Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on November 11, 2016
If your trying to decide between these and the similar Champion brand shorts, maybe this will help. Both are good shorts with similar quality. The only difference I see is the Russell shorts are maybe 1.5" longer and seem to be slightly "roomier". I like the length of the Champion shorts while standing, but they become too short for my liking while doing certain exercises. In the end I give a slight preference to the Russell shorts. The length is at or slightly below the knee, but perfect when squats or other similar exercises.
review imagereview image
22 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 11, 2014
I bought the same size (2XL) and similar style of three brands of active mesh shorts with pockets: Russell Athletic (http://amazon.com/dp/B00719ZQG6), Champion (http://amazon.com/dp/B0036OS6LW), and Starter (found in-store at Walmart).

I typically wear size 48 or 50 (48 is typically snug, 50 a tad loose). All three of these products advertise 2XL as fitting sizes 46-48. Due to the stretchiness, I found all three fit more forgivingly than my typical size, but otherwise were true to size. All three are very comfortable.

For length, the starter are the shortest (but not embarrassingly so), Champion has a medium length, and Russell comes just past my knee.

All three are slightly see-through (Starter least so), but not enough so that anyone could see anything from a casual inspection, especially if you wear similar colors underneath. I got all dark colors (either Navy or Black), so YMMV with lighter colors.

Of the three, I prefer the fit of the Russell Athletic the most. Champion tends to slip down in the back, as does the Starter to slightly a lesser degree. Because of this, with both the Champion and Starter I have to be very careful of the weight I put in the pockets; putting in my phone, wallet, and keys will make both brands quickly end up on the floor, whereas in the Russell I had no trouble walking around carrying all of those items. I have not tried running with that much weight yet. I still like both the Starter and Champion enough to keep them, but I would buy Russell next time instead.
44 comments| 198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 7, 2017
Our 14 y/o son is 5'10 and about 142 lbs and we ordered an AS. He ran his first half marathon in the pouring rain clocking a 1 hr 55 minutes finish time in these and there was no rubbing or bunching in weird places and they stayed put. Would DEFINITELY order them again for anything athletic.
review image
Russell Athletic Men's Mesh Pocket Short, Black, XX-Large

Big guys rejoice! Cool in the heat but not drafty. Firm on the waist but not constricting.

These are B I G shorts and i love it. I don't need my man parts pressed against material tighter than a bull's bottom in fly season.
My legs can breathe and I am very comfortable sitting around the house or being active or actively sitting around the house... what? its's possible!

These may run a bit large for some people so keep that in mind. If you like to wear spandex, these are not for you.

The craftsmanship on these seems really good as well. I expect these to last me a good long time as I only seem to grow horizontally now and these will grow with me.

If you like loose fit and long breathable shorts that isn't loose around the waist or "holster" then these will serve you well as they did me.
on March 21, 2016
These are very sheer and thin. The pockets are NOT lined. So they are mesh (holes) on one side of each pocket and the cheap poly liner as the other side of each pocket. Not likely to hold up well. If you carry more weight in your rear or have large thighs, there's plenty of room. As another reviewer mentioned, the draw string and other aspects make these good for losing or gaining weight. I purchased the Maroon, Black, and Navy, and really like the Maroon because the color looks black at certain angles and deep Maroon at other angles. Overall these are pretty cheap and I wouldn't recommend. If shorts have pockets they should be lined. You should be able to put your keys in them without fear of tearing a hole in the mesh.

***UPDATE 6/18/2017***

Last year after purchasing 3 pair, I was mostly satisfied but found them a bit thin. What changed? A year later and all pairs held up quite well so I just got the Steel/light grey pair. These are what you'd call a relaxed fit short with an inseam of exactly 9 inches.
Where these will hit your knee really depends on your weight and how high or low you like to wear 'em. They're still sheer so I wear mine like basketball players over tights. One difference this year would be the shorter drawstring, which is fine as the elastic holds them up well. The logo on the side of the short used to be a cheap heat transfer which peeled off. Now there's an embroidered logo giving these a bit more class. I absolutely would recommend.

With 4 pairs of these I'm now poised for world domination.
review imagereview image
on April 5, 2017
Fits as expected. Really nice the cloth texture and feel. Great for workouts. Pockets could have been little deeper but it's fine.
Updating the review: one star because the strings are coming off on their own. Way to easily and within first few days of wear. Not even washed once.
It's not going to hold longer.
on March 15, 2017
I'm a wee dude and while the waist fits (especially being able to adjust drawstring), they just are made for bigger men. My fault, should have seen the bagginess and length of shorts in picture. Should have bought an L or XL version in Boys instead. Orange is a fantastic color though and pockets are appreciated. There is a soft lining that makes them a bit less breathable, but means no see-through problems.
on September 13, 2017
As others have said, they run a slight touch tight. Keep in mind they're highly stretchy, so there's tons of flexibility to work with. But when compared to other similar shorts of the same size, these are a touch tighter for sure. It hasn't bothered me in the slightest though. I don't think I'd recommend sizing up. I'm 6' 2" 210lbs and the Large fits fine. The length is fine too. Falls almost exactly as shown in the Amazon picture. For the price, they're certainly worth it and I'd buy them again.
on September 1, 2012
I have 3 pairs of these athletic shorts and they are great at wicking moisture. I can spend hours working out on the treadmill, and they remain perfectly dry. Elliptical? not even close to wet. Hours working outside in the hot GA summer sun? You bet, perfectly dry. As another reviewer mentioned, the Russell logo did start peeling on one pair of my shorts after a few weeks. On another pair, the drawstring got torn out after it got snagged on other clothing in the dryer. The shorts however have enough stretch in the waist that I never, ever, ever needed the drawstring. I could care less about the Russell logo, these shorts are perfect for me.
0Comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 22, 2018
I'm 6.4" and about 245 right now. have lost about 70 pounds in last year.

I've found my new favorite shorts. They come down to the knee...maybe just slightly above it. Not too short...hard to find at my height!

I wear a Smart Carry holster with a Glock 26 and a GLock 17 back up mag in the holster....at pretty much all times. These shorts (in 4x) are baggie enough to not show the gun at all - even in the light grey color. I'll be adding more pairs when more colors come available in my size.

again...if you are tall....it's really hard to find shorts long enough to not look like a 70;s commercial - these actually ARE long enough.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.