Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,262 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,366 reviews
on November 11, 2016
If your trying to decide between these and the similar Champion brand shorts, maybe this will help. Both are good shorts with similar quality. The only difference I see is the Russell shorts are maybe 1.5" longer and seem to be slightly "roomier". I like the length of the Champion shorts while standing, but they become too short for my liking while doing certain exercises. In the end I give a slight preference to the Russell shorts. The length is at or slightly below the knee, but perfect when squats or other similar exercises.
review image review image
22 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2014
I bought the same size (2XL) and similar style of three brands of active mesh shorts with pockets: Russell Athletic (http://amazon.com/dp/B00719ZQG6), Champion (http://amazon.com/dp/B0036OS6LW), and Starter (found in-store at Walmart).

I typically wear size 48 or 50 (48 is typically snug, 50 a tad loose). All three of these products advertise 2XL as fitting sizes 46-48. Due to the stretchiness, I found all three fit more forgivingly than my typical size, but otherwise were true to size. All three are very comfortable.

For length, the starter are the shortest (but not embarrassingly so), Champion has a medium length, and Russell comes just past my knee.

All three are slightly see-through (Starter least so), but not enough so that anyone could see anything from a casual inspection, especially if you wear similar colors underneath. I got all dark colors (either Navy or Black), so YMMV with lighter colors.

Of the three, I prefer the fit of the Russell Athletic the most. Champion tends to slip down in the back, as does the Starter to slightly a lesser degree. Because of this, with both the Champion and Starter I have to be very careful of the weight I put in the pockets; putting in my phone, wallet, and keys will make both brands quickly end up on the floor, whereas in the Russell I had no trouble walking around carrying all of those items. I have not tried running with that much weight yet. I still like both the Starter and Champion enough to keep them, but I would buy Russell next time instead.
44 comments| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2017
Ordered two pair. I looked at the size chart and ordered large. I am 200+lbs at five foot ten inchestall. I wear a somewhat tight 38 inch waist. What I got was one pair of shorts that should have been labeled extra large and one pair labeled small. The small fit the way the correct large size. The other was so loose it wouldn't stay up. As it turns out my wife likes the small one. She was a thirty inch waist. So I won't be hassled with returning them. I will keep them. Any future shoppers should be warned that the manufacturer doesn't know what he is doing.
on May 19, 2017
I ordered the black pair of these shorts (size L) and liked them. They came to my half-knee and were roomy around my rear. In other words, they didn't ride down when I sat. No hint of plumbers /////. Waist fit well, too. So, I ordered this red pair. Even though I ordered size L again, this pair was larger and longer; came down below my knee. Fortunately my wife is excellent at hemming clothes so she hemmed these up 3/4" and they now are the right length. As for being larger,, I can live with that even though they are pretty baggy. I like them. But buyer beware, not all size L shorts are created equal.
on April 5, 2017
Fits as expected. Really nice the cloth texture and feel. Great for workouts. Pockets could have been little deeper but it's fine.
Updating the review: one star because the strings are coming off on their own. Way to easily and within first few days of wear. Not even washed once.
It's not going to hold longer.
on March 15, 2017
I'm a wee dude and while the waist fits (especially being able to adjust drawstring), they just are made for bigger men. My fault, should have seen the bagginess and length of shorts in picture. Should have bought an L or XL version in Boys instead. Orange is a fantastic color though and pockets are appreciated. There is a soft lining that makes them a bit less breathable, but means no see-through problems.
on May 30, 2016
Good shorts for the price. The white is pretty transparent; if I wear anything remotely dark underneath, it's very visible. I really bought these to wear over running tights, though, so that's not an issue for me. The shorts do a good job of wicking moisture and appear to be well made. The medium fits my 34" waist well, and they go to just about my knees. I don't know my true inseam, but I wear either 34" or 36" inseam dress pants. Having a pocket is always nice. There's nothing really special about these, but they do exactly what I expect them to do at a very reasonable price.
on July 28, 2016
Since I've been working from home I decided "why dress up when no one sees me?" So I got a pair of these to test out. Very comfy, breathes great, and has pockets for phone or keys. Size was spot on. I'm in between a 38 and 40, and got a large. Will be ordering a few more pairs.

Update: I've since ordered 3 more of these (for a total of 4). Two out of the four have very shallow pockets compared to the other two. One out of the four feel tight around my groin. I've compared and checked and they all appear to be the same size, so I'm not really sure how/why it happened. None of these are enough of an issue that would cause me to return any, but i docked a star for the inconsistent pockets and sizing.
on June 6, 2017
I purchased 3 pair of Russell Athletic Men's Mesh Pocket Shorts--red, navy blue and stealth (black). They all fit fine and are made of good quality material. My only complaint is the red pair does not have a draw string. In addition to the three pair this time, I've purchased at least 5 pair previously, and they all have draw strings, with just one exception--the red pair. I will keep them, because I don't want the hassle of sending them back, but it would have been nice to have a draw string to keep them from slipping down during my more intense workouts.
on September 27, 2016
I bought two pars of shorts, the Russell Athletic Men's Mesh (this) and the Champion Men's Long Mesh Short with Pockets. The quality of the Champion shorts far exceeds these Russell shorts, despite the Russel costing even more at the time of the review.

---FEEL---
These shorts are coarse against the skin, which I find abrasive during athletic activities. The Champions on the other hard are much softer allowing easier movement.

--WEIGHT--
The Russell shorts are slightly heftier, but not by much. If you like your workout shorts to have some heft to them, go for this.

--SIZING--
The Russell shorts fit true to size. Similar fit to the Champions.

Granted, these are workout shorts and you can't expect to much for how they're priced. If you're not sure, buy both and see. Click "yes" below if you find that I'm right.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.