Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rudy
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

• Rudy
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$9.99

on December 7, 2001
I think I've seen this movie 100 times, and I have to admit that I never get tired of watching it. This DVD is obviously not for insensitive morons like the guy that gave this 1 star. But, I can tell you that if you coach sports, play in them, or are at all involved in them...you will want to buy this.
A guy said that he doesn't understand why Rudy wanted to play at Notre Dame so much? What about you? Have you never had a dream before? I understand why he did want so much to play at Notre Dame, and any other person can see that too. OK now time for my actual review of the movie:
I thought that this movie was very well-directed, and inspiring. I cried at the end of this movie, and I guarentee if you play sports you will as well. If not tears, you will get chill bumps just watching the end. It's about young man that has always wanted to play football for Notre Dame, but was always too small to. It's a long and meaningful story, but I don't want to spoil anything for you ...you have to get that experience when you see it.
Please buy this DVD. It is really a great and inspiring movie and I'm sure that you will like it.
HIGHLY RECCOMENDED
My Four Star rating reflects both overall enjoyment while seeing the film (Five Stars) and occasional irritation with director Anspaugh's manipulative strategies insofar as emotions are concerned (Three Stars). The dramatic impact of Rudy Ruettiger's struggles to suit up for, if not play in a Notre Dame football game is diminished by such manipulation. That said, Sean Astin is wholly credible as Rudy. Other noteworthy performances are provided by Ned Beatty (Rudy's father, Daniel), Charles S. Dutton (Fortune), Robert Prosky (Father Cavenaugh), Jon Favreau (D-Bob), Lili Taylor (Sherry), and Scott Benjaminson (Frank). Both the "Real Rudy" and the "Reel Rudy" faced two significant barriers to being admitted to Notre Dame and then playing in a varsity football game: weak grades and diminutive size. Eventually, through tenacious study while enrolled at nearby Holy Cross College, both Rudys are finally admitted to Notre Dame; through rigorous training, both then became fit enough to be selected to play on the practice (i.e. fodder) squad. And finally, both play (the "Real Rudy" for 27 seconds) in the last home game against Georgia Tech in 1975.
Others have their own reasons for liking this film so much. Here are three of mine. First, the casting of Astin in the lead role. His performance is endearing, to be sure, but also convincing. Hence my discomfort with Anspaugh's use of gimmicks when none is necessary. Second, the exteriors shot on the Notre Dame campus which is especially lovely during each of the four seasons. I really did feel as if I were tagging along with Rudy as he attends classes, works for Fortune as a member of the stadium's groundskeeping crew, and then participates in especially brutal team practices. Third and finally, I enjoyed observing what seems to be a totally authentic respect for Rudy among the team's starters both on offense and defense. That respect was earned day in and day out, brutal practice after brutal practice, as Rudy and his battered companions helped to prepare the team for its next game. It is worth noting that Rudy Ruettiger was the only player ever to be carried off the field at Notre Dame stadium. The filmmakers recreated the scene with real fans during a break in the 1992 Boston College game. Some 60,000 fans stood and cheered as actor Sean Astin was carried off the field.
Those who enjoyed this film should also check out The Natural (1984), Hoosiers (1986), Babe (1995), Remember the Titans (2000), and Miracle (2004).
___________________________________________________________________________________
Those who are curious about the "real" and "reel" Rudy Ruettiger are encouraged to visit [...] Here are brief excerpts:
Q: Was the groundskeeper played by Charles S. Dutton a real character?
A: Rudy answered no to this question himself during an interview with the Pigskin Post by saying the following, "He was a composite, but that was reality. And that's what happened in my life...all through my life. I would encounter people like that and they would help me get through the tough times through their wisdom and their encouragement."
Q: Was there actually a priest who helped Rudy get into Holy Cross Junior College?
A: In the same Pigskin Post interview as above, Rudy replied to this question by saying, "There were several who played important roles, but, again, you can't develop them all in one two-hour movie."
Q: Did Rudy really sleep in the maintenance room of the football stadium?
A: Rudy actually slept in a room in the basketball arena. The school had the room there for someone to stay during off-hours for insurance reasons.
Q: Was coach Dan Devine really that cold-hearted against dressing Rudy for the last home game of Rudy's college career?
A: In Devine's autobiography, Simply Devine, he writes that it was his idea to dress Rudy for the final game of his college career and also to play him. Devine says that the screenwriter, Angelo Pizzo, told him that the plot would only work if Devine became the heavy. He agreed in order to help out Rudy, someone whom he calls a friend. "I didn't realize I would be such a heavy," he writes.
11 comment| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2006
Rudy is based on a true story about a young boy (played by Sean Astin) growing up in a blue-collar family with a dream to someday go to college and play football at Notre Dame. His family and teachers say he's not smart enough, not athletic enough, and why doesn't he accept his fate working in the local steel mill with his father and brothers. He refused to let his dream die and becomes a walk-on player.

