BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Russell Dickerson PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 10, 2011
Through his brilliant book on all the intangibles of poker, The Elements of Poker, and material he has made available online on how to play poker and live better, such as his video series The Eightfold Path to Poker Enlightenment on the poker training site Deuces Cracked, which in my opinion was an absolute masterpiece, I have learned an enormous amount from Tommy about how to win more and suffer less at poker, and moreover, to be a happier, better, kinder person in the rest of my life as well. He has certainly taught me more useful lessons than any other poker author or coach, and I might go so far as to say he has been the single person who has had the greatest positive influence on my life.

Needless to say, when I learned he had released a new poker book, I was very excited to read it, and it did not disappoint. Unlike The Elements of Poker, which was more or less an instruction manual on how to become a better poker player and lead a happier life, A Rubber Band Story takes a different tact and is composed of short pieces relating to poker from a more artistic standpoint. It features essays, anecdotes, fiction, and parables. While I would say you should begin reading this book with the expectation of being entertained rather than being told how to win more money, that's not to say that there are not numerous poker and life lessons that can be taken away from reading it.

I thoroughly enjoyed all the pieces; my favorites were the short fiction and the parables inspired by George Orwell's Animal Farm. Tommy has an engaging, extremely readable writing style that is perfect for recounting tales of poker degeneracy. He also has a knack for concluding his tales with very clever final sentences that wrap up the piece up perfectly and make you laugh or smile to yourself. If you are solely looking to learn how to win more money at poker, you might want to read The Elements of Poker or watch his Eightfold Path video series first, but if you want to read an entertaining book about poker where you can pick up a few valuable life and poker lessons in the process, then you can't go wrong with this one. Highly recommended.
on July 20, 2011
"After his aces went down, I eyed him closely. Not a peep. Not the slightest uncomfortable movement or gesture. He looked like a man by a campfire, reverent and calm." - from Sympathetic Vibrations.

Tommy is a poker player's writer but also a writer's writer. To me, he's to poker what Charles Bukowski was to alcohol - able to live through the degeneracy and squalor of an unconventional life and rise to the surface of the mire with a diamond of truth, an important universal truth. "A Rubber Band Story...." is a collection of these truths. Reading this book gives you a glimpse into a life you cannot experience without donating decades of your life and thousands of dollars to experience.

I purchased the book for my Kindle by first downloading it to my phone. I was waiting for a table so I figured I'd thumb through a few pages while I waited. This was on a Friday, by Saturday evening I had finished it without having the chance to move it to the Kindle - a virtual page turner! Could not put it down. I hope Tommy lives to be 120 years so we can keep getting these stories!
on December 29, 2012
This book is a glimpse into the life and philosophy of Tommy Angelo, a player's player in the world of poker and a true ambassador and teacher of the game. He revels in his Zen-like approach to the game, and still is unique in his humour as he relates his lifetime of poker stories and life lessons in this tome.
A Rubber Band Story and Other Poker Tales is a must read for every player who takes their game seriously, and light enough for the layman to grasp its bold and sometimes subtle nuances. Make this more than affordable selection part of your digital bookshelf today.
on September 8, 2011
While most poker books are strategy related texts, Tommy Angelo's writings are different. Those familiar with Elements of Poker have experienced Tommy's whimsical prose in the semi-strategic areas of tilt control, c-game improvement and overall approach at the tables. Through the web he introduced poker terms such terms as the "Hi-Jack" position and the "monotone" flop. No doubt "he struck twenties" will be heard in poker rooms very soon.

Rubber Band Story is a collection of non strategy related poker stories and anecdotes which leaves the reader chuckling amusingly every other page. My only disappointment was arriving at the last page to find there were no more.
on September 17, 2017
Thank you for all your books, I enjoy poker more,golf more,and especially life more.I wish I had read your books 25 years ago,albeit you had not written them yet.
on June 1, 2011
I've been following the writings of Tommy since they began many many years ago. From the small articles in various poker magazines to the stories on his blog, each one contains a lesson about poker, life, or something in between. This collection of work is never far from my reach and neither should it be far from yours. Pick it up and read 2 pages or 20 and you are almost guaranteed to have a smile on your face and a new window opened in your mind. Simply put, go all in on this one.
on November 30, 2012
Tommy Angelo has always been my favorite poker author. He doesn't give his readers specific instructions for how to play their hands, he tells his life story, and is happy to share his mistakes with us. Playing for a living is far from easy, but it can be fun and Tommy does a great job of entertaining the reading through sharing his experiences.

This book will not teach you how to play poker, but it will remind you to stop and smell the roses.
on December 5, 2016
good poker reading for when you don't feel like going to into strategy. A great bathroom book for poker lovers.
on November 13, 2013
Tommy Tommy Tommy. The dude is cool. Intelligent on a strange type of level but smart none the less. Very humorous guy. His writing flows effortlessly while painting a picture you can see and relate to perfectly. Genius. I liked his other stuff and so figured I would add this to my collection. I like it. Well done. You will not be disappointed.
on October 28, 2016
Weird poker anecdotes. Just old blog posts. Don't bother.