- Series: Pre-Shannara: Word and Void (Book 1)
- Mass Market Paperback: 448 pages
- Publisher: Del Rey (May 27, 1998)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0345422589
- ISBN-13: 978-0345422583
- Product Dimensions: 4.2 x 1.2 x 6.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 8 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 296 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #127,304 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.97 shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Running With the Demon (The Word and the Void Trilogy, Book 1) Mass Market Paperback – May 27, 1998
|New from||Used from|
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Inside Flap
In a sleepy steel-mill town, the ultimate battle between Good and Evil is about to begin . . .
Sinnissippi Park, in Hopewell, Illinois, has long hidden a mysterious evil, locked away from humankind by powers greater than most could even imagine. But now the malevolent creatures that normally skulk in the shadows of the park grow bolder, and old secrets hint at a violent explosion.
The brewing conflict draws John Ross to Hopewell. A Knight of the Word, Ross is plagued by nightmares that tell him someone evil is coming to unleash an ancient horror upon the world. Caught between them is fourteen-year-old Nest Freemark, who senses that something is terribly wrong but has not yet learned to wield the budding power that sets her apart from her friends.
Now the future of humanity depends upon a man haunted by his dreams and a gifted young girl--two souls who will discover what survives when hope and innocence are shattered forever . . .
From the Back Cover
"FABULOUS . . . A breathtaking run of near-catastrophes and revelations . . . His fans should embrace it as eagerly as they have The Sword of Shannara."
--Publishers Weekly (starred review)
"Running with the Demon is by far the best of Terry Brooks's many wonderful novels: darker, starker, classically written, and with a brand new mythos to fuel its contemporary plot. I couldn't put it down."
"A darkly tinged contemporary fantasy."
--San Francisco Chronicle
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I found this book to be well written but in a much different manner than anything I've read by Brooks before. Rather than relying on the characters to act out the story through scenes with corresponding dialog Brooks instead leaned heavily on narration to tell the story. For me that made a lot of the book painfully slow. I'd say I tolerated this style change because I knew that Brooks has typically written wonderful endings to each of the other books I've read. And I've got to tell you honestly that the last 40% of the book flew by like lightning and were exceptional. So why would I only give this 3 stars? Well I don't care for the narration method that he used for the other 60% of the book. The story was well thought out, well plotted and would have been stellar if he had not narrated so much of it.
Is the book worth reading? I'd have to say yes. Very much so. Just go into it knowing that some of the book will be slower than his norm and that if you persist through the slow stuff you will be rewarded with a great ending. I liked the book enough to keep going in the series - in fact I've already started the 2nd book and so far its wonderful (he seems to have dropped the narration!).
Brooks does a nice job of capturing the feel of a community in turmoil, and the casting of the story as being a struggle between the Word (Order) and Void (Chaos) resonates in today's troubled world. The concept that the forces of the Void are constantly pushing ordinary people to do things they wouldn't normally do, and that all it takes is reaching a certain tipping point for the Void to win, is something I think that we all can relate to.
The only downside is that there is a fairly large amount of setup in this book, and may not be enough "action" for some fans of traditional fantasy (which is the category that many of the other Shannara books fall into). In addition, the very setting that I mention above as a strength is so different from the first books of the Shannara series that fans of those early works may not be fans of the Word & Void series.