The original movie came out in 1993. Sean Astin was in The Lord of the Rings. Ned Beatty portrays his father. David Anspaugh is the director.

Rudy is one of my all-time favorite movies. The acting is wonderful, especially Sean Astin's performance. The fact that it is a true story kept me watching from the beginning to the end. The music score is well written and inspirational.

I would recommend Rudy to anyone, young or old, who has a dream and needs the inspiration to pursue it.
33 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2004
From the time he was a young boy, everyone had told Rudy Ruettiger (Sean Astin) that he was too small, too weak, and not smart enough to accomplish his ultimate goal - to play football for Notre Dame. Discouraged, he shelves his dream and follows his father and brothers to work in a steel mill. Only one person, Rudy's best friend Pete, actually has faith in him. When Pete is killed in a freak accident four years later, something in Rudy is reawakened, and he realizes that if he's ever going to be happy in life, he needs to play football. He needs to go to Notre Dame. But he doesn't have the grades to get in. We see Rudy do everything in his power, for several long semesters, to gain admission to the prestigious school.
But getting into Notre Dame isn't his only problem. Once in, he has to get on the team - no mean feat for someone who, in the words of the maintenance man Fortune (Charles S. Dutton), is "five-foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'," and has "no speck of athletic ability." And even after he's on the team, there's no guarantee that he'll actually get to dress for a game. In the end, however, the results of Rudy's persistence and hard work are more than he could ever have imagined.
"Rudy" is a touching true story of the power of hope and hard work. It is a football movie, but it is also so much more than that. Rudy's steadfastness is very moving to see, and Sean Astin captures the character beautifully. I think this is Astin's best performance, transcending even Samwise Gamgee in "The Lord of the Rings" (it's a close call though). The supporting cast members are just as perfectly fitted to their roles. Charles S. Dutton turns in a great performance as Fortune, ultimately Rudy's best mentor, and Robert Prosky plays Father Cavanaugh, the priest at Notre Dame who offers Rudy a chance to improve his grades at a nearby junior college, whereby he just might have a shot at admission.
The soundtrack to the film is perfectly fitted. It puts the final cap on many an emotional scene. This Special Edition DVD offers an isolated music score, letting you listen to the music alone. The DVD has some other nice bonus features as well: "Rudy: The Real Story" is a short documentary on the real Rudy Ruettiger, with commentary from the man himself. It is touching to see Ruettiger talk about his experiences, and one can see that Sean Astin did a magnificent job conveying him to the screen. There is also a "Production" featurette, briefly outlining the making of the movie, and finally "60 Seconds With Sean Astin" features the actor giving us some quick commentary on the film. There are also Talent Files on the director and actors.
"Rudy" is one of the most inspirational sports movies I've ever seen. The fact that it is a true story makes it all the more amazing. If you enjoy films like "Remember the Titans" (with Denzel Washington), you'll love "Rudy" (and if you like "Rudy" but haven't seen "Remember the Titans," I recommend that one as well). This is a wonderful movie for anyone, whether you're a football fan or not (I'm not). It is emotional and moving, but never goes over the top. I can't imagine it having been done any better. "Rudy" is a must-see, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
VINE VOICEon November 2, 2005
RUDY is the story of a boy chasing a dream, who in the process becomes a man. It is a plot formula that we have seen before, time and time again. So what makes RUDY stand out so much in my mind? I think what makes this film so successful is the fact that it is true to life, unlike many sports films. In your typical "underdog" film, the sports team faces another losing season, only to channel their hopes and dreams into winning the state championship, the World Cup, etc. It is a concept that is generally played out exclusively "on the field," presenting the audience with a myopic view of the world in which sports are the only thing that matters. I often wonder to myself, after seeing such a film, "What happened to them after that?" And unless we're watching THE MIGHTY DUCKS, who decide to answer the question by putting out more movies, that question is left unanswered.

