Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on May 23, 2016
It's only USB 2.0. It will only work with USB 2.0. And you only know this when you install the software and go to plug in the device and see that it won't be recognized by the software but it is recognized by the computer. So if you have an Mac that is 2012 or newer, you will not be able to use this product. I had to borrow a neighbors old 2010 MacBook Pro to use this product. It does a decent job recording the videos. I'm just glad I have to do this only once. Also, Roxio customer service sucks terribly. I got one email reply back from them 24 hours after I sent one, then replied to that one like instructed to if I had more questions and it's been a week and haven't heard anything about they said I would have a response in 24 hours. So in the end, it's fine. It gets the job done, but you need an older Mac (Pre-2011) and customer service sucks.
on December 14, 2017
This worked great for me ! I digitized all my old VHS-C tapes with Roxio Video Capture. I was able to transfer the videos to a PhotoSpring Digital Picture Frame. The 30 year old videos came out great. There is a sizing option on the software so you can break up the video into smaller files. This was perfect for my purpose - recovering old VHS tapes before they rot. I was thrilled to see these old videos of family, friends, vacations. Now they are on a digital photo frame to see anytime. I was also able to see them on my TV with the Apple TV box (the PhotoSpring frame resolution looks better than on TV). I was going make a return to Roxio at first because it crashed. (They do accept returns.) But I persevered and found out it was my VHS player which was broken. I bought a used JVC HRS5912U VHS player for $65, s-video male to male cables $12 to hook it up, and a VHS cleaning kit $10 to clean the heads periodically while running these old tapes through it. I already had a VHS_C cassette adapter (had to replace corroded batteries & clean up, otherwise new is $20). You also need RCA male to male Stereo cable - I already had lots of them. This all worked fine. The VHS player doesn't have to be hooked up through the TV, I just cabled it to my computer with the player sitting under my MacBook - when you hit play on VHS Player, the display goes through the Roxio Video Capture program. The Roxio USB connector was a little loose so try not to jostle it. I tested recording quality difference between a Composite -vs- S-video hookup: Definitely use S-video if you have the option, composite is not bad though. It was all worth it - the cash and the effort. The results are priceless ! Can you imagine getting to recover video from so long ago ? Thanks Roxio !
on December 15, 2017
This product was a disappointment. The hardware is easy to use and video capture generally works ok. But, if capture is paused and you want to fast forward the VHS to the next scene, the product somehow gets the next audio and video out of sync and the capture is useless. Actually, as I used it more copying a wedding video, I noticed the audio seemed to be always a little out of sink. OK with some video but not good if the video is directly of someone talking. Also, the DVD edit and burn software is buggy. It doesn't want to shut down so I've had to use the "Force Quit" function on my Mac to get the thing to close. Overall, the product works, sort of, and is fairly easy to figure out, but still a disappointment.
on April 5, 2011
I bought this package to rip some old home movies from VHS to my Macbook Pro. The experience you have when using this product is rather mixed.

PROS: It does what it says it will, easy install, easy process

CONS: very few options, VERY unreliable connection

If you need to convert VHS to digital or DVD this prodect is decent. It's not great but it will get the job done. The setup is fast and it's a fairly straight forward process. When you install the disc it will install both "Easy VHS to DVD" and "Toast Basic." You can use Toast if you want or just import into iMovie. If they wanted to you to use Toast you'd think they would have included the premium version. The version they give you functions but it's also full of the upgrade reminders which drives me crazy.

Importing into iMovie is very easy. It's time consuming (even on a quad core processor with 8gb of RAM) but it does transition smoothly.

The size of the file on the best setting is very large. It's surprising because when you are done you'd think you created a HD file. It's really that big. If space is an issue avoid the high quality setting.

The biggest issue with this product is the connection. At first the video didn't show up so I unplugged and replugged everything. Next the sound didn't come accross so I unplugged and replugged everything. Then the sound came through but the video went out. After a few times everything magically worked. Not a fun experience.

Overall it's an ok product that will not amaze you but it will get the job done. The connectivity is a bummer and more options would be nice too.
on January 23, 2018
I was never able to get this product to work. I installed it on my MacBook Pro with MacOS 10.13 on it and it just wouldn't recognize the video capture device. After spending a ton of time on it - I then realized that it's only set to work on MacOS 10.5 to 10.8. Finding MacOS 10.8 was a bear since it's such an old operating system. I finally got it and then spent a ton of time getting MacOS installed on a MacBook Air. Once installed it still wouldn't recognize it. Customer support was pretty useless. It would take a day to get back to me per question and the responses were fairly useless. I finally gave up after wasting a lot of time.
on March 25, 2017
Easy setup and has versatile software. Video capture is very poor, multi colored vertical interference on right extending about 15% in to frame. Random horizontal static through out capture. Sound captured is also very low volume. Would require additional processing to restore sound levels. Source used was home movies on VHC-C. Quality was the same using 3 different devices and multiple cables ( 2 VCR players and original camera used to take videos).
I had originally tried a V-Top unit by Fly Kan and while their captured video and sound was excellent the device failed after only about 10 minutes. I thought that Roxio would be more dependable, and it was, But captured video is useless. I suspect all of these video capture devices use about the same chips so quality will just be random. I'll try another V-Top.
on January 9, 2018
I’ve tried several different types of software to get my old VHS home videos onto my Mac and none have worked, until now. This is easy to use, easy to setup and gives great results. Highly recommended.
on January 16, 2012
I chose this software/hardware combination because it was a little less expensive than the Elgato Video Capture Device (10020840) and I have less than a dozen hours to convert.

First, the software is functional (this review is for the Mac version) but does not have any "bells or whistles" -- like the Windows version. That being said the price is a little high, but less expensive than having some one reputable convert your tapes. I only have one copy of the tape, so I waned to keep track of it and do the conversion myself.

My only frustration was understanding how to get the video to be captured -- there are insufficient published instructions. I followed the instructions (what there are): (1) install the software (2) connect the VCR cables to the USB and plug it in th a chassis USB port. Audio but no video.

I spent three hours on Google and Roxio before I found a Roxio discussion item with a clue: "Wait until you've launched the application before inserting the USB device"

You would think this would have been more prominent in the instructions.

Once that was clear the capture worked fine. The software has some odd behavior -- when I stop a recording, or 'Fast Forward' a tape recording the video window sometimes freezes on the last image, and sometimes echoes what you would see on the connected TV screen.
on August 31, 2011
I was quite worried with all the bad reviews, but so far this product has worked exactly as advertised except for the fact that after copying a DVD, the selection to burn a disk with Toast did not work automatically. I had to open the Toast application and than drag the video to start the burning process - not really a big deal. The Toast application is actually Toast 9 and seems to be the full version. There was an upgrade for both the copy program and Toast, which I downloaded before trying the software.

I am still a bit concerned about the reported poor support by Roxio, but hopefully, I won't need to contact them. By the way, I am operating Lion 10.7.1 on a 3.06 GHz intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 4 GB RAM. One caveat - don't expect great DVDs from poor VHS tapes. You still get the quality of the tape, which, of course, pales in comparison to what we have gotten used to with DVD.
on January 11, 2018
Product is as expected, it did take an update when I plugged it in and then it started working. Before that it was not wanting to work. Love the fact that I can capture the movies now and use them in iMovie!