro.
3)Hooked the other end up to my 10-year-old Sony VCR.
4)Popped in a VHS tape.
5)Hit the "Start Recording" button in the software window

And BAM! had a video well on the way to being a DVD. All inside of 5min. This software is maybe TOO easy to use. I don't know if there are options missing that I will discover I need down the road, but for my immediate needs-pulling video from deteriorating VHS taped and digitizing it for DVD-this software/hardware package is elegant and perfect.

This product has not been rated very highly anywhere I have seen it and I was reluctant to order it for that reason. I did so figuring I would return it if it didn't work for me. I can't stress enough how easy it was to set up and start working! Possibly the most mind-bogglingly simple-to-use setup I've ever encountered, especially with video. I used to use Formac Studio TV firewire interface for my conversion needs. It never seemed to work as advertised, and when it did work, it invariably rendered choppy video that cut out every time there was the slightest flaw in the video tape playback. The Formac interface cost me over $200! Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed with this machine but didn't know what else might be out there!

When I found the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for Mac I was at once excited and hesitant. The reviews nearly scared me off, but the price([...]) was right. I realize that this price is higher now, but having had the chance to use it for a while, I can say it is worth the $60-$70 I normally see it advertised for. If you are a CONSUMER LEVEL user who doesn't own professional video equipment, and you need to convert some old VHS tapes to DVD or Quicktime, this is what you need! Check the system requirements against your machine and go for it!
on June 6, 2017
The Amazon description is for a version of this software that will run on OS X 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 Macs. The problem is the software sent to me will only work on Intel Macs, and only those running OS X 10.6 up to OS X 10.9.
The information right on the package I received stated "Intel" only. I sent it back for refund. I need a version that will run on PPC G5 processors with OS X 10.5.
on January 16, 2012
I chose this software/hardware combination because it was a little less expensive than the Elgato Video Capture Device (10020840) and I have less than a dozen hours to convert.

First, the software is functional (this review is for the Mac version) but does not have any "bells or whistles" -- like the Windows version. That being said the price is a little high, but less expensive than having some one reputable convert your tapes. I only have one copy of the tape, so I waned to keep track of it and do the conversion myself.

My only frustration was understanding how to get the video to be captured -- there are insufficient published instructions. I followed the instructions (what there are): (1) install the software (2) connect the VCR cables to the USB and plug it in th a chassis USB port. Audio but no video.

I spent three hours on Google and Roxio before I found a Roxio discussion item with a clue: "Wait until you've launched the application before inserting the USB device"

You would think this would have been more prominent in the instructions.

Once that was clear the capture worked fine. The software has some odd behavior -- when I stop a recording, or 'Fast Forward' a tape recording the video window sometimes freezes on the last image, and sometimes echoes what you would see on the connected TV screen.
on June 13, 2014
Just bought Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for MAC to convert all of those old family videos on VHS to digital format. I am using the composite RCA cables from my VCR to my MacBook. I have done hours of cassettes so far, and It all looks fine, but when I play the .MOV file back in Quicktime, the audio and video are out of synch, sometimes by several seconds, sometimes barely at all. Haven't figured out the problem yet, but if I can't work it out then this won't be worth doing.

Others have said that you must not have any other applications running at the same time, and to limit the length of any one file. I will try this.

I am using it on my MacBook (2007) running OS X 10.6.8 and Quicktime 10.0. This allows me to place the MacBook right on my entertainment center. The initial "flatenning" and saving takes a while (maybe 15-30 sec per minute of video?) after you play the VHS in real-time. Be aware, it only outputs .MOV files.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.