RUDY is very different. Here is a story about a dream. It is not a dream to score the winning touchdown of a bowl game. It is not a dream to play professional football. It is not an unrealizable fantasy that is sloppily achieved through the magic of filmmaking. Instead, it is a simple dream: to dress for one game on the Notre Dame football team. That's it. Moreover, RUDY is not the story of a man who accomplishes his goal in one season. It takes him years of hard work and disappointment. The effect of telling such a story is epic. By the time our hero finally takes the field, the emotional intensity of that moment is much greater than in most other sports movies I've seen. I am generally not really relieved or emotional when the underdog team finally wins the match-even if "We Are the Champions" is playing in the background, asking for our tears. But I wanted to see Rudy (Sean Astin) take the field so bad, I was extremely involved in the film.

Sean Astin does an incredible job in this role and I think it is by far one of the best performances of his career. In short, if you like sports movies in which the underdog triumphs in the end, you will love RUDY. It blows the genre out of the water. Instead of focusing solely "on the field," this film focuses more on the transformation of Rudy's character and the surrounding details and experiences of his life. RUDY is definitely worth owning in your collection.
on April 21, 1999
"Rudy" is a triumphant cinematic effort in that it's a true story of one person's indomitable spirit that allows him to accomplish great dreams against unbeatable odds. Why this film wasn't nominated for any Oscars is puzzling considering its lush cinematography, well-written script, and stirring score by Jerry ("Poltergeist") Goldsmith. Sean Astin was a judicious choice for the lead biographical role of Rudy Ruetigger, a Illinois youngster growing up in circa 1970 who is impassioned to one day play football for the illustrious Fighting Irish of Notre Dame. However, Rudy's family and his peers believe that his dreams are just wishful thinking considering his small build and his below-par academic achievement in high school. Astin, who's been known to play underdog protagonists quite effectively in "Encino Man" and in "The Goonies", really shines as the film's misunderstood, yet tenaciously optimistic hero. "Rudy" was beautifully shot on location at the Notre Dame campus and in the greater South Bend area. I've actually been to some of those campus places in the movie myself: the stadium, "Touchdown Jesus", the gold-domed chapel, the candle sachristy where Rudy fervently prays for his dreams to come true, and the lake where Rudy poignantly reads his long-awaited ND acceptance letter (my First Love from Purdue & I used to have picnics at that lake, she was from South Bend). Also, Rudy's high school, Joliet Catholic Academy, and my old high school have been in the same Chicagoland HS athletic conference for years. So, "Rudy" has a lot of sentimental value to me in those aspects. Also, one cannot resist the film's touching finale as Rudy laces up for the ultimate memory of his lifetime: to play in the one ND game he would ever get to play in and to show to everyone who ever doubted him that his dreams had come true. No one would ever be able to take that feat away from him, not ever. The crowd's chanting of Rudy's name at that game is contagious as it is uplifting!
If Life ever gets too hard with no hope in sight, remember "Rudy"!
on January 17, 2006
If I take into effect everything about the movie, I should probably give it a 4, since it is far from perfect. It gets a 5 however from my sheer enjoyment of the film. No matter how many times I see it, I still watch it every time I stumble across it. The acting is fantastic, and the story follows a rocky/karate kid formula. Though if I were to list other movies that I would recommend if you enjoy this, they would be: Hoosiers, Breaking Away, Babe, Remember the Titans, and Miracle. If you want something more than the movie, then go for the special edition, otherwise you can get just the movie itself for under $10.
on September 28, 2000
This is not a film about football.
This is a film about courage, faith, and the strength of the human spirit.
