BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Wonderstruck PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 8, 2017
YAY!!! We can finally enjoy our favorite home movies easily again without having to dust off the VCR and pray it still works - ha! This software was quick and easy to install and use - didn't curse once! ;) Excellent product - why pay for a service when this is so easy? Update: taking it down to 4 stars - still a good product but I found that about once every 5 tapes or so the sound will cut out partway though and you have to redo. VCR head cleaner helps. I have to run one after about every other tape or I really have trouble.
on January 16, 2012
I chose this software/hardware combination because it was a little less expensive than the Elgato Video Capture Device (10020840) and I have less than a dozen hours to convert.

First, the software is functional (this review is for the Mac version) but does not have any "bells or whistles" -- like the Windows version. That being said the price is a little high, but less expensive than having some one reputable convert your tapes. I only have one copy of the tape, so I waned to keep track of it and do the conversion myself.

My only frustration was understanding how to get the video to be captured -- there are insufficient published instructions. I followed the instructions (what there are): (1) install the software (2) connect the VCR cables to the USB and plug it in th a chassis USB port. Audio but no video.

I spent three hours on Google and Roxio before I found a Roxio discussion item with a clue: "Wait until you've launched the application before inserting the USB device"

You would think this would have been more prominent in the instructions.

Once that was clear the capture worked fine. The software has some odd behavior -- when I stop a recording, or 'Fast Forward' a tape recording the video window sometimes freezes on the last image, and sometimes echoes what you would see on the connected TV screen.
on June 6, 2017
The Amazon description is for a version of this software that will run on OS X 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 Macs. The problem is the software sent to me will only work on Intel Macs, and only those running OS X 10.6 up to OS X 10.9.
The information right on the package I received stated "Intel" only. I sent it back for refund. I need a version that will run on PPC G5 processors with OS X 10.5.
on June 13, 2014
Just bought Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for MAC to convert all of those old family videos on VHS to digital format. I am using the composite RCA cables from my VCR to my MacBook. I have done hours of cassettes so far, and It all looks fine, but when I play the .MOV file back in Quicktime, the audio and video are out of synch, sometimes by several seconds, sometimes barely at all. Haven't figured out the problem yet, but if I can't work it out then this won't be worth doing.

Others have said that you must not have any other applications running at the same time, and to limit the length of any one file. I will try this.

I am using it on my MacBook (2007) running OS X 10.6.8 and Quicktime 10.0. This allows me to place the MacBook right on my entertainment center. The initial "flatenning" and saving takes a while (maybe 15-30 sec per minute of video?) after you play the VHS in real-time. Be aware, it only outputs .MOV files.
on January 27, 2013
Product was given as Christmas Gift. The first attempt to capture a 2 hour video crashed and burned when I attempted to save the file (after 2 hours of recording .... of course) The user support community was very helpful and suggested that I lower the quality of the capturing process which worked. I have not successfully gotten this file all of the way to DVD because "VHS to DVD" is dependent on iDVD which is no longer bundled with iLife. From what learned from my research is that I need to purchase additional software (older iLife which has iDVD or Toast for about $50) unfortunately I would have to pay $20 to Roxio to actually speak to a knowledgable person. I can talk to all of the third party salespeople at any time who will gladly sell me more products, but I am reluctant to purchase additional Roxio products due to lack of support and being "burned" on this one. I think it is impossible to talk to a real live person at Roxio.

I gave it 2 stars because it did not preform as advertised, either change the name to "Roxio Easy DVD to MAC (or PC)" or bundle the light version of Toast to actually deliver "as advertised"
on April 5, 2011
I bought this package to rip some old home movies from VHS to my Macbook Pro. The experience you have when using this product is rather mixed.

PROS: It does what it says it will, easy install, easy process

CONS: very few options, VERY unreliable connection

If you need to convert VHS to digital or DVD this prodect is decent. It's not great but it will get the job done. The setup is fast and it's a fairly straight forward process. When you install the disc it will install both "Easy VHS to DVD" and "Toast Basic." You can use Toast if you want or just import into iMovie. If they wanted to you to use Toast you'd think they would have included the premium version. The version they give you functions but it's also full of the upgrade reminders which drives me crazy.

Importing into iMovie is very easy. It's time consuming (even on a quad core processor with 8gb of RAM) but it does transition smoothly.

The size of the file on the best setting is very large. It's surprising because when you are done you'd think you created a HD file. It's really that big. If space is an issue avoid the high quality setting.

