Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now

Showing 41-50 of 214 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 232 reviews
on January 5, 2014
Written in character, taut, tense, yet still lyrical and poetic, this feels like facing working in the sex trade near the time of World War I. Amy Tan can transport us to China and be so compelling that real life is a little blurred and confusing on putting down the book. She is capable of taking the personal to create the universal. Well worth reading.
on June 8, 2014
but Amy Tan was spot on with this one. Not much changes in the world between men and women. I guess because men and women don't actually change that much. Why is that? She doesn't even try to answer that one, but she tells the virgin exactly what is expected of her.
on April 24, 2013
Amy Tan is always an excellent read with her good taste in her carefulness at presenting characters and describing events. It's almost as good as being there. In this particular novella, she takes us to a place that has been forbidden in the past (nice girls don't read or do such things) and does her usual magic with her subject matter. She sets the stage for your imagination of a time gone by with realistic facts. I can't wait for her new book!.
on April 29, 2013
I did enjoy the read, but as most others have noted, it ends abruptly.

If this is a precursor for a real book, then its a good preview.. if not.. it just leaves you hanging.
It doesn't begin or end. Its as if you picked up a book, and read 3 chapters in the middle and then put it back down.

I got this on sale for $.99 cents during a kindle daily deal. I think for $2.99 people should question where their money went.
on February 2, 2014
Another winner for Amy Tan. I have been looking forward to reading ,for many years , her next book and the wait has been worthwhile. I have read the whole book The Valley of Amazement as well and am pleased that Ms Tan continues to weave intergenerational tales of Asian (and Western) families.
on December 30, 2011
Amy Tan's story is very entertaining. Magic Gourd delivers matter-of-fact advice to the virgin in a tone that is serious yet humorous. Tan's clever use of words create funny descriptions instead of stating the obvious. All her professional life, Magic Gourd has distanced her emotions from her profession in order to be the most desirable courtesan, until the end, where the reader gets a glimpse of her emotions. All done in a few sentences.

Well done! Well-worth the wait and $2.99.

(I'm going to put the experience of Magic Gourd to good use. I've been doing everything wrong - wearing a mouth guard, snoring, shouting in my sleep. Thank you Ms. Tan!)
on December 11, 2011
When I first saw this single came out, I was quite excited for it as any fan of Amy Tan would. Rules for a Virgin is a fantastic prequel which has been well written. Full of vivid and colorful imagery and gives a glimpse into the life of a courtesan in training. This is one of the first Kindle singles I have purchased and I have to admit, it went above and beyond my expectation. This novella is full of humor, darkness, and all of the topics you'd expect to hear about as a courtesan. If you don't mind paying 2.99 for just a little over 40 pages, then this is definitely for you. And even if you feel that it's too much, the read is definitely worth it.
on September 28, 2013
Perfect for those who loved "Memoirs of a Geisha" or "The Buddha In the Attic"
Great insight into the world of glamorized prostitution and the defilement of a woman's worth.
Brilliantly written story in the form of instruction/advice from experienced courtesan to one in training.
on January 23, 2014
Amy Tan has a wonderful way of painting tragic stories in the most fun colorful sweeps! This wasn't my favourite story by her, but it's a quick and interesting read. I would recommend this to anyone with a short flight or who is stuck in a waiting room :)
on February 3, 2014
I'm not sufficiently philosophically endowed to determine how to recommend this book. I put it down at about the halfway mark and decided to read something else more to my taste. There are some, I'm sure, who would get a kick out of it, but not me.