This is a film about a man brave enough to pursue his dreams.
That it is on the football field at Notre Dame is inconsequential.
I am sure by now that, since you are interested in purchasing this DVD, you have either seen the movie before or have heard enough about it to pique your interest. LEt me not watse any words here.
Buy this DVD.
Buy it now.
This DVD, while not packed with extra features like "The Matrix" or "T2," is well worth the purchase. For a fan of the movie, you get a beautiful print, and the extra features mentioned so graciously by amazon.com. The interview with Daniel E. "Rudy" Ruettiger is worth the price of this alone. While most "true stories" Hollywood spews out every year tend to have a lot added for "dramatic effect," it becomes apparent from Mr. Ruettiger's interview that very little of that happened in this film.
I got this title yesterday even though I own a well-worn copy of the videocassette.
Though I've seen this movie scores of times, it was like a new experience popping it into my DVD player. The widescreen transfer made it seem more like a film and less like an afterschool special. I was hooked, as usual, from the moment the movie started.
And, as the finale crested and the credits began to roll, I found myself in the same condition I've been in every other time I've watched this film.
I was fighting back the tears.
on October 13, 1999
I rarely take the time to write a review, but will do it for Rudy...
Triumphant, uplifting, inspirational, compelling, unbelieveable cinematography, superb casts, brilliant direction, great theme, outstanding motion picture...well, i'm hyping, but this movie has a complete package. You must see this film for yourself to believe me. It may not be comparable to the great ones like "Citizan Kane", "It's a Wonderful Life" or "Shawshank Redemption"...it certainly deserves to be watched.
Once in a great while a movie is made that captivates the audience... that is for everyone to watch with rejoice and emotional profit...that makes you say "I gotta see it again".... Every kids, parents, students, athletes, entrepreneurs, and anyone who has a dream (I mean EVERYONE) should watch this movie. This is truly an experience to remember...you will not forget Rudy. This is a masterpiece, a classic, and a truly GREAT one! Ok I'd better stop here.
The 1993 film RUDY was such a non-event that it slipped though the theater circuit unnoticed by me. Years later, when faced with an otherwise dreary array of choices at the local video outlet, I focused on it in desperation, which simply demonstrates that the occasional diamond can be discovered among the dregs.
RUDY is Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger, the son of a blue-collar family in Joliet, whose dream is to play football for the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame. Unfortunately, Rudy is undersized, underskilled, and a virtual lump when it comes to the academic requirements needed for admission to that prestigious university. Graduating from high school, he seems destined, like the other male members of his family, to disappear into the grind of a union job at the local steel mill, never to resurface except in the fall with a brewski in front of the TV to view Saturday's Big Game. However, Rudy's dream verges on the obsessive, and he persists in his efforts against near impossible odds, much to the skepticism of his father and the ridicule of his brothers. Rudy has ... heart, with a capital H.
This film is another of those underdog stories beloved by WASP American audiences. However, Sean Astin's performance as our young hero is so likable, so focused, so low key, and so uncomplicated by side plots, that the movie transcends the genre. It's one of those ultimate feel-good tales of the sort perhaps not achieved again until the 1999 release OCTOBER SKY.
RUDY is a true story, which took place in the 70's (though presumably pumped up by the Hollywood screen writers). Indeed, if you're one to sit through the credits, you'll note that the real Daniel Ruettiger made a fleetingly brief cameo appearance among the Irish fans towards the end of the film. Mr. Ruettiger, if the events as portrayed are even only half true, honor is due.