Ruffwear Swamp Cooler, Cooling Vest for Dogs, Graphite Gray, Large
|Price:||$59.95 & FREE Shipping|
- STAY COOL: The Swamp Cooler’s layered construction is designed to keep your dog cool when the temperature rises. The outer layer reflects heat and facilitates evaporation while the middle layer absorbs and stores water.
- STAY COMFORTABLE: The comfortable inner layer transfers the Swamp Cooler’s cooling effect to your dog. Additionally, the vest style offers good coverage and maximum shade.
- GEAR UP AND GO: The side release buckles allow for easy on and off, letting you and your dog spend less time gearing up and more time adventuring.
- LAYER UP: The Swamp Cooler is compatible with the Front Range Harness and the Web Master Harness. Simply attach the leash to the harness through the convenient leash portal.
- EXTENDING ADVENTURES: With the reflective trim, you and your dog can stay out longer. Want to go the extra mile? Attach Ruffwear’s Beacon Light (not included) to the built-in light loop.
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
The Ruffwear Swamp Cooler uses natural evaporative cooling to keep your dog cool. Soak it in cold water, wring it out, and fasten around your dog. Evaporative cooling exchanges the dog's heat as water evaporates from the coat's reservoir. Temperatures drop through the phase transition of liquid water to water vapor, mimicking the cooling effect of humans' sweat. The Swamp Cooler's light color is designed to reflect heat from the sun. Combined with the evaporative cooling effect, the Swamp Cooler will keep dogs comfortable and ready to run that extra mile. Auto-lock buckles on each side of the jacket provide easy on/off. The Swamp Cooler is available in 6 sizes. Select the correct size based on your dog's girth (measurement around the widest part of the rib cage). XX-Small: 13-17 inches (33-43 cm); X-Small: 17-22 inches (43-56 cm); Small: 22-27 inches (56-69 cm); Medium: 27-32 inches (69-81 cm); Large: 32-36 inches (81-91 cm); X-Large: 36-42 inches (91-107 cm). For in between sizes, choose the larger coat for more coverage. Washing Instructions: Secure the fasteners; Wash with cold water on gentle cycle with mild detergent; Hang dry. Do NOT bleach, iron or dry clean.
Color: Graphite Gray (2017) | Size: Large
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
In my personal experience, I've achieved best results when pouring water directly on the vest while already outside. I've tried soaking the whole thing in the sink before and then wringing it out before putting it on my dog, but this results in the vest drying out fairly quickly, water dripping all over the house, and discomfort for the dog, as the inside of the vest gets wet. Instead, I prefer to put the vest on my dogs while it is still dry, take them outside, and then spray the outside of the vest with the hose without wringing. The vest will be soaking wet on the outside, but the dogs do not really mind this, as it is only permeable one-way. In other words, the lining of the vest is waterproof, so their fur doesn't get wet underneath, unless you miss with the hose! Because the absorbent material on the outside of the vest holds more water when you don't wring it, the cooling/drying process happens more slowly, keeping your dog cooler for longer.
I have seen some people say that the vest works for up to two hours before needing to be "recharged," depending on your region/weather. I do not know what region or temperature that is in, but mine seems to dry faster than this, so keep in mind that YMMV depending on where you live. My dogs are very fluffy and are never outside long enough for me to test just how long this vest actually lasts on a single charge, but I do know it makes a difference and could probably last at least an hour, MAYBE two, in my conditions when fully wet. I prefer to rewet mine when I can, to keep the dogs extra cool.
I've noticed that my boys show more energy and excitement when wearing this. They don't pant as hard or drag their feet like they did before the vest. As I said, this can last a good long while, but for good measure, I personally like to rewet the vest every 15-30 minutes, even though it's still cool and wet. Again, YMMV, but I like it!