Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 25 reviews
on July 31, 2013
Eleanor had been disillusioned by her first attempt at love and then meets the new Earl of Rutherford. He unfortunately has thus far not lived his life as she thinks he should have. He has traveled to far countries and seen the things Eleanor has wanted to see. She bristles at the lack of freedom for females to do things and to travel to exotic places. Men get to have all the fun. She believes he has ignored his responsibility, while she has shouldered hers.

Over the period of time spent at a house party the couple discover more about each other. She begins to understand how stifling his childhood was, and he sees why she has wrapped her feelings in armor.

I did enjoy the interaction between Eleanor and Drayton, though the wager between them seemed silly to me -- but I guess it was a way to move the plot along. And I didn't care for the romance between the younger sister and Drayton`s friend. He struck me as being a complete cad and she too young to be at that sort of gathering. It seemed to me the young ladies aunt was shirking her responsibility as a chaperon.

A bit too much description of costumes and dresses in general for my liking. I prefer more dialogue to get an understanding of the characters rather than what they are wearing or what the room looked like. The one character Euphemia didn't seem to serve any purpose at all to me.

I would recommend the story however. It was overall an entertaining story.
on June 23, 2013
This book reads somewhat roughly. It reads like a debut book written by a self-published author, which it very well could be for all I know. Some of the word usage is awkward and the editing is rather atrocious. There are dashed black lines in strange places that appear to be page breaks. But the story is good. I greatly disliked the ending however. The lukewarm mystery/intrigue was wrapped up far too neatly and while the main pairing had their HEA, the pairing that actually captured my attention went down in absolute flames. With no foreseeable chance of recovery. It almost makes me hope that a sequel is in the works. I do applaud the author for refusing to bow to trope and reward an impetuous innocent with a neatly reformed rake wrapped in a bow. And while the ending really unsettled me as far as Astrid' s future, I have to give the author props. That is the realistic way it would have happened. It was a story that was better than the writing allowed. If a second work does appear I would consider it. Recommended.
on June 29, 2013
Sisters Eleanor and Astrid and their Aunt Louisa attend a house party at the home of Lord Drayton and his mother. Lord Drayton's irresponsible behavior reminds Eleanor of the man who broke her heart the previous year and she struggles to keep her distance from him despite their powerful, mutual attraction. This story is well written and moves along at a steady pace. There are plenty of secondary characters to add interest and there's a small amount of mystery with Lord Drayton investigating who has been stealing money from his estate. The big conflict is whether Lord Drayton will stay in England and marry Eleanor or will he leave again and continue traveling around the world? The reader doesn't find out until the very end of the book.
on February 5, 2013
Though the storyline and characters are fully developed and wholly believable, the atrocious editing distracted the reader to the point of frustration! Please dear author, invest in a better editor and your books will continue to delight even the most devoted Austen fan!
on July 21, 2013
Really enjoyed this book and characters and look forward to the 3 remaining sisters stories. It does seem to go into a bit of darkness just past the middle in regards to a certain liaison. To me it seemed to break the innocence of the story. There were several editing errors towards the end of the book that were distracting. Also reminded me quite a bit of Pride and Prejudice mixed with Lisa Kleypas heroines in her Wallflower series.
on September 9, 2016
The book is an easy read, and enough to keep you going. I wish it hadn't ended so soon. Sequel???
on January 14, 2013
I frequently read new authors but this authors will be on my "do not read list". I can excuse the occasional misspelling but the total incorrect usage of a word I cannot overlook. E.g. new instead of knew, waste instead of waist, steel instead of steal - not to mention using the word rustle as an adjective. Due to the positive reviews, I'm trying to figure out if the reviewers are all related or just lacking in education not to know the difference. I got the book for free and seriously want my money back.
on January 8, 2013
I would recommend this book for readers that enjoy the Jane Austen type genre. Good story line and characters. Enjoy.
on March 5, 2014
Wonderful story telling!! The characters are endearing and funny. The book reminded me of Pride and Prejudice. I definitely recommend it to anyone who loves regency romance.
on January 6, 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book. I hope she will write sequels. I would be pleased to further acquaint myself with the characters.