Ruffwear Swamp Cooler, Cooling Vest for Dogs, Graphite Gray, Large
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- THREE LAYER CONSTRUCTION: The Swamp Cooler's 3 layer construction uses natural evaporative cooling to keep your dog cool. A wicking outer layer facilitates evaporation, an absorbent middle layer stores water for evaporation, and a comfortable inner layer transfers the cooling effect from the jacket to the dog.
- ACTIVE FIT WITH REFLECTIVE TRIM: The Swamp Cooler jacket is built to allow for full range of motion, making it easy for your dog to run, play and enjoy the outdoors with you and stay cool all at the same time. The reflective trim helps you keep an eye on your dog, even in low-light visibility environments, and includes a light loop for attaching The Beacon light (not included) for additional visibility.
- EASY ON AND OFF: The Swamp Cooler features side-release buckles that allow you to easily put it on and take it off of your dog as needed.
- DESIGNED FOR HEAT REFLECTION: The light Graphite Gray color of the vest reflects the heat from the sun which, coupled with the evaporation process, helps to keep your dog cool.
- SWAMP COOLER SIZING: The Swamp Cooler is available in 6 sizes (see images for sizing chart): XX-Small: 13-17 inches (33-43 cm); X-Small: 17-22 inches (43-56 cm); Small: 22-27 inches (56-69 cm); Medium: 27-32 inches (69-81 cm); Large: 32-36 inches (81-91 cm); X-Large: 36-42 inches (91-107 cm). Choose the right size based on your dog's girth. Girth can be determined by measuring around the widest part of the rib cage. For in between sizes, choose the larger coat for more coverage.
There is a newer model of this item:
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
The Ruffwear Swamp Cooler utilizes naturally evaporative technology to keep your dog cool. Soak it in cold water, wring it out, and fasten around your dog. The evaporative cooling technology replaces the dog's heat as water evaporates from the coat's reservoir. During the phase transition from liquid water to water vapor, temperature drops, mimicking the cooling effect of human sweat. The Swamp Cooler's light color is designed to reflect heat from the sun. Combined with the evaporative cooling effect, the Swamp Cooler will keep dogs comfortable and ready to run that extra mile. Auto-lock buckles on each side of the jacket provide easy on/off. The Swamp Cooler is available in 6 sizes. Select the correct size based on your dog's girth (measurement around the widest part of the rib cage). XX-Small: 13-17 inches (33-43 cm); X-Small: 17-22 inches (43-56 cm); Small: 22-27 inches (56-69 cm); Medium: 27-32 inches (69-81 cm); Large: 32-36 inches (81-91 cm); X-Large: 36-42 inches (91-107 cm). For in between sizes, choose the larger coat for more coverage. Washing Instructions: Secure the fasteners; Wash with cold water on gentle cycle with mild detergent; Hang dry. Do NOT bleach, iron or dry clean.
Color: Graphite Gray | Size: X-Small
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Legal DisclaimerActual product packaging and materials may contain more and different information than what is shown on our website. We recommend that you do not rely solely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using the product.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
In my personal experience, I've achieved best results when pouring water directly on the vest while already outside. I've tried soaking the whole thing in the sink before and then wringing it out before putting it on my dog, but this results in the vest drying out fairly quickly, water dripping all over the house, and discomfort for the dog, as the inside of the vest gets wet. Instead, I prefer to put the vest on my dogs while it is still dry, take them outside, and then spray the outside of the vest with the hose without wringing. The vest will be soaking wet on the outside, but the dogs do not really mind this, as it is only permeable one-way. In other words, the lining of the vest is waterproof, so their fur doesn't get wet underneath, unless you miss with the hose! Because the absorbent material on the outside of the vest holds more water when you don't wring it, the cooling/drying process happens more slowly, keeping your dog cooler for longer.
I have seen some people say that the vest works for up to two hours before needing to be "recharged," depending on your region/weather. I do not know what region or temperature that is in, but mine seems to dry faster than this, so keep in mind that YMMV depending on where you live. My dogs are very fluffy and are never outside long enough for me to test just how long this vest actually lasts on a single charge, but I do know it makes a difference and could probably last at least an hour, MAYBE two, in my conditions when fully wet. I prefer to rewet mine when I can, to keep the dogs extra cool.
I've noticed that my boys show more energy and excitement when wearing this. They don't pant as hard or drag their feet like they did before the vest. As I said, this can last a good long while, but for good measure, I personally like to rewet the vest every 15-30 minutes, even though it's still cool and wet. Again, YMMV, but I like it!