Ruffwear Approach Full-Day Hiking Pack for Dogs
|Price:||$55.95 & FREE Shipping|
- EFFICIENT LOAD CARRYING: The Approach Pack features a weight-forward saddlebag design that provides your dog with a comfortable method to carry the essentials for your trip. The pack's convenient, easy-access stash pockets are perfect for often used items and the capacity is ideal for overnight adventures.
- COMFORTABLE AND DURABLE: The Approach's streamlined design and lightweight materials and components allow for comfortable fit and long-term durability. The padded, comfortable handle offers an optimal balance point with good load dispersion for controlled and comfortable lifting (lift only as high as your dog can safely jump, as the buckles are not strength-rated for high-angle rope work).
- INTEGRATED HARNESS AND REFLECTIVE TRIM: The Approach's integrated harness features provide for leash walking (clip in via the V-ring), lifting (via the handle), and pulling (via the tow eye). The integrated, reflective trim allows you to keep an eye on your dog, even in low-light visibility environments.
- NON-SLIP STRAPS AND SHELTERED BUCKLES: The Approach's non-slip girth straps are easy to adjust, secure, and have pads to distribute load and increase comfort while lifting. The sheltered buckles stay in place for easy, one-handed clipping, and are protected from wear. 5 points of adjustment allow you to create a customizable fit specifically for your dog enabling a full range of motion.
- APPPROACH PACK SIZING: The Approach Pack is available in 5 sizes (see images for sizing chart): XX-Small: 13-17 inches (33-43 cm); X-Small: 17-22 inches (43-56 cm); Small: 22-27 inches (56-69 cm); Medium: 27-32 inches (69-81 cm); Large/X-Large: 32-42 inches (81-107 cm). Choose the right size based on your dog's girth. Girth can be determined by measuring around the widest part of the rib cage. For in between sizes, choose the smallest size.
There is a newer model of this item:
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
The Ruffwear Approach Pack is an everyday pack with excellent performance, fit, and functionality. It provides dogs with the ability to efficiently carry a load, generating instant four-legged motivation to explore. The integrated harness, combined with the lightweight materials and a streamlined design, is comfortable and allows dogs to carry more trail necessities. Great for day hikes and overnight adventures. It's recommended that your dog carry no more than 25% of their body weight in their dog pack. If your dog is new to dog packs, start with a light load and work up to a heavier load as your dog gets accustomed to wearing the pack. The Approach Pack is available in 5 sizes. Select the correct size based on your dog's girth (measurement around the widest part of the rib cage). XX-Small: 13-17 inches (33-43 cm); X-Small: 17-22 inches (43-56 cm); Small: 22-27 inches (56-69 cm); Medium: 27-32 inches (69-81 cm); Large/X-Large: 32-42 inches (81-107 cm). Washing Instructions: Secure the fasteners; Hand wash with mild detergent; Air dry.
Color: Campfire Orange | Size: X-Small
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Compare with similar items
Ruffwear - Palisades Multi-Day Backcountry Pack for Dogs, Red Currant, Medium
Ruffwear - Singletrak Low-Profile Hydration Pack for Dogs, Cloudburst Gray, Medium
Ruffwear Palisades Pack for Dogs, Red Currant (2017), Medium
Kurgo Baxter (TM) Dog Backpack for Hiking, Walking or Camping, Barn Red
Ruffwear Commuter Everyday Pack for Dogs, Cloudburst Gray, Medium
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Backcountry Edge||Myhoovesandpaws||MARZEK||NetRush||Amazon.com||AvidMax|
|Item Dimensions||9.84 x 4.13 x 5.9 in||14.96 x 10.03 x 9.05 in||15.35 x 16.93 x 1 in||14 x 13 x 10 in||0.79 x 3.94 x 3.94 in||13.5 x 14 x 8 in|
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Glad I did. Stitching is solid. Material is solid. I like the handle. It does ride forward over the shoulders. The pack size itself is large, but can fit a 1L water bladder easily and that is what I use for weight. It has the big pockets, and then one smaller pocket above it to put treats, keys, whatever in.
Someone else mentioned in a review about a male dog perhaps urinating on the straps. Like that review, I didn't see a problem of misplaced stream on it, which I have had problems with on the cheaper pack I got from Petsmart.
The straps fit great. They didn't seem to rub him. He ran around quite happily with it. It is a little hard to put on a full pack if your dog wiggles, but mine sits very nicely while I take the time to strap it on. I like the breast Y-shaped strap; the cheaper one I had previously bought did not use it, and with the Ruffwear Approach I really felt like the pack was secure on my dog. I wasn't worried about it slipping and sliding or putting pressure on his neck. We went on a 6-mile hike and it remained in place the entire time.
I like the color. Bright enough to be noticed.
In all, very pleased. Not sure about how heat will be with this--we didn't go on a hot summer day yet! There is no mesh material to help with that (probably because mesh won't hold up to heavy use?). I hope to update this review in the future once we have tried a hot humid day in Texas, rather than a cool spring day in Montana.
We did a 3 day/2 night trip on the Appalachian Trail in southern North Carolina. Everyone that knows me thinks I'm a lazy dog because I lay around the house and cuddle a lot. But I'm just bored with domestic life. A fenced in backyard and 2 walks a day for 30 minutes is lame. I walked 15 miles in one day on my first hiking trip, carrying all my own food, treats, and gear. I only stopped for breaks when the humans insisted. My mom and her boyfriend kept looking at me and wondering what the heck got into me -- where all my energy was coming from. It was the sense of being on a mission, with my pack and leading them through the wood. The smells, oh the smells, out in the wilderness -- I was in doggie heaven.
We're back now, and whenever I see my pack -- I run in circles and long for another hiking trip. For now, I'm happy to use my pack to carry beer for my mom to the beach and at parties. WOOF.
The dogs really love these things. With out it on a walk, she just trots along content. With the pack on, she struts on her toes, tail waging wildly all proud like she's telling everyone, "Look at me! Check it out, I'm wearing a backpack!" Pretty funny.
Thanks Amazon for the easy exchange.
Edit: Update, I have used this pack for over a year now and I still love it. Everything about it has held up very well, through brush, water, and snow. The zippers, the lifting strap, the buckles, and the D ring have all done well. I can't imagine buying another pack.