The biggest issue with this product is the connection. At first the video didn't show up so I unplugged and replugged everything. Next the sound didn't come accross so I unplugged and replugged everything. Then the sound came through but the video went out. After a few times everything magically worked. Not a fun experience.

Overall it's an ok product that will not amaze you but it will get the job done. The connectivity is a bummer and more options would be nice too.
on December 11, 2011
I am a fairly experienced Mac user running 10.7. I wanted to migrate home VCRs to DVD. Bought the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD product, after reading several reviews and checking that they had solved the OS 10.6 to 10.7 problem. About 6 hours later, my conclusion is: SAVE YOUR MONEY, THIS PRODUCT IS FAR FROM READY FOR SALE.

On installation it updates to version 2.01. I made all connections correctly. All appears to start properly. However, I consistently get a "failure to save" message. Hard disk space disappears, and all appears well, so you only learn this after wasting the length of the movie. Repeating the process results in the same negative result. (The used HD space is also a mystery as no file results from the aborted transfer, you cannot easily delete something and recover the space.)

No support from Roxio - just many unanswered questions on their discussion boards. I understand that these companies can't afford to staff a call center, but is it too much to ask that they review and answer outstanding complaints? Nothing - no error (OSS -49) decoder, no tips or hints, just outdated product manuals.

Bottom line, save your money, or spend it on some other product.
on March 31, 2014
When I received my Roxio "Easy" VHS to DVD for Mac, it started out great, all the files seemed like they were coming in fine. However, when I went back to check the files, they all played out of sync. That is, the video and the audio were not playing together, by a margin of anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes! This is a flawed software and there needs to be some kind of update or workaround known to paying customers. I spent 3 days transferring footage that seemed to be transferring fine, but when looked at closely, these flaws made the process TOTALLY useless. I do not recommend this product.
on March 19, 2013
It works, basically, but suffers (makes the user suffer) from basic flaws, endemic to corporate ideology.

Some tattle: Roxio was purchased by Corel. In the go-go world of consumer-targeted software firm acquisitions, orphaned products like this app get shorted in support and development as a matter of course. The prime directive is to maximize profit, if it even needs to be stated.

(Roxio's Toast was certainly the cherry on top of the negotiations, so you can expect Corel to go all Adobe on its ass, eviscerating that app of its former usefulness. If you like Toast, don't upgrade. Start looking now for a replacement app, open source or otherwise.)

Okay, this app, Easy VHS to DVD, works, but you have to swallow the $49 price and just lower your expectations. Once you have done the former, a few points might be helpful toward profiting from the latter. I have dozens of tapes to rip, so to make it less painless and more organized, I want to streamline the various processes.

- Set a computer aside for the sole purpose of ripping VHS tape.

- This app is not particularly useful beyond merely ripping one big .mov file per cassette. If this is your scenario too, you're going to need ample disk space.

- When you set up to rip each tape, forget about High Quality setting. It does not apply to VHS, and if you are ripping something of higher quality, do a 60 second test run and see if it's worth it. The high quality setting is the unchangeable default, inconveniently, and it seems to create audio synching problems. There will be no help from Roxio/Corel on this, but there are some helpful chats out there. Search: roxio vhs audio synch problem delay (or the like)

- Have a precise idea in advance of the duration of the tapes or segment(s) you want to rip. You can do this by making notes on paper for each cassette, and then naming the .mov file (rip) to match its tape/segment (source).

- Set an external alarm clock to tell you when to come back and "Finish" the rip file. (The auto-stop feature is not entirely useful, as it is only big round numbers.)

- Don't waste time trying to clip, trim, or manage files using this app. It is only a bulk ripper, as far as I am concerned.

- I use QuickTime Player to view the .mov files' timecodes and make notes (again, on paper) for precise cutting points.

- I then use HandBrake to re-rip each .mov into custom length .mp4 files. (You will need a seconds calculator, HandBrake does only second or frames.)

- In HandBrake, select the preset "iPad" then uncheck the "Large File" checkbox, and you will get good compression and quality. (Let it be known, for I am proud to say it: I do not use, nor do I recommend iMovie, iDVD, or any software which starts with a lower-case "i" for that matter.)
on February 5, 2012
This product works fine with my MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.8, and I was glad that I could output to Quicktime. I read the reviews stating that this product doesn't work with OS 10.6, but clearly it does work for me. Easy VHS to DVD provides the software and a device to hook your own VHS player to your computer, and of course you have to provide your own DVDs, so the package is small but worth the money.