Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 19 reviews
on August 13, 2011
I don't know about you, but I don't think I'll ever be able to justify spending $700+ on a vacuum cleaner. Dyson, Miele, SEBO, Oreck, and the other "top brands" all seem hell bent on convincing the general public that their product will suck the ozone layer right out of the sky. But in this uncertain economy, most of us just don't have that kind of money to spend on a product that only gets used a few times a week.

Enter this Royal commercial vac. I don't know if I'd call it "lightweight", especially considering that it comes with a heavy-duty industrial-type 3-prong cord, but it's an excellent general purpose cleaner. I debated a looong time about whether to buy another bagless one; but after reading too many complaints from people who lose suction when their filters clog up or the seals break down, I decided to go back to an old-fashioned bagged one.

The bags are generously sized & easy to change. I have a floppy, old Saint Bernard & a little guy with autism who likes to dump stuff all over the floor; so I'm vacuuming 4-5 times a week. For this price point, I love that it comes with a headlight & the hose is easily detached from the unit to grab up little pellets of dog food or dry roasted peanuts. And the suction on the wand is FANTASTIC. Yesterday afternoon, I accidentally sucked up one of my son's big, fat, baby crayons & it was transported into the bag before I even realized what I had done. My last vacuum, a P.O.S. LG Kompressor, lost all suction after 6 months & wouldn't even pick up a Cheerio off the carpet. The cost to send it back or have it repaired locally was 2/3 the price of a new one, so we sent a scathing letter to LG, junked it, & moved on.

The on-board tools are handy, with both a crevice tool & a brush. I really didn't want a lot of bells & whistles again. In order to use the wand on the Kompressor, you had to press a lever, pull it out of it's holder, take off the rotating brush at the end of it, set it on the counter & forget where you left it, extend the wand to the right length, put the crevice thingie on the end of it, attempt to vacuum the bits of popcorn off the couch, swear a bunch of times when it doesn't pick up anything larger than a spec of air; then repeat the whole process in reverse. Except you'd have to stop & empty the dirt cup and inevitably forget where you left the rotating brush, leaving you to scratch your head & contemplate Alzheimer's treatments while trying to find it, since the vacuum wouldn't function until the brush is back in it's rightful holder. With this vacuum, you pull the hose off the vacuum, push the wand onto the end of it, and start scanning under the furniture for bits of fruit snacks to pick up. That's it. No levers, no buttons, nothing.

And I have to admit, orange is my autistic son's favorite color; so I bought it with the secret hope that he'll someday (soon) want to start "helping" me vacuum. =)
44 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2011
This is our second Royal commercial vacuum. The only reason we got another one is due to the size of our house. The first one is still in good shape, the only complaint on that one is the holder for the cord broke. This one seems to have a flimsy holder as well especially for the size of the cord. If you are going to have a commercial grade cord (i.e. read heavy duty), then the holder for it should also be heavy duty. Seems like they didn't pay attention to this small detail.
When vacuuming, you can feel the vacuum pull you due to the suction it has on it. I've had a TON of vacuums, from bagless to canister types and all in between. They all seem to last only a few months, regardless of their price. With lots of animals and all carpets throughout the 3,000 sq ft house, I needed something that could handle everything from cat hair that is stuck on carpet to the kids messes. These royals can really do get it all out. The CR50005 has the attachments which is really nice; however, when I put it together the hose seemed a bit small. I had to stretch it to get it into the two holes....I'm putting this off on it being shipped in 30 degree weather and the plastic was cold. The next day when I used it the hose didn't seem as stiff, so no points off on that.
The price for this vacuum and the longevity of life for my previous one makes the Royal Commercial brand ideal for me.
Update: 10/12/2013, Just thought I'd update this review. Almost two years later and this bad boy is still as good as it was brand new.
on March 1, 2016
The vacuum picks up very well, it is very loud and the cord is not the easiest to control, the upper cord holder is made of plastic and will come out when rolling up the cord, kinda cheap for a royal . The accessories attachments are not the easiest to use with the hose that is difficult to maneuver to the position wanted. over all because it has great suction all other don't matter. Because no matter how you look at it ... nobody likes to vacuum and breathe all that dust in. but it's a decent sweeper for the price. I'm happy with it
on July 20, 2012
This is the vacuum cleaner that is replacing very old ones where I work (I work in a custodial department). I liked it so much I looked it up online and found it at an excellent price on Amazon.com. I am very happy with it. I went from a bagless vacuum back to bags because this vacuum's suction (especially when using the hose on steps or furniture) was "superior to the max" compared to what I had been using. The only drawback for me is that I cannot find an extension to the hose so that I can leave the vacuum on the living room floor as I move up the staircase with the hose. I have to lift the vacuum up onto the stairs and put a knee against it so that it won't fall down the steps. I can only do 2 steps at a time so this is time consuming and awkward. I've even check the Royal website and can't find an extension hose. I'll probably go out and get something generic, bring it home to see if it fits; keep it if it does; take it back if not and try another. Other than that, I have to say that I am extremely happy with this vacuum cleaner!
on March 12, 2017
Was a little challenging to get the handle on as the holes did not line up and also the bag that the screws/nuts came in had a hole in the bottom so we had to search for them in the bottom of the box ~ thankfully they did not fall out during delivery. Other than that it seems to be working just fine.
on March 29, 2012
I was somewhat hesitant to purchase this for our office since it was so inexpensive compared to other brands. But I am so pleased with it. It was easy to put together and truly is heavy duty. In fact, it may be a little heavy to push if you are elderly. The cord is heavy weight and the suction is great. I love that it is "bagged" because I truly dislike the bagless concept - too must dust flying around when you have to empty into a trash bag (so how is that actually bagless???). Also, I don't like looking at the dirty canister on the bagless versions. This one takes the regular size "Y" bags that you can find anywhere. Best of it, it's ORANGE, my favorite color.
on December 10, 2016
Really works great. Cord could be a tad bit longer, but overall this is a winner.
on May 30, 2016
It works great
on January 5, 2012
It gets the job done well; our floors look great after they're vacuumed. The motor is powerful, yet the vacuum is fairly light weight, and it has all of the basic on board cleaning tools you'd need. It's a very simple vacuum (which is what we wanted), yet very well-built. Hopefully this one lasts a long while.
on December 9, 2012
Very disappointing product.

The first thing I noticed was that one of the vacuum extender tubes did not fit properly in the holder on the machine. This was not too serious since I could use a rubber band to hold it snuggly together.

Then the lower cord holder fell off the machine because the screw threads stripped in the Machine plastic part.

The Y type bags do not fit snugly on the plastique protrusion.

Now the machine has lost its vacuum and I am taking it in for a warranty repair.